AA

Hopper21

Hopper21

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Is there ever a situation where you would fold AA preflop? Example: beginning of Main Event, raise, 3-bet, shove, call before you? With a few players in, aren't you usually less than 50% chance of winning?

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the end of the tournament, I think there are cases where it folds.

srurrr

srurrr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never fold AA preflop. If you're afraid of losing AA, just look at the flop before deciding.

Schokk

Schokk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is a bad idea to fold AA on preflop!
Because you have the best hand at this moment and no one else cannot have a better one, before the flop, so the best decision is to go all-in!

A

AllOut

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is there ever a situation where you would fold AA preflop? Example: beginning of Main Event, raise, 3-bet, shove, call before you? With a few players in, aren't you usually less than 50% chance of winning?

I don't think anyone would've fold AA there. By your calling I guess you'll most probably get in the 3-way pot, I don't see first raiser or 3better calls with hands like AQ or JJ and below pairs. You'll be against hands like KK, QQ or AK and even if you get in 4-way, you're still around 70% favourite. That's worth calling in the earlier of tourney no matter how big it is.

Only if it was in late tables, like near the bubble - then some people might consider folding aces pre-flop in an unusual multi way allins. That must be one of the strange moments where 4 or more players move in. I personally would've called there too, whatever happens. Because once you win, you'll have empire stack to dominate the rest of game. It's huge advantage in late stages where average stack size of other players will be around 20. You'll easily dictate the table - eat blinds probably 3 out of 4 times.

deputat777

deputat777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA meaning to throw away, this is the highest pocket pair.

P

pontvadasz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, AA is my grandma. About 60% loss. I've fallen out with it several times in competitions, before synchro - more often than not I'd rather throw it away in such situations.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
only 2 situations i could think of.

1. on a satellite bubble when i have a seat locked in and calling an all-in with aces would put me at risk of bubbling.

2. on a final table where calling with aces wouldn't increase my stack by that much, but i'm guaranteed a money jump if i fold.

...lets say i have 1 bb in the sb with aa. there are 5 players left. utg, mp1, co go all-in for ~12 bbs each. btn calls and has them all covered. if i call and win, i get ~5 bb side pot. if i lose, i bust out in 5th. if i fold, it's guaranteed at least 1 or more players are busting out and i take a money jump. so, folding is my best option to cashout as high as possible.

for my 2nd example, i don't think calling is bad either if that's what you want to do. for me, at a final table, it's going to come down to 'should i play to maximize my profits or to increase my finish position'? in this situation, if i had 10 bbs, then i would call because winning would put me in a much better situation to finish in a top 3 spot if my hand holds (i pick up 40+ bb pot). however, 5 bbs doesn't increase my likelihood off finishing in top 3, so i focus more on my maximizing my profits.

Ellvira

Ellvira

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you drop AA on the preflop, then which hands to play, there is something that will give confidence in the hand

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
your equity with aces does go down the more players involved in the hand, but so does the equity of all other hands in the same situation.

it's possible that maybe some suited connector hand would have a slight edge over aces in the right situation, but seeing as this unlikely scenario is at the beginning of the main event, we can safely assume we're looking at big pairs here and not mid suited connectors.

so, should you call with aces in this spot? wsop main event starts with 300 bbs, so stacks are pretty darn deep. in my opinion:

-no, you shouldn't call if you have a huge edge over majority of the field. you wouldn't need to take this risk for 300 bbs and you'll likely find much better spots against weaker opponents to build up your stack.

-yes, if you don't have an edge over majority or any of the players. doubling or tripling up or better would put you at a huge advantage over your opponents and give you that edge to run deep, cash, and do well.

since i am bad at poker and i need all the edge i can get, i 100% call with aces here.

F

findybaby

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why would you ever fold AA pre-flop.

B

billiamwedge

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would never fold AA pre-flop unless I was top 5 in chips and theres 12 people left and only 11 get paid and 11th gets garunteed like $10,000, and I satelited in for 2 dollars in a 100 dollar buyin event and it was a once in a lifetime opportunity, and the shortest stack has 3 big blinds, and someone shoved on me with more blinds than I have.

See not a very common scenario so in short, no never.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

There are situations where it can be justifiably "correct" to fold AA preflop, but these cases are extremely rare.

only 2 situations i could think of.

