Ask Evan Jarvis Anything About Learning Poker!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is there a rule for playing MTT? Ex: Tournaments are usually long and tiring, as SNG are faster but less profitable in proportion to money. What is the tip to reach an FT in an MTT?

You basically have it right. MTTs have the potential for bigger wins but due to the time factor and big luck factor (larger fields need more luck to beat) it's not always wise to play MTTs.

SNGs and small field MTTs lead to a better lifestyle than only grinding huge field MTTs. The best tip I can give to reach the FT more often is to play smaller fields where you need less luck!

This video helps explain all the different MTT types and which are best for you

And as for MTTs in general, there is a ton of strategy that I couldn't just fit into one post. But these playlists will get you in the right direction! https://www.youtube.com/user/gripsed/playlists?view=50&sort=dd&shelf_id=19

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks again for the tourneys and all your excellent advice and good vibes. So in today's tourney blinds are 200/400, utg raises to 880, everyone else folds to me in the cut off. I have KK my stack is 5930. I want to raise but I'm not sure if raising to something like to 2000 makes sense (what do you think?) can I get away from this hand if an A comes and he reps the A? so I just shove and get called by AA and lose. I think I could have got called with a lot worse, so I'm ok with getting it all in pre flop with KK, but just wondering if there was a better play than an all in move pre flop given my stack. Thanks!!! Hope to play Friday. Enjoy your time in the country!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks again for the tourneys and all your excellent advice and good vibes. So in today's tourney blinds are 200/400, utg raises to 880, everyone else folds to me in the cut off. I have KK my stack is 5930. I want to raise but I'm not sure if raising to something like to 2000 makes sense (what do you think?) can I get away from this hand if an A comes and he reps the A? so I just shove and get called by AA and lose. I think I could have got called with a lot worse, so I'm ok with getting it all in pre flop with KK, but just wondering if there was a better play than an all in move pre flop given my stack. Thanks!!! Hope to play Friday. Enjoy your time in the country!

Against most opponents I just shove here, QQ-99 and AK will call you and you get it in great.

AA stacks you no matter what so it doesn't matter.

Against a super loose opponent I would just flat call so that they may catch a draw or top pair with a hand like Q9s / JTs etc. and be able to get all in way behind

Off a 15 big blind stack I pretty much never 3-bet small, it looks too strong and generally doesnt lead to getting paid off as easily as the 2 other options do!

Well played, unlucky :nurse:

L

LedZeffelin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Cardschatters!

I have been teaching playing poker for over 15 years and teaching it for 10 on my youtube channel. I absolutely love teaching poker and helping players improve their game.

I know first hand how frustrating it can be to have a question which you can't get the answer to and how much it can drive a mind nuts. So I'm here to offer my experience and services to help put your busy mind at rest and help you build confidence in your self and your poker game.

Over the past 5 years I have made 100 Q+A videos in https://www.youtube.com/user/gripsed/playlists?view=50&sort=dd&shelf_id=18

If you've got a question that hasn't already been made into a video please post it here and I will give you a written response, and if you're lucky I might even make a video on it too!

Looking forward to being of service and helping you reach your goals in poker, be it to be the best player in the room, or simply to have more fun with your friends.

Let's Get Stackin!
Hi Evan, I love your twitching and your coaching and your quizzes at Jonathan Little Poker Coaching. But I feel bad when I take your money. Sorry.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Evan, I love your twitching and your coaching and your quizzes at Jonathan Little Poker Coaching. But I feel bad when I take your money. Sorry.

Hahahhahaha, don't worry Led, there's plenty more where that came from ; )

I'm glad you enjoy the stream and always enjoy seeing you in chat!

No need for apologies, my employers like Jonathan and America's Cardroom pay me ok that if i lose some tens of dollars to the community it won't be the end of the world.

And truthfully I like spreading the money around, the more people with bankrolls the more likely they are to build them and end up big stacking. It is my dream that everyone who watches my stream will get to build up to a $1k then $10k bankroll (and $100k/$1 Million for the lucky few). If i can kick start that by losing, $5-$10-$20 to them then it is my honor! :stupido:

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Evan, thanks so much for your reply and excellent answer. So happy to be a part of a stimulating and exciting community, especially right now. It means a lot. Thanks cardschat! Be well everyone.

J

johnoman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi - just getting to grips with the site and making my first post so hi to all.

I have a quick question about poker outs and odds. Are the odds for the flop to the turn and turn to the river generally always the same?

If so, is the reason for this just simple because you are only seeing one more cards on the turn and the river.

