Checking made hands...

YYfourU

YYfourU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone else check made hands on the turn, in position after the villain checks....and then reraise the river or over bet if Checked to u?

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Anyone else check made hands on the turn, in position after the villain checks....and then reraise the river or over bet if Checked to u?

Thank you for posting

That is a common strategy vs villains who will fold correctly when we bet multiple streets but call too often when we over bet one street- the river.

It is a villain dependent exploit play but is not always the most EV+ strategy based on V's range- the board runout -our exact hand and the stack sizes.

If we check turn over bet pot on river and get 25bb when we could have bet turn and shoved river for 75+bb we are not maxing our ROI.

Often this is the case when we make hidden hands like sets on the turn and we could be bluffing missed draws versus top pair top kicker 2 pair or over pair hands that want to pot control check call turn and river but cannot fold to river shoves often enough.

The above example of bet turn shove river we only have to be called 1-3 to get the same ROI as the check the turn strategy based on 25bb -75bb of course.

Hope this helps
:):)

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

I do that if the river can't change the game.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I like to check a made hand lots of times. It can bite you in the butt when the remaining cards can improve an opponents hand by giving them outs for a straight or flush on the next card turned over, or full house if a duplicate card comes on the river.

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I check made turns against LAG players, particularly if they have shown to call flops light. The only exception is if there's an obvious better draw that could come on the river (e.g. 2 flush card board with a made straight). I would also bet larger if it's a less likely made hand, like a 79 on a 68T board, or A5 on a 552 flop.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sure sometimes I might...but I do a ton of different things against various players in different spots :D I'm creative and capable of certain plays, but the question is what I'm up to in the moment. Same with every other poker player though; no secret there lol

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands