Defending ranges vs 3bets.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I thought id post a little guide on building your defending ranges vs a 3bet which is used in conjunction with your opening ranges from each position. And Ill use a basic utg range as an example of how to build them from each position.

You can find some preflop ranges right here on CardsChat in the following link.
https://www.cardschat.com/poker-starting-hands.php

downoad combonator to work out your frequencies.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...XPQuB5ZCy8bW1G

They advocate opening around 16% utg for 6 max games so for an example ill use 14.5% utg. Anything between 12% and 16% is fine for utg depending on your comfort lvl. And if your playing in full ring games your ranges might be tighter than 12% utg. But you can still use your ranges and follow the same process to get your defending range.

l4nxWpn.jpg

So thats a 14.5% utg range and ideally we want to defend somewhere around 35%-45% vs a 3bet depending on whether we are ip or oop. With the minimum defence frequency being 28% if your folding over 72% your folding to much and become exploitable to 3bet with any two cards.The tighter your opening ranges from each position the tighter your 3bet defending ranges can be. And vise versa the wider your opening ranges the wider you need to defend as a result.

So if you click on "to postflop mode" then on the top right bar "postflop" we can assign a defending range vs a 3bet.

CQOdzdM.jpg

value 4bet
KK+
bluff 4bet
Ajs-ATs

call vs 3bet
QQ-99,AQs+,JTs,AKo

optional 4bet bluff
AQo

Now obviously hands in the range like AK QQ can be played as a 4bet and you might want to add a few more suited connectors to defend ip this is just a basic example of building the range. So that's a defending range ip of 38.5% i plugged in but once you account for the optional 4bet bluffs of AQo it will take it to around 40%.

And in actual play you will be defending with a slightly higher frequency when you account for other circumstances.Such as defending wider in situations when there multiple callers due to the better implied odds.Which will all add around another 5% to your defence frequecnies taking it to around 45% overall.

Two more tools that also come in use are flopzilla to store your ranges as you build them
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...LMFKe2kpFDAWfp

And the equity calculator equilab
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...XPQuB5ZCy8bW1G

And you repeat the process with each positions opening range and when adding the suited connectors to your defending ranges. I would advocate defending them with a higher frequncy ip and not so much if at all oop without info. So thats my basic guide on building a defence strategy vs 3bets using your opening ranges and these tools. I hope this guide comes in useful for anyone looking to build some basic ranges of their own.

Last edited:
PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
RWxBXto.jpg

Originally Posted by Alucard
you don't need to 4bet bluff AJs,ATs cause they make really good flats.
A2s-A5s are better options

Agreed , But it depends whether or not you open A2s-A5s from utg and whether or not your comfortable enough in your ability to be flatting AJs-ATs from utg. But for those that do and are then yes the wheel aces make great 4bet bluffs and certainly combos people should have in their 4bet bluffing ranges from later positions. The ranges i gave are only a basic example to show how to use opening ranges to get to a 3bet defending range so they are certainly open to change to suite individuals abillities and preferences. So from say a basic CO 24% opening range it might look something more like.

opening range, again it mght be tighter or wider for individuals
d5hSaWz.jpg

Defending range, depending on comfort level in your own ability, and certain hands like JJ might be a 4bet or call for different individuals when building their ranges. And if people flat KTs-QTs they can use K9s-Q9s or some people prefer T8s-97s as 4 bet bluffs or they have all as optional in any given circumstance along with AJo. If you flat AJo you can use ATo as the bluff or the best of the hands your folding so a CO defending range might look something like the following.

emtY6Yg.jpg

So if you 4bet bluff say A2s-A5s KTs-QTs 100% or unless you have very good reason not to "vs a nits 3bet" when you take in to account the other bluffs are optionals the defending frequency looks something more like 45% overall. And then you can basically just repeat this process for all positions to get a defending range and likely wanting to defend 5%-10% wider ip than you do oop in 3bet pots.

Last edited: