My anger at poker

Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Emotions make the rational part stop working almost completely, therefore if you feel that you cannot control it at that moment, it is best to end the session, since what we want is to make money, right?
Luckily every day I work on it a little more and I think that the time will come when I do not have to resort to this, since I do not stop trying to understand how my mind works more and more, In the end you have to be honest with one And I think that what I take the worst is to lose many hands in the same day against a fish, since when I win one with a better hand and play it the right way, it doesn't bother me at all. What makes my GOD LEVEL ego activate is what I consider injustices, especially those that are associated with recreational ones. So what's up? Well, the cause of my anger is in certain beliefs, wrong beliefs and that is the root of the problem.
Beliefs are shown as value judgments about the other person or about something that they do that I do not consent to. The idea about that person and what he does is an assumption of mine, and also a personal assessment that most likely is not true, which does not matter because the important thing is only to realize my way of thinking, and how not to I tolerate what I see. And I don't tolerate it because I just think it's wrong, and that's the only problem, mistakenly considering something to be wrong without really knowing what totally acceptable motive drives each person to do what they do. It is any value judgment that has to be disintegrated.

It is the opinion of a quasi fish beginner trying to stop being one.

Thank you for always being there.

Kind regards from Buenos Aires.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It is a tricky and never-ending process to even get close to mastering.

I allow myself to get angry in the moment (after all I am on-line in private) but then let go of that flash or anger as fast as possible, and keep a broad perspective. The concept I attempt to bring to mind is that of focusing on the process rather than the outcome (a business term often used in poker as focusing on decision rather than result)

If your decision was sound but the play failed (particularly when against wild play) then be content with the play/decision and understand variance will get the better of you with some regularity.

I find myself, little by little, more relaxed about bad outcomes. Today I played three tourneys and in the first my KK was beaten by 66 very close to the bubble and I was out. I was angry for a brief period but then refocused on the other tourney (more difficult and exclusive) and cashed, then cashed in the final tourney I played.

This is where a balanced perspective is so vital. The correct play early in the session fails and I am briefly annoyed (but I would not play the hand any other way). However, by the time the day/session is done everything is right in my world and I am content.

And that is the feeling to grab and bear in mind at the next bad flashpoint - it is just a momentary set back and over the longer arc, your good decisions will reward you.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Let's say you're playing a game of dice against an opponent. In this game, you both bet $10 and if the opponent rolls a 1-5, you win. If the opponent rolls a 6, they win. So, in this game, you're an 80% favorite.

If we take a look at your EV in this game:
  • EV = [$20*.80] - [$10*.20]
  • EV = $16 - $2
  • EV = +$14
So, on average, you're profiting $14 dollars per game in the long run. Out of 100 games, you can expect to be up +$1400.

So, if your opponent rolls a 6, how mad would you get? Would you feel like quitting the game because they happened to hit their 1/6 chance to beat you? Would you think the game is rigged or it's unjust when you don't hold as an 80% favorite? Honestly, you probably don't get angry at all because you know the odds of your opponent rolling a 1-5 is much greater and you're winning more money in the long run.

And that's how poker is. You get your money in good as an 80% favorite, 65% favorite, 97% favorite, whatever, and you're getting paid off more often than you're losing in the long run. Why would losing as an 80% favorite in poker be worse than losing as an 80% favorite in a dice roll? It's exactly the same odds.

So, who cares about what hands bad players play? Who cares if they sometimes catch as an underdog to beat? Who cares about their reasoning? You aren't there to justify how someone wants to play. You're there to get your money in good and profit off of it. Don't worry about those random (mostly) 20-35% underdogs that get there sometimes.

And, on top of that, sometimes you're going to get in behind as well. You might not play bad hands like J5o preflop, but you'll run KK into AA, AQ into AK, etc. You're going to get into spots where you'll sometimes be the underdog, but you're going to win some of the time in these spots. You might not be risking J5o vs KK (~15/85 pre), but you might run KQs v KK (~15/85 pre). So, you'll find yourself in spots as an underdog, just less frequently. So, don't think it's unfair when a hand like J5o beats you aren't putting yourself in the same situation as the bad players are. In the long run, playing J5o is a losing play, no matter if they win, say, 40% of the time.

