AK or 88?

B

BeiMoh420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would you rather have AK or 88 preflop? I think 88 is statistically better but the implied odds are better with AK?

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They both suck when they miss the flop. I've recently lost a fortune with AK , so I'd rather have 88 so I can easily toss them away when 3 over hit the flop.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Gamble in the red zone in you go depends on the flop and how many players in the hand what blinds are like 88 when hit a set has the potential to cripple the AKs that hit.

Wiltz82

Wiltz82

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've had 88 before and nothing on the table was bigger then the 88 and still lost to a straight. I would rather have AK cause if you hit your gonna a pretty good hand.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love to look down at a pair, but at the end of the day rather see AK, just potentially much better than the 88. Anyhow, rather see the bigger hand and take a flop.

Honeybuns666

Honeybuns666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd much rather have AK. You have such a better chance to have someone dominated. 88 vs KQs is scary flip but AKo vs KQs you're way ahead. Plus 99-QQ you're drawing to two cards with AK it's a flip

T

TH13gambler

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to me it doesn't really matter and depends on table position more than anything, if im early position id rather have AK. But you just gotta play the cards your dealth the best you can sometimes the weak hands win to.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What's the circumstances ? is it cash or tourny/anti's ?, how deep are we ,among a dozen other questions.

fiddlesticks123

fiddlesticks123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Right now I'm going through a period where I just cannot hit over cards against a pocket pair, so I'm gonna say I'd rather have 88. I've lost a bunch with AK lately :(

cocojambo

cocojambo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:8h4: :8d4: is a powerful pair. I like it very much,more than :as4: :ah4:

Last edited:
nml

nml

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would you rather have AK or 88 preflop? I think 88 is statistically better but the implied odds are better with AK?

I think your implied odds are higher with 88 - AK is considered the better hand since you are likely to be facing a lot of other A and K, which you dominate, and other broadway cards like QJ, JT, etc.

However, you are much more likely to get paid off with something like 88, since it’s hard to read and easy to disguise. AQ is going to pay you off on a A8Q board, or even A83. A7, however, is unlikely to call down or show much aggression, unless it’s a poor player (you can get paid with top pair, top kicker a TON at micro stakes, since people over value top pair).

AlexStar1981

AlexStar1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course AK is much more tempting than 88, and they are very sorry to drop when the flop is empty, but the pair is already a couple!

belka2203

belka2203

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The program Equilab considers 88 - 52.29% against AsKs - 47.71%. And in recent times I have been unable to get to the flop with AK, for this reason I prefer 88.

K

Kashtree

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ALL pocket pairs, 22-KK,are ahead pre flop against any 2 non paired over cards and only have 2 vs. The villains 6 outs for improvement. I like to get my money in when Im good so I will call with my pocket pair. If im shoving with AK I really only want to see a worse Ax turn over

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer a pair of 88, I don't have many good memories with AK...

I already lost two tournaments in a row with an AK vs. AA, where I flopped a Top Pair of A on a dry board... :c

R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always prefer the pair to the draw. Until they're behind. Then I want the other one.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I will take the 88 simply because I feel its better to have a hand before the flop but statistically speaking its basically 52% to 48% on 88 to AK.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It really depends on the situation. Each has its advantages in different situations. If I am blind to knowing any situational info, I will take AK. If you are sticking me heads up against the other, I'll take the pair. Anything else I need to have more insight.

IN8FI8NI8TY

IN8FI8NI8TY

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If going allin, I want AK (likely to pair 33%), but 88 if limping in (likely to make set 16%. Still need large implied odds.

Miketheman190

Miketheman190

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You usually always have a chance with AK but 88 could possibly be dominated preflop. Don't be afraid to fold AK facing aggression post flop

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK is just better hand. With 88 you miss most of the flops. Many times you will see one or two overcards and give up many times. AK just give you more capabilities postflop. 88 is just a little better hand preflop. Postflop is just another thing. With AK you can barrel with flush draws, overcards, you block villain strong combinations , its easier to valuebet villain's worse Ax, Kx. 88 is just average hand when you miss a flop.

C

CoidyOnSky

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
All Depends on Game & Position.....

Are you big blind to 3 limpers deep 1st hand in MTT..

Or under the Gun.. On the Bubble of Sit N Go

T

TEIS22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I literally just beat someone with 88 and he had AK suited. Odds are better with AK but to have a good pair and have the odds of hitting trips are pretty good as well

Krypton173

Krypton173

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Both :D so i have more chances to win, on the more serious side it doesn't matter what hand you get, you play it to the best of your ability.