Building from a baby bankroll

rohankamble9

rohankamble9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OzExorcist...can you please help out with my BRM?? I have a small bankroll of 45$ can you suggest me which games should I play and at what stakes... Last time played spin and go's of 7$ and 10$ with this bankroll and lost it in no time.. BTW I play on pokerstars

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I won $3 off a CC Freeroll last night, and ran it up to $12.68 playing Double or Nothing SnGs. I fell good playing them because it gives me a better chance at winning and increasing my bankroll. Should I continue to play them or should I try MTTs? Cash game I'm weak at unless it's 2c/4c fixed. So I leaned to stay away from them.

I think it's been pretty well established by this stage what I think of MTTs with a bankroll this size :p

Stick with the lower variance games that give you a more consistent chance to grind your bankroll upwards IMO.

OzExorcist...can you please help out with my BRM?? I have a small bankroll of 45$ can you suggest me which games should I play and at what stakes... Last time played spin and go's of 7$ and 10$ with this bankroll and lost it in no time.. BTW I play on pokerstars

With $45 I wouldn't be playing anything with a buyin of over $1 so... $1 SNGs if you're a tournament/SNG player, or I guess $2NL cash games if you're a cash game player (though that's effectively halving the number of buyins you have, so it's less ideal).

Run good y'all!

D

Dymond

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once you get .80c shouldn't you be playing cash games? Or is it easier to lose half a buy in at zoom then it is hard to win one of these 10c sngs.

rohankamble9

rohankamble9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanx a Lot for the advice OzExorcist will stick to it

L

LifeLab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi All,

I use Chris Ferguson's bankroll strategy he used for his 10G challenge:

- He never bought into a cash game or a Sit & Go for more than 5 percent of his total bankroll.
- He never bought into multi-table tournaments for more than 2 percent of his total bankroll.

With this strategy he was able to make 10G but it took a long time. Things are different now through playing several concurrent tables so this can happen sooner than 1 year.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi All,

I use Chris Ferguson's bankroll strategy he used for his 10G challenge:

- He never bought into a cash game or a Sit & Go for more than 5 percent of his total bankroll.
- He never bought into multi-table tournaments for more than 2 percent of his total bankroll.

With this strategy he was able to make 10G but it took a long time. Things are different now through playing several concurrent tables so this can happen sooner than 1 year.

FWIW Ferguson could have played multiple tables back then too - he may even have done so, I'm not sure.

I'm not a fan of the numbers in his bankroll rules (I think 5% / 20 buyins is way too short - especially nowadays. He was a pro and the games were probably even softer back then). I do like that he effectively acknowledges what I've been saying all along here though, which is that MTTs carry much greater risk.

L

LifeLab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with OzExorcist and the 5% rule but I play in tournaments and am using the 2% strategy and thus far it has served me well. I guess time will tell.

N

Njomba

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Bankroll

it's very hard just to start from nothing and win it all. you have to invest some money in yourself and trust to your courage and willines to play and win in some games. if you dont invest it's very hard to win, but some people can make it and it is very cool

I

iAmBadAtPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so lets assume that i did win some money in a freeroll and my best game was 6max cash. would it be a better idea to grind freerolls until i had a proper bankroll for cash games or try to run up my winnings from the freeroll at the cash game table. and if i lost go back to freerolls?

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
so lets assume that i did win some money in a freeroll and my best game was 6max cash. would it be a better idea to grind freerolls until i had a proper bankroll for cash games or try to run up my winnings from the freeroll at the cash game table. and if i lost go back to freerolls?

It's up to you, but if it were me doing it all over again I'd just start with the cash games as soon as you've got enough for a full buyin. You might go broke and have to go back to the freerolls to start over, but playing more freerolls is something you're prepared to do anyway, so you may as well take the shot.

D

Dan Perkins

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great post thank you. very informative.

Jankou36

Jankou36

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey, I post here about 2 weeks ago.
I stopped playing MTTs satellites and losing money.
Now I play low stake SNGs and it's much better:
Bez nazwy

With bankroll like $2, tournaments for $0,25 are much safer I think.

L

LifeLab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Njomba - One just needs to be persistent, have desire to get better and keep an open mind. Good luck.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think building a small BR to take stabs at cash games would be more ideal. I think a BR of 8-10 buy-ins is a decent enough BR to take a stab at cash games with. However, more would be ideal.

I wouldn't take stabs with just 1-2 buy-ins, mainly because I'd rather avoid the potential back-and-forth between cash games and freerolls if I did bust the cash game roll. Just grind out the freerolls and build a decent cash game roll and be done with them.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Once you get .80c shouldn't you be playing cash games? Or is it easier to lose half a buy in at zoom then it is hard to win one of these 10c sngs.
Let's think about it.

The lowest cash game stake online sites provide is 2nl or .01/.02 blinds. With a BR of only .80, you don't even have a full buy-in [full buy-in = 100 BBs] and will sit with only 40 BBs. Yes, some sites provide short buy [20-50 BBs] tables, but those play much differently than full buy-in tables. And you give up a lot value buy not buying in full. So, essentially, you only have 1 short buy-in for cash games. Or 2 short buy-ins, but please, don't sit down with 20 BBs.

With .10 SNGs, you have ~8 buy-ins (depending if there is rake). 8 buy-ins isn't a lot, but it does give you a lot more "chances" to build the BR than sitting with 40 BBs does.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Let's think about it.

The lowest cash game stake online sites provide is 2nl or .01/.02 blinds. With a BR of only .80, you don't even have a full buy-in [full buy-in = 100 BBs] and will sit with only 40 BBs. Yes, some sites provide short buy [20-50 BBs] tables, but those play much differently than full buy-in tables. And you give up a lot value buy not buying in full. So, essentially, you only have 1 short buy-in for cash games. Or 2 short buy-ins, but please, don't sit down with 20 BBs.

With .10 SNGs, you have ~8 buy-ins (depending if there is rake). 8 buy-ins isn't a lot, but it does give you a lot more "chances" to build the BR than sitting with 40 BBs does.

Yeah if I had a bankroll of just 80c then 8 x 10c SNGs would be my preferred option to less than half a buyin at $2NL too.

S

StoneColdAmy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its all about the patience....

C

CryptoBlood

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How much bankroll you prefer for somebody who wants to earn 100-200$ daily with poker.How you count yur bankroll.How much % of bankroll si good to risk daily and it is good to have more than 1 bankroll?

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How much bankroll you prefer for somebody who wants to earn 100-200$ daily with poker.How you count yur bankroll.How much % of bankroll si good to risk daily and it is good to have more than 1 bankroll?

So there's a few different questions there and I think some really interesting ones :)

First off, it goes without saying that you need to be a proven winning player for any of this to matter - if you're not a winning player, then not even the biggest bankroll in the world will let you consistently win $100-$200 a day.

How much bankroll you prefer for somebody who wants to earn 100-200$ daily with poker.

Your ability to earn $100-$200 per day doesn't have as much to do with the size of your bankroll as it does to do with your ROI and your volume of play.

If you, say, 12-table for eight hours a day you're obviously going to earn more than someone with the same ROI that only plays two tables for two hours a day at the same stakes.

For that person two-tabling for two hours to make the same as you, they'd either have to play much higher stakes, or have a much MUCH higher ROI (unrealistically high, in that case).

So consider how many tables you play, and how many hours each day/week/whatever you have available to play.

For what it's worth though, I'd approach this completely the opposite way. Start with what you DO earn now, and then try to extrapolate that out to your "desired" win rate. How many hours / how many thousands of hands would you need to play each day at your current ROI and stakes to meet that goal? There's a good chance you'll need to go up in stakes: remember not to do it until you're rolled for it, and remember that your ROI will likely go down the higher in stakes you go as you'll typically be against better players.

How you count yur bankroll

"Counting" your bankroll is easy, it's just the total amount of money you have available in your poker account(s).

How much % of bankroll si good to risk daily

This isn't really a thing you should be thinking about IMO. Just make sure you have enough buyins available for whatever stakes you're playing, and drop down in stakes if your bankroll dips below that given level (whether it's 50 buyins, 100 buyins, whatever).

I'm not a believer in limiting yourself in terms of a set number of buyins per day, or of having set daily win/loss stop goals (as in stop playing when I've won 3 buyins or lost 3 buyins, etc). Again, assuming you're a winning player, then you don't want to be setting artificial limits on yourself. Keep playing because the games are good and there are fish at the table. Stop playing because the fish have left, or you're tired and can't give the game your full concentration, not because you've hit some arbitrary win/loss figure.

it is good to have more than 1 bankroll?

This one really depends, it's mostly about personal preference and the options you have available to you.

Back in the good old days I only ever had a bankroll on one site (Full Tilt) because they had more action than I could ever need at the games/stakes I wanted to play, and they gave me rakeback.

These days rakeback is gone in most places, but if you've still got PokerStars available to you then you can probably just play there and still get all the action you want.

If you're an MTT player or you mostly play on smaller sites though, then you might want funds available on multiple sites to get access to jucier games or a higher volume of opponents.

Q

quake419

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience

My poker playing friend here again is where you need to exercise extreme caution in playing when you are in free rolls you tend to be more loose and fishy so you play off kill, however when you invest your own funds you play more endearing because you care more about what you invest mentally . Ultimately when you cash in a free roll that to becomes your money so patience and timing key. don't play if you cant stay.:icon_sant

A

Allmine79

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use 50 buy ins minimum on everything I play. If you want to play aggressive 30x.

tenaciousdc

tenaciousdc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When trying to build up a BR, or just playing in general, what are the differences between 6, 8, and 10 player tables other than the number of seats:) What are your preferences and why? TIA for your insights!

L

LifeLab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me it's preference and the amount of money you wish to gain. If you're one on one you'll only get the money from one person. If you're in a 100 person tournament you can make whole lot more. For me, I only play tournaments because it's what I'm better at. I think that you should play whatever you feel the best at. Just my thoughts.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When trying to build up a BR, or just playing in general, what are the differences between 6, 8, and 10 player tables other than the number of seats:) What are your preferences and why? TIA for your insights!

In terms of building a bankroll there's no real difference whether you play 6-max or full ring. Just play the one you're best at, play your best in those games and be patient about waiting for the long-term results to come in.

L

LifeLab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with OzExorcist. Play whatever game you're best at when trying to build a bankroll.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management