Ego’s

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I Feel like huge leak for many players is letting their ego stand in the way of learning. What are y’alls thoughts?

veritasi

veritasi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think, learning is a great power, but sometimes it's hard to work hard because of laziness=)

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I Feel like huge leak for many players is letting their ego stand in the way of learning. What are y’alls thoughts?

I don’t think it’s ego. I’m just better than everyone. If I lose it’s because you cheated or you paid off the dealer. 🤪

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think laziness is a greater problem in the path to learning

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think, learning is a great power, but sometimes it's hard to work hard because of laziness=)

I am not discounting laziness as a hindrance to learning, but in my experience with trying to talk hands, or have poker conversations the Ego stands in the way. Not even just from discussing poker topics, but the worst is from people not being able to take knowledge given to them in because in their mind (even if they are losing players) what they are doing is correct and they just chalk it up to variance, and bad luck. I agree that laziness is a huge hurdle that many players struggle to get over in the efforts of improving their game.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t think it’s ego. I’m just better than everyone. If I lose it’s because you cheated or you paid off the dealer. 🤪

LOL I like that. Sadly some people truly believe that

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think laziness is a greater problem in the path to learning

I don't disagree with you that laziness is a big issue for some players when it comes to learning fundamentals or sharpening their game, but in my experience even those players that are not lazy and spend 6+ hours a day studying, and then playing. Constantly putting the time needed into poker. They will consistently lose over a large sample size using all the correct avenues to take their game to the next level, but still be a losing player because the information that they are studying and the time they are playing in the back of their mind they already know what the right answer is (in their mind). With this mindset they may as well not even spent the time studying or hearing advice or analysis because no matter what people tell them they made the right move.. they just "got unlucky". I get that it's hard to put massive amounts of time into a game and still feel like you are behind the curve, but I truly believe if people humbled themselves and allowed all information to sink in they could get over that hump and make it to the next level. But yes I do agree that laziness is another factor holding people back.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I often read the players complaints that they lost because the opponent played incorrectly.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes its good to be realistic and humble but a bit of ego and meglomania needed at times
if you want to succeed you require a bit of ego and relentless drive
as poker and life can be quite hard.
always be looking to learn though as it is a curve nice thread :)
admitting ones own mistakes instead of cursing oponents is the way to go
because you can not change opponent but can change yourself good luck.:icon_thum

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes its good to be realistic and humble but a bit of ego and meglomania needed at times
if you want to succeed you require a bit of ego and relentless drive
as poker and life can be quite hard.
always be looking to learn though as it is a curve nice thread :)
admitting ones own mistakes instead of cursing oponents is the way to go
because you can not change opponent but can change yourself good luck.:icon_thum

A bit of ego is fine. Just not letting it hinder you from learning is my point. Thanks for the reply.

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
It is important what we learn and whether we will use it! It's important from whom we learn and why. Sometimes players like learning all; like playing tournament and like learning cash game; on the basis, my friend likes it, I like must this too! First choice, good mindset, motivation, dreams and then learning.

Z

Zikasamaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most players be in plusplaying poker for onje month and they think that they play like proos,and in that point stop learning poker because they think that they is a proos already,so best players in world studding poker so thats way they is the best,learning poker is key for successs

es530

es530

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Not only in poker in general is the ego something to be
observed, because if you leave without observation, take care of everything and pass through us.
And that is the problem, the moment it takes, we are on the way to failure.

veritasi

veritasi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think that many people think that than other people minds can disserve them. But yes, maybe it's ego)

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ego is the enemy.Maybe enemy number one when it comes to playing poker for serious amount of money.Someone will maybe tell yes you are wright ego is the enemy in real poker when you play with real humans but what about online poker?Believe when you sit at cash table with some high sum lets say 1000$ and you see other 5 player with similar amount of money you will like you belong there,in that rich man club.That's the ego.That's why when you start to losing money your brain comes with shit tones of rationalization's and excuses.The whole world is against me,everybody wants my money,how is even possible that i lose with this pair of cards in my hand,this game is fixed are some of them.My personal opinion is that every great player is able to control his ego to a certain level but not in fullest.The much he controls it, the much bigger his success becomes.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I know I'm not a good player, but I'm trying to learn new things each day and I don't blame others for how they play. I'm trying to improve my own game if I can. Along the way if others improve their games it makes me want to improve my own game more. I'm trying to play at my best all the time, but I know I will never be able to get there. I wish I was a great player, but I know I'm not. There are a lot of leaks in my game that I have to work on.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure its just ego, although a lot do have that as an issue. I think its plain ignorance. I used to get pretty upset thinking people were making ridiculous calls against me. Then I started running them through an odds calculator to prove to myself how bad they played it. A lot of the time I realized I was way off and actually pricing people in to beat me, and when I wasn't, I still was not as far ahead as I had thought.

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you , but that depends , if your interested in something and u want to learn it , u will do ur best to learn and with time you will become betteer. So in the road of learning poker you will learn many things like patience and also you will find out that ego , making things personal , rush ... are not quality of a professional player.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I often read the players complaints that they lost because the opponent played incorrectly.

Luck favors bad players. To get lucky, you have to win by having an unlikely event occur in your favor. If you make good moves all the time, the probability would be in your favor. So if you win, you "should" win.

This is why players get angry when bad players get lucky. Unfortunately, on any given hand, luck is the biggest determining factor.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure its just ego, although a lot do have that as an issue. I think its plain ignorance. I used to get pretty upset thinking people were making ridiculous calls against me. Then I started running them through an odds calculator to prove to myself how bad they played it. A lot of the time I realized I was way off and actually pricing people in to beat me, and when I wasn't, I still was not as far ahead as I had thought.

That's good that you took that step, but the ignorance runs hand in hand with the Ego. What happens is because lets say player x thinks he has the best strategy and his way is right because he's the best and everyone else is just lucky. When it comes time to hear out a new strategy he ignores it because he already knows the best strategy in his mind, so because of this he is ignorant to the "better" strategy. I hope that everyone can learn to be open to new ideas and never say something is "wrong" until proven so over a long sample.

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have nothing left to learn- I'm already the best and I know everything.