1. on a satellite bubble when i have a seat locked in and calling an all-in with aces would put me at risk of bubbling.

2. on a final table where calling with aces wouldn't increase my stack by that much, but i'm guaranteed a money jump if i fold.

...lets say i have 1 bb in the sb with aa. there are 5 players left. utg, mp1, co go all-in for ~12 bbs each. btn calls and has them all covered. if i call and win, i get ~5 bb side pot. if i lose, i bust out in 5th. if i fold, it's guaranteed at least 1 or more players are busting out and i take a money jump. so, folding is my best option to cashout as high as possible.

for my 2nd example, i don't think calling is bad either if that's what you want to do. for me, at a final table, it's going to come down to 'should i play to maximize my profits or to increase my finish position'? in this situation, if i had 10 bbs, then i would call because winning would put me in a much better situation to finish in a top 3 spot if my hand holds (i pick up 40+ bb pot). however, 5 bbs doesn't increase my likelihood off finishing in top 3, so i focus more on my maximizing my profits.

+1 I agree with this post; satellite bubble was my first scenario too, but again, AA is a VERY rare fold preflop, but possible. I also immediately thought of this scene from "The Big Game" where AA was folded. This fold may be correct if looking at a long-term perspective of this entire game - not just the one hand being played. Our "loose cannon" was up a solid amount of money to them and they planned to just fold every remaining hand to end the game with a nice profit to take home.

Last edited:
P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also immediately thought of this scene from "The Big Game" where AA was folded. This fold may be correct if looking at a long-term perspective of this entire game - not just the one hand being played. Our "loose cannon" was up a solid amount of money to them and they planned to just fold every remaining hand to end the game with a nice profit to take home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwVldL2VDHw
this is such a solid fold and a solid strategy. the fold seems silly if you don't understand the game dynamics, but glad he went in with a plan and stuck with it.

YenRodriguez

YenRodriguez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
being the main event and just starting the tournament is scary.
but an all in would not be bad.

VikyGia

VikyGia

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Opition

I have never folded preflop with AA, however it is advisable to increase the bet preflop to avoid players entering with any kind of bad hand and winning.:D

willjosp

willjosp

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AA is the strongest hand before seeing the community cards and the probability of winning will depend on the position at the table and how many players enter the hand :smile:

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is such a solid fold and a solid strategy. the fold seems silly if you don't understand the game dynamics, but glad he went in with a plan and stuck with it.
Yes for sure. I don't remember how much they took home, but I believe it was a little over 100k. This is a nice profit for a non-pro against pros. I don't blame them for deciding to fold the remaining hands. Additionally, they collected a large pot recently before this to help contribute to their total profit.

AA is the strongest hand before seeing the community cards and the probability of winning will depend on the position at the table and how many players enter the hand :smile:

Agreed. In the clip I posted, Fischman (AdAc) was only 67.32% favorite over Mercier and Laak with these exact hole cards known (percentage calculated with free poker calculator Equilab). AA is no doubt a premium hand, but they were also in the Small Blind (out of position) with Mercier in the Big Blind (more likely to defend and really likely against a non-pro when they hold pocket 4s in the Big Blind) and Laak raising preflop with position on them both.

The decision to fold even AA is becoming more and more reasonable when one analyzes this spot from the macro perspective of this game compared to this individual hand in a vacuum. :eek:

Aleks75

Aleks75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi !:hello:
I can't drop AA-I can't get over myself.Although in the process of studying, I understand that it is necessary to do this in the middle, late stage of MTT, especially on the bubble.In addition ,it is an indicator of the player's skill.

You're right!But there are times when the fish come in with any two cards(and there's nothing you can do about it.I used to think that such people come across only on microlemites,but no, they are found on all abi.

Last edited by a moderator:
abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nah i would still call nomater what. I mean even if pay jump is close, by winning that hand i would get a huuge stack and chances to win the whole thing.

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

At the example I would shove too, but at the bubble in this same situation I would fold.

flail1

flail1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I have never folded AA before, but I have folded KK on several occasions - once I recall in BB where pot was 4 bet all in for over 100 BBs. Never saw outcome as all folded but I suspect it was AA that bombed the pot.