Could you fold bottom set on the flop while being beat ?

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you have bottom set on the flop . and your opponent has top set (which you dont know / see at the moment of course) and goes all in . how often will you be able to fold ? is it even possible ?

i am talking about dry boards . no flush or straight possibility

for example you have 3-3

flop comes : 3 - 9 - K rainbow . and opponent has 99 or KK

will you be able to get out of this ? :)

i think it is one of the hardest fold to make in poker

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
no chance. You are just destine to lose your stack in that hand. If you are ever folding the flop with bottom set on a super dry board, you are losing a ton of money. Of course you will be beat sometimes, and sometimes they'll hit there runner runner straight or flush ect. Doesn't chnage the fact the right answer is to call.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Man, I can not tell you the number of big wins I have made on a small pair turned set on the flop.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It depends on my stack, their stack, am I playing in a trny or ring-game, am I near the bubble if in a trny, etc.? AS a rule no because there are 2 more cards coming. If I'm beat then it would have to be by a better set, not a made straight or flush.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the flop is rainbow and you have a set, how can you fold?

B

BodyCount

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would never fold this holding in a tournament. For a cash table, the issue is quite controversial.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the cards are on the table and the behavior of the opponent indicates that your combination is less than that of the opponent, then you really don't want to, but you need to throw the card away. Even if you overestimate the state of the opponent's cards, it will pay off in the long-term perspective of such situations.

F

Fushicho

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never folding this. The guy could have AA or AK. Or 2 pair.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on stack sizes and how many players saw the flop, but typically the answer is no. In a heads-up or 3-way pot with stacks of 100BB or less, it would definitely be a mistake to fold bottom set on a board like K93. The opponent might have K9, or they might be overplaying a single pair hand like AA or AK.

Its pretty much the definition of a cooler, but sometimes we should perhaps not even have seen a flop with 33. These baby pairs are some of the most overvalued hands, and for most people they are long term losers. So if for instance it went UTG open, and we were sitting in HJ, then we should probably just have mocked our hand and not put ourself in this situation to begin with.

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the stage of the tournament and the prize money. I folded, but if a tournament with small prizes can be accepted, because there are big chances that the opponent has two pair or one pair is high.

L

LosJay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a tournament I would have folded, if I would have been close to the money, or at least though of folding. Like someone else said, it also depends on the preflop action. When your opponent is holding kings for instance, This flop is a cooler and/or a good trap by your opponent preflop

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey
I had such a situation when I lost with a small card, but I never fold a set on the flop

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It is difficult to answer. Situations are very different, and my decisions depend on many factors. I pay special attention to the game of my opponents at the table. I think in this situation my decision would depend more on who my opponent is.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will most likely be able to fold, but a lot depends on the preflop play and the behavior of my opponent in other hands.
But you're right, it is very difficult to fold on a set.

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
you have bottom set on the flop . and your opponent has top set (which you dont know / see at the moment of course) and goes all in . how often will you be able to fold ? is it even possible ?

i am talking about dry boards . no flush or straight possibility

for example you have 3-3

flop comes : 3 - 9 - K rainbow . and opponent has 99 or KK

will you be able to get out of this ? :)

i think it is one of the hardest fold to make in poker
Good time, I had such situations, it all depends on how the action developed before the flop and many more things, it's just that each situation is individual I think, but at the same time I think it's very difficult to throw a set on the flop! You just need to train more and sort out your handouts and you learn how to make the right decisions! I had not been able to throw out such a hand as AA before and lost and flew out of tournaments many times, but then I realized with experience that the AA pair only deprived the couple! I wish you not to be very upset in such losses, since this is poker and there will still be enough of them, just learn to control your emotions and disassemble your handouts and you will eventually understand how to act in similar situations! Good luck at the tables and strong nerves to you!

D

David Gibson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would not fold with that situation. I really don't think my position, stack size, or stage of the game would change my mind.

However, if the flop came out with a pair and my 3, and they bet more than a limp, I would be out for sure.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would not fold with that situation. I really don't think my position, stack size, or stage of the game would change my mind.

However, if the flop came out with a pair and my 3, and they bet more than a limp, I would be out for sure.

why ? if the flop comes 3-A-A for example then you have a full house lol

D

David Gibson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why ? if the flop comes 3-A-A for example then you have a full house lol
Anyone that raises either has the A or not affraid of it. Either way it says you are beat.

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's difficult to fold a bottom set when the board is dry. But if the board looks dangerous I will consider folding.

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can only remember doing it once when I flopped a set of 2's in a three way pot . I put $100 into the pot and folded to an all-in. One guy had a set of 5's the other a set of Jacks. A five came on the turn and handed the Jacks a bad beat on a huge pot.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Don't think I have, probably beyond my skill set.

gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Set over set is so rare in Holdem that folding it would be bad play if the board is dry. The odds of flopping set over set vs 1 opponent is slightly over 1%

E

easy play

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If my opponent can go allin with AK and K9, then I would call with 33.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
on dry boards probably never. There could be some circustamcnes, like all table go allin but this things happen to rare. So I'm never folding bottom set. When we have a bottom set we are like on top of our range. If we would fold bottom sets then we would overfold a lot postflop. so we would call only middle and bottom sets? come on. We can't be so nitty.

Folding in Poker