Do you think you have what it takes to play poker for a living?

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Do I have what it takes - maybe. Will I try - nope, don't think so.

This part felt a bit obscure though...

If you have the skills to learn to play poker and to make a good living, then you can be a computer programmer and make more money with benefits and job security, or start a business. Things that don’t even require a college education.
Is he steering us away from 'less honourable' jobs? 'Smart jobs' usually require college education, at least if one likes to have all the benefits of a big employer.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Hello

I do not think that I am financially or morally ready at the present time, especially since I cannot bet my livelihood, because this is very dangerous. Maybe in the future if I get lucky and win a good amount in a tournament, then I can allocate an appropriate amount to do it, but for the time being work whatever its conditions or level for me is more important than poker.
Because the truth is, if I am not financially and morally stable, I will not enjoy and focus properly in poker

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Do I have what it takes - maybe. Will I try - nope, don't think so.

This part felt a bit obscure though...

If you have the skills to learn to play poker and to make a good living, then you can be a computer programmer and make more money with benefits and job security, or start a business. Things that don’t even require a college education.

Is he steering us away from 'less honourable' jobs? 'Smart jobs' usually require college education, at least if one likes to have all the benefits of a big employer.

In my opinion, I think Chris was trying to compare the jobs that may require less education will possibly give you more of a wage than playing poker? At least, that's how I read it. :)

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To make a living poker, you have to devote all your time to poker. You have to constantly study, work on the game and not the fact that you will succeed. Not everyone is ready to go for it.

IXIX

IXIX

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You need a lot of time it seems to be able to become a profitable pro, I have a lot of time , but no bankroll , I do study a lot but only take what I learn to freerolls I have taken a freeroll win on wsop and grinder it to over $1000 only to buy into a wsop online bracelet event to not cash. I did almost cash it out before deciding to play the online event to maybe play live poker but thought if I could just cash in the wsop online event it would at least most likely double my bankroll but those thoughts were quickly disposed of. I’ve been trying the freeroll thing again since the wsop this year but I can say this time it’s not as exciting 😂 seems like I’m just clicking buttons and getting bored. I’d rather watch poker streams and do “what would you do in this position” for poker quizzes. Honestly, wsop online doesn’t get any fun until the wsop is coming up with all the satellites to events hopefully for 2022 I can get lucky and get a cheap seat to the main event I hope to one day play in it just to see and say I have. Sorry if this post seemed to drag on 😂 as you can see I also have way to much time on my hands 😂 :icon_sant

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You need a lot of time it seems to be able to become a profitable pro, I have a lot of time , but no bankroll , I do study a lot but only take what I learn to freerolls I have taken a freeroll win on wsop and grinder it to over $1000 only to buy into a wsop online bracelet event to not cash. I did almost cash it out before deciding to play the online event to maybe play live poker but thought if I could just cash in the wsop online event it would at least most likely double my bankroll but those thoughts were quickly disposed of. I’ve been trying the freeroll thing again since the wsop this year but I can say this time it’s not as exciting �� seems like I’m just clicking buttons and getting bored. I’d rather watch poker streams and do “what would you do in this position” for poker quizzes. Honestly, wsop online doesn’t get any fun until the wsop is coming up with all the satellites to events hopefully for 2022 I can get lucky and get a cheap seat to the main event I hope to one day play in it just to see and say I have. Sorry if this post seemed to drag on �� as you can see I also have way to much time on my hands �� :icon_sant

I think if we really put our minds to the task and remain focused it can be very possible to have a workable bankroll. Then there is the management of that bankroll and the mindset we have when we reach our goals. So, if we really want to build a bankroll, whether online or live, we need to practice practical bankroll management (and apply what you have learned, too) Be patient and it can happen.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good article I enjoyed the no nonsense read!
No plans on ever quitting the 9 the 5pm.
Keep poker as a part time hobby playing to raise a young family anyway would be way too stressful,
Children we are going to live in a tent Daddy got his aces cracked again.:laugh:

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Overall, it's an interesting read. I think it far better to read about the travails of being a poker pro than someone pretending everyone has the potential...

However, some points are over the top.