Last edited:
P

pablo lima

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my anger I think is that of every poker player who is losing a hand where you have 93% to win it and on the river the villain's card beats whether it's a three, a straight or even two pair this makes anyone crazy life.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
my anger I think is that of every poker player who is losing a hand where you have 93% to win it and on the river the villain's card beats whether it's a three, a straight or even two pair this makes anyone crazy life.

If you are involved in a lot of hands where you are a 93% favorite going to the river & you are focusing on those rare hands where you lose, my guess is your one of those folks who just like to whine. Enjoy. :ciao:

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let's say you're playing a game of dice against an opponent. In this game, you both bet $10 and if the opponent rolls a 1-5, you win. If the opponent rolls a 6, they win. So, in this game, you're an 80% favorite.

If we take a look at your EV in this game:
  • EV = [$20*.80] - [$10*.20]
  • EV = $16 - $2
  • EV = +$14
So, on average, you're profiting $14 dollars per game in the long run. Out of 100 games, you can expect to be up +$1400.

So, if your opponent rolls a 6, how mad would you get? Would you feel like quitting the game because they happened to hit their 1/6 chance to beat you? Would you think the game is rigged or it's unjust when you don't hold as an 80% favorite? Honestly, you probably don't get angry at all because you know the odds of your opponent rolling a 1-5 is much greater and you're winning more money in the long run.

And that's how poker is. You get your money in good as an 80% favorite, 65% favorite, 97% favorite, whatever, and you're getting paid off more often than you're losing in the long run. Why would losing as an 80% favorite in poker be worse than losing as an 80% favorite in a dice roll? It's exactly the same odds.

So, who cares about what hands bad players play? Who cares if they sometimes catch as an underdog to beat? Who cares about their reasoning? You aren't there to justify how someone wants to play. You're there to get your money in good and profit off of it. Don't worry about those random (mostly) 20-35% underdogs that get there sometimes.

And, on top of that, sometimes you're going to get in behind as well. You might not play bad hands like J5o preflop, but you'll run KK into AA, AQ into AK, etc. You're going to get into spots where you'll sometimes be the underdog, but you're going to win some of the time in these spots. You might not be risking J5o vs KK (~15/85 pre), but you might run KQs v KK (~15/85 pre). So, you'll find yourself in spots as an underdog, just less frequently. So, don't think it's unfair when a hand like J5o beats you aren't putting yourself in the same situation as the bad players are. In the long run, playing J5o is a losing play, no matter if they win, say, 40% of the time.

I like the breakdown here, it makes sense. However, in poker you have to be able to put your opponent on a range, correct? Those hopefully one-off plays they make to steal your monies with a dog of a hand... it's easy to understand why someone would get mad. However, I think you could argue you want to know more about your opponent before jumping into a big hand with them.

Anyway, this was a good read. Thanks. :wavey:

gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’ve tried to learn that the game can be extremely frustrating sometimes when you get ridiculous bad beats. It’s just part of the game mechanics.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
everybody talks about variance, but why do we see the same faces at the final tables? after all, these are people who are not robots ,,, how they manage to show a good game ,,,,

M

MickGreed

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems I go thru streaks, bad beats for months then out of the blue I start getting some really good hands, I just laugh it off, its fun, try again, course I dont jeopardize my hard earn money, so its all in fun, There some people that really take it serious,

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are involved in a lot of hands where you are a 93% favorite going to the river & you are focusing on those rare hands where you lose, my guess is your one of those folks who just like to whine. Enjoy. :ciao:
if you're involved in a lot of hands where you are the 93% favorite to the river, my guess is you're a pretty good player!

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
if you're involved in a lot of hands where you are the 93% favorite to the river, my guess is you're a pretty good player!

True that.
icon14.gif

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

I'd suggest... "take a couple of weeks off... then quit the game"

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think so... at least not in tournament play.
"If you're not getting it in bad, you're not getting it in enough!"
Not sure what you mean by "getting it in bad"? Seems that strategy relies on luck more than anything else. That's oaky if you're lucky, I guess.

The odds are there for a reason. I should win 93% of the time if I'm 93% favored to win. If I start throwing my stack in the middle every time I'm 40% favored to win, I 'should lose the tournament, unless I'm pretty sure my opponent can be pushed off his better hand. Most can't.

jj77jwj

jj77jwj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I definitely get angry when I play poker it cause you to pull your hair out I'm telling you some people just throw there money away and play with nothing I guess they got it like that what can you do

Sansam

Sansam

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try not to sit down at a poker game in a bad mood or irritated. In this state, the player makes mistakes more often, loses more and then gets even more angry. I like the expression "The better the mood, the more the winnings") I try to follow it.

D

dukgen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am the same way, and if that makes me a beginner then I understand it to try to change for the better. We’re only human, and it takes work to change our bad tendencies. I’m not a very religious man, but I do believe and respect it. There is a verse that stays in my mind in these situations: God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change (donk players and being beaten by them), courage to change the things I can (playing well and winning in the long run), and the wisdom to know the difference (advanced play against a good opponent, and simple reasonable play against a donk calling station-don’t bluff them).

Last edited:
flail1

flail1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
A tool I use is keeping a paper and pencil handy and marking down number of times I lose and win a flip. I also track win and losses when I'm a big fav, like 80% or more. Usually runs pretty true each month of play but there are a few bad streaks in there - never really been on a heater though. But a good tool to stay thinking about the math and not so much on anger.

YenRodriguez

YenRodriguez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Emotions tend to deconcentrate us, it is difficult to lose good hands against less favorite hands. But that's right, this is poker. a seesaw and study to have the best chance of winning playing with everything.

J

Jedrey

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
My anger is that I'm winning the hand and the River hits the card the opponent needs.
But I also get angry when I start to lose without paying even in what I'm doing, sometimes I do it on impulse, or even insist on the hand to the end and with that I lose a lot of money.
Today I am able to concentrate more and when I start to get into this bad phase, I start to pass more hands and only play when I have very good cards.
Until I find the rhythm again.

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even the best poker players have emotions and anger. The main thing is being able to either control it, or dispel it quickly while at the poker table. Just YouTube poker blow ups for a good laugh.

Porras2424

Porras2424

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are many amounts of anger against poker, call it, rage, anger, that everything is fixed, all this and more can be understandable reactions but ... until you know the real game of poker, it is a game of knowing how to understand it, know what There is the variance vendita, which is a very lucky game, and apart from knowing how to analyze it, that not all that glitters is gold, it is full of strategies, knowing that you never have a safe hand until the river arrives, it is a game so competitive that this is what many of us love, it is not always winning, so well you have to understand that there are days that are not so good and know how to say them, that it is a game of long-term gains, you have to study it daily, You should not play off the bench ,, from inisia from below, micro limits ,, that is what causes many frustration and they turn it into rage, anger,I mean, they enter the useful state and that is the negative reaction towards the game, if any of us happens to us, a mental couch is ideal, poker is what makes it so special, personal concept, , getting angry is normal ,, ravia ,, it is frustration of wanting to run where you should crawl ,,,, luck and do not get angry, in the long run you will win ,,,

Bugi

Bugi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’ve tried to learn that the game can be extremely frustrating sometimes when you get ridiculous bad beats. It’s just part of the game mechanics.
If I knew what they knew I'd be there with them.

Poker is a game of merit in the long run. In my case I can clearly see that I am better than I was two years ago and my work to improve continues. The more I work on it the more I will improve.

Insane bad beats are part of the game. Tilt is not a big problem for me. It used to be.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I get so tired of seeing large stacks with any 2 cards. Today, five hands in a row, the big stack is the underdog in a heads up. Sure enough big stack wins. I am not going to complain. I may have 4k to 6k chips. We are like 5 spots away from being in the money, and it is like pot shots going off. ping, ping 2 more out. ping another person with 8k chips out against a person with 14k chips. ping, oh he was smart thinking his 7k chips allin bet is gonna scare a 16k chip player, ping , big stack with 79 suited pulls off a win against another small stack, one less player I have to get past. It is just hallucinating seeing it unfold tournament after tournament.