Commonly Used Poker Abbreviations and Terms

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can you explain fold equity please?

There are two possible ways a player can win a hand, he either has the best hand at the showdown or he forces all other players to fold their hands in the betting rounds. His probability to win a hand increases as the probability increases that all opponents fold their hands.

Since the percent share of the pot that belongs to a player based on the strength of his cards is called pot equity, the percent that belongs to him based on how likely his opponents are to fold, is called fold equity.

When calculating the expected value, one would reckon on winning a pay-off of x with a probability of, say, 10%.

Example:

Two players are in the final betting round before the showdown. Player A has a 20% chance of winning the showdown. Player B will fold 10% of the time if A bets, otherwise he will call. The pot is $4, the bet size is $1.
EV(Bet) = 20% * Payoff(B calls and A wins the showdown) + 10% * Payoff(B folds)+ 70% * Payoff(B calls and A loses showdown)

EV(Bet) = 20% * 5$ + 10% * 4$ + 70% * (-1$)

EV(Bet)= 0.7$

Hence, the player will win $5 20% of the time, $4 10% of the time, and lose $1 70% of the time. All in all, he will win 70 cents on a bet of one dollar.

Compared this with the (constructed) case where B neither bets nor raises and A just checks:

EV(Check) = 20% * 4$ + 80% * 0$

EV(Check) = 0.8$

EV(Check) > EV(Bet)

So in this example, it's better for A just to check.

You can read more here https://www.cardschat.com/fold-equity.php

Last edited:
A

ardodd

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
wow very impressive list. I have got to bleieve that this is the Professional List.

Now do you have Newbie Donk list. Cause no matter what you call it the Donk section is not included.

Sorry for being blunt.

But I find that these days the Newbies dont care what you call it. All they care about is beating your Good and Strong Hands with what I refer to as BS.

I

IJustWantToTalk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Grinder - Someone who plays poker for a living (and spends the majority of their day doing so)

TempoShaman

TempoShaman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
FTW = FOR THE WIN

WOOT = WE OWNED OTHER TEAM

lol nubs

P

PuckerUpChat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, Thanks for the hand lingo, I had many questions and now I know .

daredeviljo

daredeviljo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here are some poker terms:

Board: All the community cards in a hold'em game - the flop, turn, and river cards together. Example: "There wasn't a single heart on the board."

Crack: To beat a hand - typically a big hand. You hear this most often applied to pocket aces: "Third time tonight I've had pocket aces cracked."

Inside Straight Draw: Seeking one specific card value to make a straight. For instance, a player holding 9-5 with a board of 2-7-6 can make a straight with any 8. This is also known as a gutshot straight draw.

Nuts
The best possible hand given the board. If the board is K-J-T-4-2, then A-X is the nuts. You will occasionally hear the term applied to the best possible hand of a certain category, even though it isn't the overall nuts. For the above example, somebody with A-Qmight say they had the "nut straight", which is the best possible straight in that certain situation.

Overpair: A pocket pair higher than any card on the flop. If you have QQ and the flop comes J-8-3, you have an overpair.

Rag: A card or board that is weak or does not help your hand. Example: Hand: A 3 (you have A-rag - Ace and a weak card). Also, rag (rag flop) can mean a flop, turn, or river that probably does not effect the hand. Example: Flop: K-J-9 rainbow-all different suits. Turn: 2. Chances are that this card does not effect the hand, as no new draws, or strong pairs are put into effect by this card.

Second Pair: A pair with the second highest card on the flop. If you have A-T, and the flop comes K-T-6 , you have flopped second pair. Top, Second, and Bottom pair in this situation: Top Pair: Pair of Kings. Second Pair: Pair of 10s. Bottom Pair: Pair of 6s.

Set: A set is when you have pockets (two of the same cards in your hole cards), and the same card appears on the board. Example: Hand: 4-4. Flop: K-5-2. Turn: 4. River: J. Your hand is 44, and a 4 appeared on the turn. This is a set.

Value Bet: As in "bet for value." This means that you would actually like your opponents to call your bet (as opposed to a bluff). When value betting, you believe that you have the best hand.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding these definitions, please ask as many questions as you'd like. Also, if you want to know any more or specific terms, please post it in this topic or message me on CC by Private Message. Thank you! Have a great day, and many more.

F

fodje

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Awesome topic for begginer. I took some of new-to-me terms :)

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what does implied odds mean?

Implied odds or implied pot odds are modified pot odds used when playing a draw. They account for the fact that more money can be extracted from the opposition if the draw hits. They include the bets that the opposition will make, not just what is already in the pot.

