BB - Big Blinds or something else??

S

Solarx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I posted my question in other thread but no one answered my post so I figure I start the new thread and hope to get answers.

BB stands for Big Blinds but the problem when I m reading books or articles. BB is used in different meaning.

Examples:

1. "I played and lost 100BB buy in tournament" I assume this means you paid 100 dollars to play.

2. "I raised villain 100BB in button" Raised 100 or 100,000 ?

3. "Shove in when you are under 5BB" When you are under 5,000k? I don't understand why people don't use '5k' that would clear up the confusion.

4. "I was in BB and lost my AK to pathetic low 22's" Obviously this means that player is in big blinds but I have seen some wrote bb instead of BB. So which is it?

5. "It was 10k/20k BB so I had to shove in with my 5BB" BB was 20k so the player had less than 5,000K so he had to incorporate push/shove strategy. Is it correct?

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I posted my question in other thread but no one answered my post so I figure I start the new thread and hope to get answers.

BB stands for Big Blinds but the problem when I m reading books or articles. BB is used in different meaning.

Examples:

1. "I played and lost 100BB buy in tournament" I assume this means you paid 100 dollars to play.

2. "I raised villain 100BB in button" Raised 100 or 100,000 ?

3. "Shove in when you are under 5BB" When you are under 5,000k? I don't understand why people don't use '5k' that would clear up the confusion.

4. "I was in BB and lost my AK to pathetic low 22's" Obviously this means that player is in big blinds but I have seen some wrote bb instead of BB. So which is it?

5. "It was 10k/20k BB so I had to shove in with my 5BB" BB was 20k so the player had less than 5,000K so he had to incorporate push/shove strategy. Is it correct?

Thank you for posting

1 I do not know why that person used that statement it means nothing to me buy-ins are always in dollars 10NL is $10

2 This statement says they raised 100 big blinds we multiply by the size of the big blind 1 5 1000 etc

3 Again 5bb's is multiplied by the size of the Big Blind in dollars so 5bb's at a $5 Big Blind is $25 at $1000 Big Blind = $5000
We use bb's to keep it simple as it does not matter the size of the BB 1 10 1000 when we have 5 bb's we take the same actions so instead of saying what to do when you have $10 stack BB=$2 or $1500 stack $300 BB we say when those $ are equal to 5 bb's we shove all in.

4 This is just a choice thing that person chose bb instead of BB we have to interpret at times. You did exactly that. Some people use BB for the position - in the Big Blind and bb's for the number of big blinds they have or they bet. This is a learning site so not everyone uses BB or bb correctly

5 We multiply $20000 =20K which is the BB size by 5 = $100K =$100000 that was the stack size

Hope this helps
:):)

Last edited:
Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
BB refers either to the big blind position (dealer button, small blind, big blind) OR the big blind amount.

You can also refer to your stack in BB's, for example; "I only had 10bb left, so I shoved" or "I wasn't gonna call off 100bb all-in preflop with K9o"...

In tournaments, the BB increases with the levels, so it isn't always a constant.

This is why it's more convenient to express a stack size in BB's because it quantifies the stack.

If you have a '5k stack', it's meaningless because 5k could be 100bb or 0.1bb depending on the situation.

However, a 50bb stack is always a 50bb stack, regardless.

So this is a more effective way to portray the circumstances.

Any clearer or no? :laugh:

With this last example, if the small blind and big blind are 10k/20k, and a player has a 5bb stack, then they have 100k total.

1bb = 20k

So,

5bb = 100k

Last edited:
Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The most important BB there is is the big blind during a game. To its right it's the small blind. Once you learn the game it will be natural. Also cash live games do talk about 100 big blinds and stuff. Just look at the limits you are playing and make sure you can buy in with the max allowed.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's less common now with the popularity of no limit, but there's another meaning for BB which is "big bet." The big bet in a limit game is 2 big blinds and that's the minimum bet size on the late streets, such as the turn and river in hold 'em or 5th street and beyond in stud games.

Sometimes people use big bet in no-limit too, particularly when it comes to winrates, but that of course can make things confusing. Anyway if somebody means big bets they would usually be talking about limit poker or winrates and capitalize it.

1 BB = 2bb

S

Solarx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now it's clear to me.

When you start with 35000 chips and blinds are 50/100. You are at 350 BB.

Any more than 100BB, you have a deep stack. Less than 10 BB, it's time to shove in.

Someone above did explain but it was confusing so I use division easier than multiplying.