[/FONT]
"I don’t know of any other job (aside from maybe a trauma or ER doctor) where you’re making critical decisions in complicated spots at least 100 times an hour and working full time".[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]

[/FONT]
That is hyperbole. First, no player plays the majority of hands and many decisions become second nature. The amount of hands that are truly stressful is small. Further as many pros play cash there is nothing to stop you getting up from the table whenever you feel you have had enough.[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
Try that in the real world. When having a bad day you can't simply say enough, I am done
[/FONT]
and walk away.[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
Further there are countless people in management positions (for example) who shoulder the responsibility for the business venture itself, its employees as well as the public they interact with. Many of those run operations which are open seven days a week 24 hours a day. What does he imagine comprises running a decent sized hotel everyday? The housekeeping, the laundry, the food services etc. etc. The planning, the daily operations, training to the point where each and every guest interaction is handled with courtesy?
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
What about bankers and commodity traders? What about airline operations and mining ventures, what about utility providers keeping the power and water running?
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
Sorry to push back here. I understand the majority of people who work are filling a role (even then vital) and take direction from superiors...but the world is also full of very capable people who take stress and daily complications in their stride and they keep the infrastructure of life ticking over whilst most do not even give it a moments thought.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
I grasp a point is trying to be made here, and it is a valuable one, but I think the argument is better made (at least to a reader such as myself) if things are a little more grounded.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
I think one aspect of being a poker pro which could make for a very interesting article, a long form serious piece, would be about the breakthrough point when someone did believe they could make it on a professional level.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
My impression is that occurred when a talented player moved up in stakes and encountered a good run. He or she could then contemplate an extended run at said level (or with backers who now firmly believed in the players ability) and they transformed into a solid pro.[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
The flip side being the numerous talented players who tried to move up into the big leagues, failed at the attempt, lost confidence and or backers and shied away from the idea of being a full time professional.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
In short, run good at the precise time needed. Of course several players have talked about that transformation but I have wanted a writer take a deep dive into that transition point for a long time and think it could make for a great book, let alone long piece article.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I absolutely do not. I do not have the ability to mentally withstand the lows that occur in poker if I was relying on the game as my sole source of income.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
making MANY critical decisions while working LONG hours and often doing so while losing 10's of thousands of dollars for months & months at a time. < THIS is the reality for any MTT player.
One can be playing optimally, be better than the majority of players they are playing against while losing many, many buyins. A tough grind no doubt.

Jdawglet

Jdawglet

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I wish I had the time to try. I barley find enough time to play online free rolls from my house. No way do I have the time for multi day tournaments.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am halfway to achieving this goal.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Poker is a lot of hard work like Chris said. That is why I will keep it as a hobby that takes my mind off the hard work that involves my job. Poker is a good escape from that reality. I put in the work for poker when I want to. I like to be mine own boss because nobody is as hard on me as myself. Poker is a hard game to be a winner at.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the problem with idioms like "have what it takes" is it implies someone has something already where unless you're really lucky or just plain talented & worked hard at it, no one "has" anything. The gist of what I'm trying to say is that with Poker it takes a combination of a lot of things to achieve long-term success. You also have to be lucky enough to have the chance to pursue it, most aren't.
After mastering the poker game! which is a feat by itself, moving on you have to have already had a habit of budgeting or just be lucky enough to exist in the Poker era of the past where fish were plenty until u got it right, if not, you'll suffer for a bit until u get it right, you then need to master the ins & outs of the drudgery which is the grind. You have to have a certain kind of love for Poker, I think most just don't love Poker THAT MUCH to put in that much volume, Volume is EVERYTHING! BRM is EVERYTHING! Someone said "It's a hard way to make an easy living" but it doesn't have to be!

Uncloggie

Uncloggie

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably, but I don't want to give up my job. If I had no other income I'd probably give it a go.

N

Notsoyoungrich

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty scary to try, but everything worth doing is scary. Just gotta do it. I won money in a freeroll for the first time today. I think I got what it takes!

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good article and an interesting read for sure but in all honesty, unless you have the bank roll to start with, its not even a consideration.
Its also impossible and irrelevant to compare the decision making processes/stresses with that of a role like a trauma/ER/medical professional so i wont comment further on that, i get the thread of what has been said previously but for me - those are different worlds and require far different thinking processes and rationale and can not even be compared.
Key ingredients to consider if you have what it takes aside from initial bankroll are , time/commitments elsewhere (family)/travel (if you are a live player)/personal relationships, your set up at home amongst probably many other considerations.

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No I don't think I have what it takes to make a living at playing poker. That takes a lot of skill and luck and I don't think I have enough of either.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The problem with becoming a Professional poker player and giving up you job would be your new job is playing poker. Most people play for the fun of love of the game. If poker becomes a job you will not be enjoying it as much since its now work and let's be honest. Who really wants to work?

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice article; surprised how quickly that read felt to me - I especially liked the experiment with 50,000 hands to "test it out" :cool: