Donk Bet

S

scragbag

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm pretty up to par that to 'Donk Bet' is leading OOP after calling a PFR with a board giving us middle pair or believeing that the board has missed our OPP, am i correct? Are there other forms of 'Donk Bets'?

Is this play in any means profitable and is it a tool we use in our arsenal?

Cheeeeeeeeeeers,

S

Sasskesse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are situations you could do that if for example your opponent is very aggressive, you have been tight and the blinds big enough to be worth it the risks.

Overall, though, betting OP with marginal hands in NL is not good. Unless you are making a blocking bet. As usual, the answer is: "It depends"

G

gns2003

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why is it called a donk bet? I never really heard of this term before. I am feeling very donkish because I have bet that way before and did not realize it was a bad move. I appreciate the advice here.

111-THEMAD-111

111-THEMAD-111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It also depends on your table image. If your image is super tight then this can be a good play depending on the kind of players you are dealing with.
If this is a loose table you may not want to do this.........

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm pretty up to par that to 'Donk Bet' is leading OOP after calling a PFR with a board giving us middle pair or believeing that the board has missed our OPP, am i correct? Are there other forms of 'Donk Bets'?
A donk bet is just leading into the aggressor on a previous street. It doesn't have to be with any particular hand.

Generally, leading into the pre-flop raiser with a hand like middle pair is terrible. You should be check/calling or check/raising most of the time. This way, the preflop raiser will make a continuation bet, and you will get the maximum from the vast majority of his range. Here's an example:

A super tight player raises from the button. For the sake of this example, he can only have 2 hands: AA & AK. You call from the BB with pocket 8's. The flop comes out 2h 3s 9c. If you bet, your opponent will throw away AK and call you (or raise) with AA. So your bet is only being called when you are beaten, and it has a negative expectation. However, if you check, sometimes he will bet AK, and you can get money from both AK & AA.

There are times when you want to lead into the PFR. For example, if you call a raise from the button and are holding Jh 10h] in the big blind. The flop comes out Jc 10s 8c, then you would want to lead into the PFR, for the following reasons:

1) It is unlikely that the pre-flop raiser will c-bet this flop, because it hits the range of a cold caller very hard, and it is quite scary.

2) There are many draws or made hands (like KJ) that the raiser could check back on the flop. You don't want to give a hand like AK or 98 a free card.

3) Leading here allows the preflop raiser to raise you on the flop with draws & other hands you beat. This is a much simpler way of bloating the pot, and it shows less strength than check/raising. Thus, its less likely to scare our opponent away. Plus, bet/3-betting has a larger chance of getting our opponent pot committed with whatever hand he may have.

BTW - I habitually raise donk bets like its my job. So often its a hand like middle pair that wants to "see where they are". So I lie to them. I call with top pair good kicker, and I raise when I have nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Originally Posted by ChuckTs
Donk betting means leading into the aggressor of the previous street. Ex: I raise pf, BB calls, the flop comes XYZ, he leads into me. He just donk bet.

Originally Posted by zachvac
Donk bet: Someone raises preflop, you call out of position. When you act first you bet out. That's considered a donk bet. It doesn't imply the person who does it is a donk, I'm actually not even sure where the term comes from.

Edit..Very nicely explained above by C9.

Last edited:
S

scragbag

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Urgent: you are all noobs! this is an urgent message and requires immediate attention... you are all probably losers as well and have nothing better to do than play online poker.... please leave your keyboard immediately and remove your other hand from your penis!
Thank you for your time

Get this idiot banned please

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
THUNKKK!!! That's the sound of a banhammer. I can sense one coming this way.

S

scragbag

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
/cheer

fyi,. thanks alot c9. I've been wondering whether to slam the hammer down myself when i get donked into, do you think this is profitable to do @ 2nl?