JeffSBrito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi!

I believe for recreational players like me. Has a little difficulty calculating during a tournament.

What are the best tips to do this in an easy and approximate way?

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Hi!

I believe for recreational players like me. Has a little difficulty calculating during a tournament.

Almost all things come better with practice. The 30 seconds or so that we usually have time to make our decision in an online game is a very short moment to make any calculations. One needs to have a profound understanding of the basics, and after that it is just practice, practice, practice.

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Just practice. It takes a bit of time to learn the numbers but after a bit of practice you will know the odds and how to calculate them.

gustavofuentes2

gustavofuentes2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi!

gutshot buddy just feel your way. I feel using those odd calculators during a poker match is cheating. Most sites are cracking down on that I heard they can even tell if you have such a program on your computer. Me for 1 I'm very happy that is happening because I would rather be playing an honest game against a person using their experience not using a computer to tell them what to do. Don't know if you've heard but in the old days If you were caught cheating at the tables chances were that you would pulled from the table and be shot or hung. Sorry I just don't lie cheaters!!

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If we are talking about calculating the odds of winning a certain hand, then everything is calculated based on the probability of the appearance of the desired card from the deck.
When I see a flop, I already think about the number of outs for the best combination (nuts). There is much more time if the opponents make a decision before you, and you are in position. The number of outs on the flop is multiplied by 4x. On the turn, multiply by 2x.
An example from the CardsChat website.
For example, should you be on a potential flush draw, with four hearts already in hand, then there will be nine hearts theoretically left to be claimed to complete the flush. On the flop, your odds of hitting that fifth heart are around 35%, or approximately 2:1. This means the pot odds – the ratio of pot size to bet size – usually needs to be offering you 2:1 or better to make this a worthwhile play (e.g. to call a $5 bet the pot should already contain at least $10).

aafh07

aafh07

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My style of playing online is more like trusting my gutshot, I don’t think there is something like calculating your chances when you are playing online. It’s all about your luck and gutshot mainly. Of course there is a bit of tactic and style and play too, but in most of hands it’s all about luck

JeffSBrito

JeffSBrito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I asked why I don't use programs to do these calculations.

I think it's a bit unfair to play programs for professionals. Because many times players like me who are having fun with the game end up playing against a computer...

In the end, I believe that everyone finds their way. I try to improve my game by learning, mainly, how to calculate odds in a practical way during the game. To decide the best route to take during the streets.

Thanks guys and GL!

I will see you at the tables.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
For the recreational player, 52 cards x 2 pct each card is 104, so I just guesstimate each card has almost a 2 percent chance of being the next card shown.

urubudopoker

urubudopoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Is there a great example very well explained in the Cadschat course

F

FrizzaoR

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
im looking to advance in cardschat course, because im not so good calculating odds during tournments yet. But I have a little sense in the most famous hands.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
This is done almost instinctively; actions that retrieve, in the subconscious provided with information, what we have learned about probabilities. The more we play (and study), the more we refine this sense. This is how I see.

D0nk3y Hunt3r

D0nk3y Hunt3r

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Calculating percentages is not that complicated, I never actually memorised the tables. And I have something alike Ben Chen formula for starting hands.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on, what you mean by "calculating odds". Such a term is often used when deciding to call with a draw, but the decision is really more complicated than just determining your pot odds. Its also about the quality of your draw, your implied odds and other factors like your position, and how many people are still in the hand.

Lets say you are holding Js9s on QhTh2s-Ad and face a turn bet. You still have 8 outs to make a straight, but Kh or 8h can potentially set you up to lose a big pot to a flush. Any K will also create a 1-liner to a straight, where you are chopping with another J, and its difficult to get much value from worse. And finally someone could already have a straight with KJ, in which case you are drawing dead.

So this is a very bad draw, and realising that is more important than calculating your exact pot odds. Maybe you can still call a very small bet, but if someone make a substantial bet, you should just get out, especially if its a multiway pot. You especially dont want to call, if other players are still left to act behind you, who could potentially put in a raise.

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator