Do Bad Beats change your play

T

tiltedskill2130

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have noticed that when i get a really bad beat it changes the way i play and how i bet..Is this me tilting or am i just running bad. I have been told to sit out and walk away for a few minutes..How do you guys deal with the bad beats or bad play that you run into ?

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you notice that after a bad beat you start to play as a maniac player then you probably are on tilt. I’m used to with bad beats so I just keep playing, but if I notice that I’m trying to recover my losses playing more loose aggressively, I try to stop play poker and I go do something else.

3gdata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, 888poker, zoom NL2, about two days ago.

I have an active $10 payout and $2 for a little play. I sat at the NL2 zoom table with $0.80 in the morning and tried my luck. Experienced a real carddead period for about 2.5 hours. From my $2 it turned to 0.89. What do you think I did? Kept playing for another 2.5 hours and make $11 from that $0.89, went for my cashier, give them another $10 payout and left $1 for futher playing.
Got lucky? I don't think so.

R

RUNRRUNRTO

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m practically immune to bad beats now but Bad beats could definitely have an effect on how you play. You may play more cautiously, or you might tilt and become very aggressive. It’s important to recognize how you are feeling when you do encounter a bad beat or few and then quickly push that feeling aside, regain your composure & confidence and bring your A-game. If you’re having difficulty recovering from a bad beat, then take a break- sit out a few hands, listen to your favourite song, pour yourself a drink etc... whatever helps you feel better. Then, get back in there and kick butt.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I try to be patient and disciplined, in any case, regardless of the results. The most important thing for me is my right decisions and good game. Everything else is not important.
Good luck.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Doesn't change anything for me. You want people to make bad calls.

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No

No, I have become very use to bad beats.

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well I just got one bad beat right now.
In the middle last stage of a MTT, I was middle stack and it was confortable.
And of course I was dealt AA UTG.
And of course also my AA were cracked by pocket 9 who hits a set.
This one was tough to me because I had just realized 5 minutes before that playing carefully and smart should normally lead me to ITM... and probably better.
So when the bad beat happened I was close to throw away my mouse but I finally decided to have a break in the garden to calm down. And It worked ;-)

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, a bad defeat can have a negative psychological impact on our mind because we do not accept that defeat and it leaves us mentally ill and it can bring us problems in the next tournaments or those that we are playing if it is in online poker, when that happens. The best thing is to stop the session and play the next day when it is running bad, but if you have time playing poker and you are used to this you have to accept what happens with a bitter taste and continue playing and try not to think about that anymore Well, you lost just because of bad luck.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would like to think not,,,but prob a bit. :deal:

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try and not let it effect me, but sometimes it causes me to be a little more aggressive because I feel that I deserve the luck next time. Last night I called an all in with Ak and was against A4, A4 ended up winning when 2 4's came. I felt that it was just so insulting lol, I tilted a little and although I had 14bb left I played a little looser than I normally would. Not terrible but I shoved 44 from utg a few hands later, those 4's should pay me out now, right? No. LOL

A

azgeda

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Before when I started, whenever I had a bad beat I started playing really aggressively, which was a mistake. I played aggressively to win back the stack that I lost. Didn’t happen. ended up loosing. Now I always analyze, not to make tilting do the decisions for me.

D

DIANTA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This happens (I mean bad beats) to all of players, I bet. When with me, first I try to find out if it was my mistake or a real Bad Beat. Make the learning upon personal mistakes and try to even enjoy if you play in the almost best way. We minimize future bad beats by playing good and staying calm. Hope you will, gl.

Last edited:
Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you notice that after a bad beat you start to play as a maniac player then you probably are on tilt. I’m used to with bad beats so I just keep playing, but if I notice that I’m trying to recover my losses playing more loose aggressively, I try to stop play poker and I go do something else.

Depends if I'm actually on tilt or not. A lot of the times I adjust my play to my current table image. If I get hit with several bad beats in a short time frame, I might do something like open-raise a little "too much" to represent me "tilting" but I actually am in fully control of my sense and have AA. :D I can be tricky sometimes lol. Generally speaking though, I just play straight-forward; don't want to trap yourself by trying to trap someone else.

Hi.
I try to be patient and disciplined, in any case, regardless of the results. The most important thing for me is my right decisions and good game. Everything else is not important.
Good luck.

+1 Agreed. It hurts me more when I know I played it badly - personally, this hurts me even more than an unlucky bad beat. Okay sure, luck happens, but if I lose because I messed up, then I know it was on me. Similarly, I'm usually content with "playing well" and just running into an unlikely event.

Just a few days ago I got all of my chips into the middle a few spots outside of the money bubble. I busted with KK versus AA. I wasn't even that mad. I just casually threw my hands up in the air and was like: "well, I'm out" and then went on to do something else :D
It is just a numbers game; you simply can't be losing sleep over something that isn't under your control. Even cases like KK vs AA happen.

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have noticed that when i get a really bad beat it changes the way i play and how i bet..Is this me tilting or am i just running bad. I have been told to sit out and walk away for a few minutes..How do you guys deal with the bad beats or bad play that you run into ?
Breaks in the game really help to deal with bad shots.So this is good advice to listen to.Have a cup of tea with sweets.sweetness defuses the atmosphere of anger.

B

BOBMUSSI

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, when I have bad beats, principally near the SFT or FT, My psychological game is affected, and many times I “SPEW” my lasts blinds... Now I'm Training my MINDSET with psychological books of poker! GL

J

JAJONGLEUR

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Short answer, NO. I know I will win those more than not and I brush it off and stay the course.

M

moularaki

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
yes it does happened to everyone
don't change the way you were playing or be more aggressif

gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1 bad beat, no…but a string of bad beats will have an effect of me. I can’t stand losing in poker when I’m a 90% favorite. Makes me hate the game all the time. If there was some poker site that had some sort of reward or rakeback for bad beats….I would only play there.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing for a long time, you stop paying attention to it. I just say to myself, this distribution is over and let's move on.:)

W

woodeng

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe I do the same thing as you do when I have a bad beat especially later in the game when I am tired. I think I am going to take the advice you have been given and just walk away for a while . . . Thank you for the helpful post.

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If it change the way you play, the bad beat afected your mind. When it happens to me, I usually take some deep breaths and try to focus more to dont afect me

P

pwalker4201977

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do seem to get upset when I get sucked out on. But I also use it as motivation to play better n smarter. You just have to take it on the chin n deal with it

VVi10

VVi10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe this is part of the game, it's part of it and we always need to keep the way we play and think about the game, because this will happen to everyone, we can't change our way of playing just because it's happening to us.