Best Hand against Aces

JedKim

JedKim

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I know that Aces are the best hand you can have, but I was wondering what hand would Aces be the most scared of looking at? KK? 23 suited? Idk I have been outed by 87o so I am feeling a bit traumatized.

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing is good against aces. The best is midrange suited connectors which have an equity of about 22%.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi there

it depends on the other players
if any of them is a &¨%¨$ the you may loose with yr AA
If they are good players then is the best hand to play

Rgds

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

Aces is the best hand period. Many players complain that they get cracked all the time. I say give me aces evry time. Many times they get cracked becaues of excesive slow play . If you let 4 or five players see the flop, you are in trouble. Keep it down one or to players with your preflop play. I will ay I really like KQ or JQ suited.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
So I know that Aces are the best hand you can have, but I was wondering what hand would Aces be the most scared of looking at? KK? 23 suited? Idk I have been outed by 87o so I am feeling a bit traumatized.
Whilst I really, really want to reply with "no comment" and furious emojis, haha... :laugh:

It's my understanding that the best cards to go up against aces is (as mentioned above) middling suited-connectors...

Things like 89s...

Preferably not the same suit as either of the AA, lolol..

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
7-8

I think 7-8 or 8-9 suited would do the best against AA's.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
best hand to go against AA I believe would be AA

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
https://www.oddsshark.com/poker/pocket-aces-odds#:~:text=The%20very%20best%20hand%20against,wins%2022.87%25%20of%20the%20time.

According to this, it is 8-7 suited. You could probably guess that this is the case because of potential for straights and flushes as well as being "far away" enough from the Aces to not be dominated, but not so far that the hand is complete trash.

KK is horrible against AA because the only outs (ignoring the board texture) is a King and there are only two left in the deck. AA versus KK (or any lower pocket pair) is roughly an 80% chance for the Aces to hold up and win.

Cards like 2-3 (suited or not) are too low and can't make a straight or flush lower. 8-7 suited can go either direction. 2-3 might be okay if there was like a 3,2,1[but not Ace],0, -1 or something lol. Obviously, it doesn't work that way.

Also, even if you do have the "perfect" 8-7 suited against AA, you are still far behind. Over 75% of the time, the AA is winning even against this "perfect" counter-Aces hand. Unless you are getting spectacular pot odds, then you are better folding when you know Villain has AA (unless you also have AA xD)

Bobbybones1950

Bobbybones1950

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely AA and just hope you don't lose to a Flush

:date:

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not if you want to win outright... :biggrin:
but statistically usually you are at best 80% 20% so let's say the bet is the dollar. You will lose 80 and win 20 for a -60 return. Now if i have AA i break even 98 times and lose 2 times for a -2 return. So monetarily AA is the best hand against AA.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, aces do not have super-winning abilities. But this does not mean that they will always be beaten. It all depends on you . What kind of raise will you enter the game, how will you play further. There is no card that will necessarily crack aces. This is a matter of chance.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
strongly disagree that aces are the best hand! it certainly has a better chance of winning heads-up pre-flop in no limit hold'em, but otherwise it is not worth going for all the money

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
probably another set of AA. and hope to hit the A high flush high.

P

professor_poker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's a different way of thinking. Something like 87suited might be the hand most likely to win when you get to showdown, but that question is actually irrelevant. The question is which hand will lose you the least money to AA.

Level 1 answer: 87 suited if we're going all in pre-flop
Level 2 answer: It would be something like 44 - hands where you have a strong chance of extracting max value from AA if you do flop very well. (E.g. AA not going to stack off on a board of J109 and a flush-draw too often, but it will stack off on a board of J74 rainbow)
Level 3 answer: 72 off suit - because you fold it preflop safely and so avoid playing AA, where you always expect to lose more than 1bb/hand

And the real answer from my database of over a million hands of cash games played? Of hands where I voluntarily put chips in the pot and villain had AA, 64suited lost me the least money. KK lost me the most.

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best cards against AA pair can be any consecutive card bundle and pair that can be straight. But most likely a good aura and positive karma are needed.))

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
but statistically usually you are at best 80% 20% so let's say the bet is the dollar. You will lose 80 and win 20 for a -60 return. Now if i have AA i break even 98 times and lose 2 times for a -2 return. So monetarily AA is the best hand against AA.
That'll drop with others in the pot.. :)

S

samsonand

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the best hand against A is the straight or flush I always manage to beat him with those hands but that is in my experience and each one sees how each person's hands behave when playing

M

mike1113

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always heard it was 65 suited but I haven't seen the math behind it. Regardless, I imagine 65s, 76s, 87s, 98s are all very similar equity and still huge underdogs

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A lot of things beat AA, AA isn't the best hand that once you're dealt it you automatically win. AA is the best paired hand, however paired hands are the second worst hand you can possibly have. We all have to learn that AA isn't some magically hand, its just two cards like every hand we're dealt. We shouldn't treat it as a silver bullet which will never lose and we shouldn't treat it as some cursed hand that will always get cracked. Remember your studies and play the hand is the most +EV way possible while acknowledging like every other hand there are hands after the flop that you will both lose to and beat but given our opponents range we can better say which side of the spectrum we lay on.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Post flop any hand can be a monster against aces. So the bottom line is to raise and re-raise pre-flop to get most of the opponents, with eventually drawing hands, out of the pot. Most of the times.:deal:

kunkgreen

kunkgreen

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If I'm holding aces, 'anything' would be the answer!

It will depend on a number of factors, but generally suited connectors do reasonably well! 67s, 87s... (about 2.3% more than some other)
But they're still underdogs.

Last edited:
Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands