All in with pocket pairs 55 and lower.

Marcus_Trivinho

Marcus_Trivinho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it ok to go all in SB vs BB with 10BB left and tournament is already ITM ?
Just curious, cauze i have been lately lose a lot, most of this situations.
Its just that if somebody have 2 cards higher than 5, there is so many outs to help them out.
Is this a leak ? Or i should keep pushing and wait for upswing, or begin to be more tight ?
Thank you.

PINOY

PINOY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its just that if somebody have 2 cards higher than 5, there is so many outs to help them out.
Is this a leak ? Or i should keep pushing and wait for upswing, or begin to be more tight ?
Thank you.

It's really fine to go all-in blind vs blind, once itm - aim is to reach Final table, 10bb you cannot play post flop. Losing SB vs BB is just variance.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think if you have only 10BB left, then this is the right decision. There is no point in waiting for something better.

Marcus_Trivinho

Marcus_Trivinho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's really fine to go all-in blind vs blind, once itm - aim is to reach Final table, 10bb you cannot play post flop. Losing SB vs BB is just variance.

I think if you have only 10BB left, then this is the right decision. There is no point in waiting for something better.

Thank you guys! I'll follow your advice next time, is that psychologically I don't feel comfortable going all in with 55 on the SB hahaha

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! I always have a stupid loss with 5.5 and below, the villains win even without having one pair, but only the top card (there are two pair on the table), so I avoid doing all-in with such cards preflop.
Best regards, Sergei.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like low-range pocket pairs. Many players may see this action as a one-on-one game to steal the blinds if you are in the small blind and pushing all in. So the power of your hand is lost in their understanding.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Blind vs. blind with 10BB effective push ranges are always wide, and it would be extremely rare, that they did not include any pocket pair. There would need to be some real special situation like a final table, where BB has a huge stack, and several other players are running on fumes, before you might consider to fold a pair.

Its way different, if you are facing a jam. Then a small pair can often be a fold, because you have no fold equity. But almost noone call with any two cards, when they are facing a 10BB jam, and picking it up increase your stack almost 25%, which is huge. So dont focus so much on those times, where you get called and lose.

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you.

it's good to go all-in in any late position at this time if it folded to you, not only in sb

KeyJey

KeyJey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All in between the blinds is fine. And with a 10bb stack with such cards, you have to go all-in.

F

fegyo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes, it is absolutely right. Try to check longer period in your hand history.

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yes...AND NO!
Basically, there is no single right answer and you should seek to avoid "I always do this" or "I never do that" decisions in poker. Rather, you might think of it as Yes, I might do this up to 70% of the time, given other factors.
Other factors include:
1. Speed of blind increases. If the blinds are going up every 10 mins, then a 10BB stack might last long enough for a better hand to come along. So you might play them or you might not.
2. The size of antes. If there are no antes AND the blinds are advancing slowly, you will have lots of time to get a better hand.
3. That said, my reduction of 55 play advice is for early position. I'd play them a lot of the time from later positions (HJ/CO/BUT/SB/BB)
4. You need to understand your opponent's range. Going all in against someone with a tight range will result in more folds, but also in more beats when you are called. If the player is a call station with a wide range, you will fare better.
5. Pre-flop action. If you're saying you are playing a full ring which folds around to SB, that is very different from saying there are three players left and one folds. Especially if you are playing with a loose table and everyone still folds. In this case, the chances of the BB having a strong hand increases significantly.
6. Remember, it is always about range vs range. T4s beats 98s heads up against each other, but 98s flops WAY BETTER than T4s against a tight range. 55 is similar.
7. I know push/fold charts are pretty fashionable these days, and they will generally recommend you push this hand. But then again, if I KNOW an opponent is playing off a push/fold chart, I can calculate my equity against my opponent's range (if I'm BB and responding to your all in).
8. Blind Defense: Late game, it becomes more important for a player to strongly defend their blinds. They represent a bigger portion of their overall stack. I'd call a min raise for example, from the SB with nearly all my range as the equity realisation is almost guaranteed. But I'd still offset this with whatever other intel I have against my opponent;
I could go on...;)
So it isn't a robotic decision. It is not a question of "Is it right to do this"? Rather more of a question of how often you should do this against a specific opponent. Bottom line, it is not good enough to simply have a chart that says SB action is to push with X when <10BB. Sticking to such a rigid rule 100% of the time with no other information is a recipe for disaster.
Cheers,
ObbleeXY

pljosko

pljosko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you.
Yes and no, it depends on the structure of the prizes, since you are already ITM.

arenaci

arenaci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Against 2 overcards you are favorite to win the hand 55%. So it is no brainer to push with any pair.