Thanks!

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Evan,
Congrats on meeting your monthly goal on twitch. I'm sure this month will break new records!
So thrilled to have cracked the top 3 in the homegame. A little disappointed not to take it down, but I think my last hand was a cooler and nothing I could have done. I'll post it here, cause I like to learn and see if I made any mistakes. Love to know if you would have played it differently.
3 players left in the tourney, blinds are 1200, 2400 and I'm in BB with J10o and 15 BB's. Yoda who has 24bigs folds on the button, and Hanslowroll with 27bigs puts in a raise to 6.4K. I call the raise defending my big blind with broadway cards (ok?) Flop comes J 5 J, 2 diamonds. I'm thrilled. He checks and I throw out a bet of 5.5K into a pot of 12.3K I'm thinking 2 things - one, I'd like to get all my chips in by the end of this hand so I want to start building a pot, if I lose him so be it, and two, I don't totally want to give away a free cards with 2 diamonds out there. If he has a flush draw, he may believe he has the right implied odds to call my slightly less than half pot bet, so if he had a flush draw, I might have wanted the raise to be bigger, maybe that would have been a better play? Anyway, he just calls and turn is 7clubs, putting 2 clubs out there, but I'm not really concerned about that. He checks and I bet 11K into 23K leaving myself only 14K. He goes all in and I call happy to get it all in. He turns over AJ and that's it for me.
I loved your video on finding the fish. All your videos on player types are fantastic! I'm looking for the video where you show how you code players blue, purple, red, etc. on ACR. I want to see what you are thinking about us next time I play, ha ha :) I know I've seen it but can't remember which one it is in.
Also, do you have any videos of you doing ICMizer quizzes? I know you sometimes do them in your streams and I'd love to watch and learn, but if I'm playing, that takes up all of my brain. I can't do both. Ha Ha.
Cheers, A

E

Echowarrior

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Beginner question

Hi,

If the 5 cards on the table are 5 5 5 2 2 and player A has K 8 and player B has K 7 who wins?

A

Airles17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thank you!
I signed up to subscribe to your channel!
I will always follow as news and try to see the 100 videos.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
thank you!
I signed up to subscribe to your channel!
I will always follow as news and try to see the 100 videos.

Thank you for the support! :icon_flow
Welcome aboard Team Gripsed!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi - just getting to grips with the site and making my first post so hi to all.

I have a quick question about poker outs and odds. Are the odds for the flop to the turn and turn to the river generally always the same?

If so, is the reason for this just simple because you are only seeing one more cards on the turn and the river.

Thanks!

That's correct, your odds of improving on each street are pretty much the same.

The important difference tho is that when you hit on the turn, you have an extra street to get paid off. When you hit on the river you have less betting rounds to get action.

That's why we can speculate (chase) a bit more vs a flop bet than vs a turn bet. More implied odds in the first situation, less in the second.

Thank you for posting! Honored that you chose my thread to be the beginning of your cardschat journey!!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Evan,
Congrats on meeting your monthly goal on twitch. I'm sure this month will break new records!
So thrilled to have cracked the top 3 in the homegame. A little disappointed not to take it down, but I think my last hand was a cooler and nothing I could have done. I'll post it here, cause I like to learn and see if I made any mistakes. Love to know if you would have played it differently.
3 players left in the tourney, blinds are 1200, 2400 and I'm in BB with J10o and 15 BB's. Yoda who has 24bigs folds on the button, and Hanslowroll with 27bigs puts in a raise to 6.4K. I call the raise defending my big blind with broadway cards (ok?) Flop comes J 5 J, 2 diamonds. I'm thrilled. He checks and I throw out a bet of 5.5K into a pot of 12.3K I'm thinking 2 things - one, I'd like to get all my chips in by the end of this hand so I want to start building a pot, if I lose him so be it, and two, I don't totally want to give away a free cards with 2 diamonds out there. If he has a flush draw, he may believe he has the right implied odds to call my slightly less than half pot bet, so if he had a flush draw, I might have wanted the raise to be bigger, maybe that would have been a better play? Anyway, he just calls and turn is 7clubs, putting 2 clubs out there, but I'm not really concerned about that. He checks and I bet 11K into 23K leaving myself only 14K. He goes all in and I call happy to get it all in. He turns over AJ and that's it for me.
I loved your video on finding the fish. All your videos on player types are fantastic! I'm looking for the video where you show how you code players blue, purple, red, etc. on ACR. I want to see what you are thinking about us next time I play, ha ha :) I know I've seen it but can't remember which one it is in.
Also, do you have any videos of you doing ICMizer quizzes? I know you sometimes do them in your streams and I'd love to watch and learn, but if I'm playing, that takes up all of my brain. I can't do both. Ha Ha.
Cheers, A

Thanks Amanda!