Implied Odds = expected possible winnings : bets to be paid

Implied odds therefore include a speculative element: How much money can I extract from my opponent if I complete my draw?

Moves in No-limit games are often reckoned with implied odds, since in the best case you could win your opponent's whole stack. A typical application is calling on set value in Texas Hold'em, where a player calls an opposing raise with a pair in his hole cards, knowing that he will hit his set around 12% of the time on the flop. Since he would then have a strong hand and a good chance at winning a large pot, it makes sense for him to call. If he would only consider the money currently in the pot, he would often not have proper odds for a call.

To learn more, you can read this good article: https://www.cardschat.com/poker-odds-pot-odds-implied-odds.php

Nawlins Ace

Nawlins Ace

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
thx for the link to the site, it really help me understand this subject better :shakehand

tothbopo

tothbopo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To book a win

I have heard this but what does it mean.

He lost a lot of hands and just wanted to book a win.

BluffMeAllIn

BluffMeAllIn

4evrInmyheart RIP xoxo :(
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
chasing losses would be part of it, sometimes causes people to play looser looking to hit a big score to make back their session losses.

Being happy with breaking even or a slight winner in a session could be looking to book a win.

Someone on a downswing might want to book a win and thus leave a very profitable game when they have made some profit and don't wanna risk taking a beat and getting stuck again, and want to have a winning session to gain some confidence back but as we know you should play as long as you feel you have an edge in the game as long as your not tilting. That +200 session when you leave early could have been a +2k session if you had stuck around.

P

PuckerUpChat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well that was fun reading. All my questions have been answered, now if only I can remember them while in a game....

C

candace s

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This list of abbreviations was very helpful to me now maybe ill be able to understand some of these hud's they have these days and lingo.

tothbopo

tothbopo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for that comment.

Make sence.

The mental game of poker is really exciting.

R

RazKat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This Guide was extremely helpfyl

And another one -
I sometimes come across G2G.
What does this mean?
Thx for your answer -
mick aka Dr.Mik

When I did Competitive PC Gaming Online it was known to mean 'Got to Go' as in to leave the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

ardodd

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The most important thing in Online Poker is to know your NWP or OWP

Since most poker client software is related to RNG and the software can not support over 62-bit incription then the software is only limited to that number.

My suggestion is to know these terms and how to use them:

NWP= Net Winning Percentage
OWP= Overall Winning Percentage
RNG= Random Numerator Generator

Attachments

• Tips of the Day..jpg
    Tips of the Day..jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 51
R

RichardsL

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
OP = Original Post

Less Common (yet all too true) Ones
WTF: I doubt that was a sound play.
OMG: I am rather surprised.
ESAD: Eat sh*t and die
NH = Thanks for donking all my chips
TY = Totally blind to the sarcasm of the above NH
OMFG = Did you really just call all in with 84os?
GG = "I beat you!"
GG = "I know."
LOL WOW = I wish I could stab people through my monitor.

As I was reading, a "GG" came to mind. Then I finished reading and I'd like to give props for the best explanation of these I've seen to date. :cool:

V

vinsanity

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It is good help for the online poker games such as FT, PS and Titan who use these abberevations.

R

Ray Sliva

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lots of good info here, Help me out by explaining to me what an overlay is pertaining to some tourney I,ve entered. tks--r

BluffMeAllIn

BluffMeAllIn

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lots of good info here, Help me out by explaining to me what an overlay is pertaining to some tourney I,ve entered. tks--r

Overlay is essentially when the buyins from the entrants does not cover the gtd prizepool.

For example its a 2k gtd prizepool for a 10$ buyin (ignoring rake for now, as this depends on site but probab end up being like 9.15 + 0.85 breakdown), then to cover the gtd prizepool there would have to be 200 entrants.

200 x 10 = 2000, if the tourney only gets 190 entrants then it only took in 190 x 10 = 1900 and therefore that tourny has 100$ overlay....basically its added value for those who are playing.

coolDadJimbo

coolDadJimbo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
chat glossary?

hi folks....

i wanted to get some input on the shorthand i see in the chat windows and maybe build a tiny glossary....

first, i always see this one: "(y)"
i always assumed it meant "donkey." am i correct?

second, what is it mean when they hit the lowercase k, like "kkkkkkkk"

any other useful translations would be appreciated..

be cool

BluffMeAllIn

BluffMeAllIn

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
(y) on stars is a thumbsup

I would asume kkkkk is just ok