EmiTou

EmiTou

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Look, a few days ago I lost in a wcoop allin with 55, there are really times when if it would be good to go with everything, try to do it against the least amount of players possible and of course it is also a matter of luck that you do not repeat any of your cards your opponent, these are critical moments when I think going all-in with that pair may be possible. Not at all times of a tournament will that play serve you, on many occasions it will send you home.

Marcus_Trivinho

Marcus_Trivinho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything is dependent on the situation of the place as expected.

How many people are on the table. etc.

Yes bro, you have to evaluate the table and position well, but I think yes the bet is valid:D

Marcus_Trivinho

Marcus_Trivinho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! I always have a stupid loss with 5.5 and below, the villains win even without having one pair, but only the top card (there are two pair on the table), so I avoid doing all-in with such cards preflop.
Best regards, Sergei.

yes bro, but depending on how many blinds you have the bet is plausible:)

Marcus_Trivinho

Marcus_Trivinho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Blind vs. blind with 10BB effective push ranges are always wide, and it would be extremely rare, that they did not include any pocket pair. There would need to be some real special situation like a final table, where BB has a huge stack, and several other players are running on fumes, before you might consider to fold a pair.

Its way different, if you are facing a jam. Then a small pair can often be a fold, because you have no fold equity. But almost noone call with any two cards, when they are facing a 10BB jam, and picking it up increase your stack almost 25%, which is huge. So dont focus so much on those times, where you get called and lose.

Yes bro, that's what I'm talking about, very good argument I liked, I totally agree with you!:D

5KINGLEO5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
from the button, the small blind is the best solution, I always play from this position. From earlier positions it is a fold.

Marcus_Trivinho

Marcus_Trivinho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes...AND NO!
Basically, there is no single right answer and you should seek to avoid "I always do this" or "I never do that" decisions in poker. Rather, you might think of it as Yes, I might do this up to 70% of the time, given other factors.
Other factors include:
1. Speed of blind increases. If the blinds are going up every 10 mins, then a 10BB stack might last long enough for a better hand to come along. So you might play them or you might not.
2. The size of antes. If there are no antes AND the blinds are advancing slowly, you will have lots of time to get a better hand.
3. That said, my reduction of 55 play advice is for early position. I'd play them a lot of the time from later positions (HJ/CO/BUT/SB/BB)
4. You need to understand your opponent's range. Going all in against someone with a tight range will result in more folds, but also in more beats when you are called. If the player is a call station with a wide range, you will fare better.
5. Pre-flop action. If you're saying you are playing a full ring which folds around to SB, that is very different from saying there are three players left and one folds. Especially if you are playing with a loose table and everyone still folds. In this case, the chances of the BB having a strong hand increases significantly.
6. Remember, it is always about range vs range. T4s beats 98s heads up against each other, but 98s flops WAY BETTER than T4s against a tight range. 55 is similar.
7. I know push/fold charts are pretty fashionable these days, and they will generally recommend you push this hand. But then again, if I KNOW an opponent is playing off a push/fold chart, I can calculate my equity against my opponent's range (if I'm BB and responding to your all in).
8. Blind Defense: Late game, it becomes more important for a player to strongly defend their blinds. They represent a bigger portion of their overall stack. I'd call a min raise for example, from the SB with nearly all my range as the equity realisation is almost guaranteed. But I'd still offset this with whatever other intel I have against my opponent;
I could go on...;)
So it isn't a robotic decision. It is not a question of "Is it right to do this"? Rather more of a question of how often you should do this against a specific opponent. Bottom line, it is not good enough to simply have a chart that says SB action is to push with X when <10BB. Sticking to such a rigid rule 100% of the time with no other information is a recipe for disaster.
Cheers,
ObbleeXY

Yes bro, I agree on the issue that decisions in poker should not be taken as a simple automatic action, but that in most cases depending on the BB profile, the all-in action is the most favorable to maintain the stack, especially if the all in action is on Button or HJ! Thank you very much for your considerations, it gave me a wide view of what my action should be in this type of situation!
:)

Marcus_Trivinho

Marcus_Trivinho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Look, a few days ago I lost in a wcoop allin with 55, there are really times when if it would be good to go with everything, try to do it against the least amount of players possible and of course it is also a matter of luck that you do not repeat any of your cards your opponent, these are critical moments when I think going all-in with that pair may be possible. Not at all times of a tournament will that play serve you, on many occasions it will send you home.

Yes bro, I agree, but there are times when in my opinion this is the right move:(