Bad signs in poker with AQo!

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While playing with AQo, if flop shows K with two other small cards, what would be your reaction? And what if K comes with J? It creates more problems, an urge to go for a draw. Missing the flop is not so uncommon but in these conditions I hardly wish to play. I consider them as bad signs.

Another example of bad sign is that of AKo where flop appears as Q the highest card. On many occasions I failed to obtain any fruitful result. Next two cards just don’t move above queen.

Though there is no logic behind this interpretation but I struggle to play in those situations. And most of the time I prefer to drop out.

Last edited:
This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Handling Scare Cards Postflop

There are a whole lot of things to consider when you have a big hand (like AQo) and a scare card comes (like Kxx). But the one thing I'd like to focus on is putting people on a range of cards. In situations like these you are asking yourself, "What is likely that the opponent would have stuck around preflop with." Or, "What high card would someone have played just for the sake of having that high card." If the board comes 9xx then people don't intentionally stick around pre-flop simply for the sake of having 9-high. However, if the board comes Kxx then there is a good chance someone with Kx may have stuck around simply because they have the King. This is why it is a scare card, because it should scare you that someone decided to play with K-high only and hit their King.
Now, if you're interested on putting people on a range of hands, I suggest you investigate card range charts. They help tell you when you should fold, call or raise in a given situation after the flop based on statistical calculations by professional players.

So, yes, there is logic behind your reasoning.

Some other things that have to be taken into account before you fold include the size of the pot vs. the size of the bet vs. the chances of you hitting your Ace. The chances of being able to make them fold based on the size of their bet if you decided to raise or re-raise them. The type of player they are based on observations of their play throughout the course of the game. Your ability to bluff and the likelihood of the player to fold to a bluff. Among other things. As you learn to play poker well you will pick up a lot of these tactics. I suggest you read, read, read and watch videos by professionals. You can pick up all these skills and more and know exactly how to handle a scare card in a given situation.

honorwar

honorwar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A Q ; dangerous cards these!I only limp with these cards.

Lorpugo

Lorpugo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you raised with ace queen and he called then king jack and ten on the flop hit his range well. You only cbet here if you put him on suited connectors or pocket pairs. Else just check. With two higher cards lets say flop is jxx you can call one bet if you have deep stack and evaluate again on the turn card.

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have AQ and KJ on flope then you have 7 outs. AAA and 10-10-10-10
7 * 4 = 28 100-28 = 72 72/28=2,5

B

BesseNuts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to calculate the EV. If its an EV+ then you go ahead. otherwise, just wait for better cards.

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
While playing with AQo, if flop shows K with two other small cards, what would be your reaction? And what if K comes with J? It creates more problems, an urge to go for a draw. Missing the flop is not so uncommon but in these conditions I hardly wish to play. I consider them as bad signs.

Another example of bad sign is that of AKo where flop appears as Q the highest card. On many occasions I failed to obtain any fruitful result. Next two cards just don’t move above queen.

Though there is no logic behind this interpretation but I struggle to play in those situations. And most of the time I prefer to drop out.
You are wright and you are wrong.No matter what charts you use, A-Q suited is in the top 10. The first thing to accept is that A-Q unsuited is not a top 10 hand but does make it into the top 20.If you played ABC poker by following a chart of hands, A-Q suited (A-Qs) is one you would never play in early position and would only play in an unraised or unopened pot in middle to late position.
Being in the top 20 hands means that A-Qs and A-Qo are in the best 10% of possible starting hands.
Of all the possible starting hands, only 5.85% of all possible hands are equal in strength to A-Qo, or stronger than it. A-Qs is only beat by 3.77% of all possible starting hands.