This hand is certainly a cooler, trips vs trips Blind vs blind and only 15 blinds deep.

I would probably just call the flop so if he has unpaired cards you give him a chance to improve.

Here's the thing about the flush draw, yes if he has it you can protect. But from an odds perspective he rarely has it, and if he does he's not folding no matter what you do (other than maybe going all in).

So ask yourself how can I get action from AS MUCH OF HIS RANGE AS POSSIBLE, as opposed to just thinking about protecting against the hands you are concerned about.

All in all a fine play and just an unlucky result, it happens sometimes :)

I have no videos of the ICMIZER quizzes but maybe I will make some in the future to put on youtube. Wasn't sure if people would be into that kind of thing or not :p

J

johnoman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's correct, your odds of improving on each street are pretty much the same.

The important difference tho is that when you hit on the turn, you have an extra street to get paid off. When you hit on the river you have less betting rounds to get action.

That's why we can speculate (chase) a bit more vs a flop bet than vs a turn bet. More implied odds in the first situation, less in the second.

Thank you for posting! Honored that you chose my thread to be the beginning of your cardschat journey!!

Appreciate that Evan! Thanks very much for the reply - the thread is so good and helpful. I'm sure I'll post more in the future!

Keep up the good work man!

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Evan, thanks, great advice! I’ll definitely watch the icmizer video if you make one �� Most of the time I can figure out why it is saying what it is, but sometimes I don’t get it. Cheers, A

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Evan, quick question. Are you hosting any more online poker league games anytime soon? They are pretty sweet.

Hey Amanda!

Unfortunately the game last Saturday was the final Online Poker League Event (Highlight reel going up on youtube very soon!)

My current games are the "Who wants to be a Millionaire" homegame league every sunday at 2pm ET http://millionaire.poker & My Sunday night stormers homegame at 6pm ET

I give away free buyins to both games so if you're able to drop by the stream get those marbles warmed up and hope for a good roll!

See ya Sunday :drunken_s

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Evan, Thanks for the info. Then sometimes you also jump into and stream the other stormers games on ACR at midday, is that right?

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Evan, Thanks for the info. Then sometimes you also jump into and stream the other stormers games on ACR at midday, is that right?

The stormers homegame is at 6pm ET yes and it’s a $1.65 buyin.

I see you reached legendary status as well, congrats Amanda!

Lenka65

Lenka65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

Guys, tell me how to stay calm at the poker table when your pocket aces moved and you have a very short stack left.

J

jesusdemaria

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
poker rooms

Hello!
My question is if you think it is better to play in a single poker room and concentrate well in that room and all its variables or play in several poker rooms :confused:...
Grettings!

andreypuch

andreypuch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Cardschatters!

I have been teaching playing poker for over 15 years and teaching it for 10 on my youtube channel. I absolutely love teaching poker and helping players improve their game.

I know first hand how frustrating it can be to have a question which you can't get the answer to and how much it can drive a mind nuts. So I'm here to offer my experience and services to help put your busy mind at rest and help you build confidence in your self and your poker game.

Over the past 5 years I have made 100 Q+A videos in https://www.youtube.com/user/gripsed/playlists?view=50&sort=dd&shelf_id=18

If you've got a question that hasn't already been made into a video please post it here and I will give you a written response, and if you're lucky I might even make a video on it too!

Looking forward to being of service and helping you reach your goals in poker, be it to be the best player in the room, or simply to have more fun with your friends.

Let's Get Stackin!

Hi. I have a question: How do you regulate your sessions by time? The point is this: I play one session for about 1.5 hours, and I win. But. If I play for, say, about 3 hours, I go back to my original buy-in. I don't know why, but I'm losing my concentration. That's probably why I don't play tournaments. I can't find my concentration. It's not about the number of tables. I can play both one table and 6. How do You handle it? How do you set yourself up? Thanks.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you have funds on multiple sites, do you use a bankroll management plan for each individual bankroll or is based on your total bank roll. lets say your brm plan is 100x buy-ins for mtts.

for example, if you had a $500 bankroll but it's divvied up as such:

• site a: $100
  • site b: $170
  • site c: $90
  • side d: $240
do you allow yourself to play up to $5 mtts because of your total bankroll or can you only play, for example, up to.90 mtts on site c and up to $2 games on site d?

Last edited: