Big blind forced all in with less than the BB in his stack

W

WizardRubic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello. I have a question about a scenario that happened while playing with some friends offline. I'd appreciate it if someone could clarify the proper procedure.

We were playing with 20 cents as a big blind and 10 cents as a small blind.

Player A had 10 cents in his stack before the hand. Everyone else had around 20 bucks.

The pockets are dealt but Player A is forced to pay the big blind. A few people said that everyone had to put in only 10 cents since that's all the big blind posted. They said the small blind had to pay up to 20 cents.

Is this the correct ruling? I was in the small blind spot so it seemed unfair to me. I haven't encountered the situation before so I just went with it.

Thanks!

masondub

masondub

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The BB is 20c that doesnt change.. The BB would put what he has, 10c, into the main pot. Any player that wanted to play that hand would put 10c into the main pot and another 10c, along with any raises, into a side pot. So if no raises, each player is in for 20c. 10c in the main pot, and 10c in side pot. Although this is a home game and ya'll can do whatever the hell you want.

So the BB could only win 10c off of each player. Although since i am guessing you are all friends one of you could have spotted him 10c or even a $1, im just saying :p

Cheers! hope this helped.

Last edited:
Blobweird123

Blobweird123

CC's very own Dead Head
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So you put up .20 and they all put up.10? Assuming theyre all fish and limped ofc. They dogged you. A big lol at the bb changing mid-game for a hand because one player couldnt cover

And lemme guess. All .20 of your blinds went into the main pot for the shorty to win too?

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The BB is 20c that doesnt change.. The BB would put what he has, 10c, into the main pot. Any player that wanted to play that hand would put 10c into the main pot and another 10c, along with any raises, into a side pot. So if no raises, each player is in for 20c. 10c in the main pot, and 10c in side pot. Although this is a home game and ya'll can do whatever the hell you want.

So the BB could only win 10c off of each player. Although since i am guessing you are all friends one of you could have spotted him 10c or even a $1, im just saying :p

Cheers! hope this helped.

This is spot on..the BB has to be placed by every player entering the hand

aa88wildbill

aa88wildbill

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is incorrect, but since it's a backyard game, you're pretty much able to make up your own rules, as long as everybody agrees to them.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another quick way of saying it is whatever the BB is on that level is the MINIMUM bet for that hand - period. This is a primary reason why the blinds exist. There are never any exceptions to the blinds - except for:

ALWAYS, if a player cannot match a bet, he can be in the hand for all of the money he has in front of him. Does not matter what his position is. The side effect of this is side pots.

Put those two together and it makes sense - I hope.

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Two pots. The main pot will be full of .10 bets, matching the SS.

The side pot is full of the other REQUIRED full BB of .10 more from whomever else is in the hand.

-

W

WizardRubic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So you put up .20 and they all put up.10? Assuming theyre all fish and limped ofc. They dogged you. A big lol at the bb changing mid-game for a hand because one player couldnt cover

And lemme guess. All .20 of your blinds went into the main pot for the shorty to win too?

Alright. Thanks for the responses everyone! I knew it seemed wrong but I wasn't too sure.

I actually folded the hand so it didn't matter too much.

This is incorrect, but since it's a backyard game, you're pretty much able to make up your own rules, as long as everybody agrees to them.

They're pretty stubborn guys so I think we're stuck with the rule. It's got as much of a chance of happening to someone else as to me so it's probably fine :)

Thanks again everyone!

Blobweird123

Blobweird123

CC's very own Dead Head
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually folded the hand so it didn't matter too much.

But if you were SB then you auto-posted that blind. Which means it did matter lol

And why don't you just point them to this thread that came to a unanimous decision?

PLAYINBIG

PLAYINBIG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah... masondub has answered your question.It cost the other players only half the price to see the flop.When they should of @ least been paying 20c to see the flop.If you did win the pot it would of been short by @ least of 80c, on a 9 player table.

snklzona

snklzona

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Regardless of position any player can be all in for what is in front of them
but that doesn't mean others players are not liable for the full blind....