$500 to spend improving my game

P

pokernomad

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey all,

I was interested to know, if you have $500 to spend on improving your game, how would spend it and what are your recommendations?

I already use PT4 and have a number of books on poker strategy but I would like to improve my game and move up the levels.

I have been using Preflop+ Postflop+ and Solver+ free versions and they seem helpful, if limited as I haven't paid for them - anyone use these programs and can comment on their usefulness?

I currently play micro stakes cash poker for fun and I have a positive win rate at NL5 Full Ring and 6Max after 10k hands.

Any thoughts or recommendations re really appreciated

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The most effective way to improve your game in my opinion is to hire a good coach! After all, even the champions are engaged with them!

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$500 to Invest? No Problem

Hey all,

I was interested to know, if you have $500 to spend on improving your game, how would spend it and what are your recommendations?

I already use PT4 and have a number of books on poker strategy but I would like to improve my game and move up the levels.

I have been using Preflop+ Postflop+ and Solver+ free versions and they seem helpful, if limited as I haven't paid for them - anyone use these programs and can comment on their usefulness?

I currently play micro stakes cash poker for fun and I have a positive win rate at NL5 Full Ring and 6Max after 10k hands.

This is my recommendation, sign up, explore the packages available and see what you think, i can advise this is a really top poker resource and used/endorsed by several world class leading pros and the best thing is...you can tailor this to you level of play.

https://bbzpoker.com/

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hey all,

The problem in answering the question is we really dont know about you and what you know. Your wining after 10K hands but 10K is not a lot of hands to really have an idea if your a winning player at that level or not. You need to do this to 50 or really even 100K hands to know.

As for tools. You get what you pay for. Using the free version is great to start and see what you think of the tools but there limitations are usually huge.

So you play for fun so far. I like that as that why you got into the game. If its about the money and you dont envoy it its becomes works. I play for the fun as well and the love of the game. Don't care how much I win and it helps. Does not mean I dont take it seriously.

As for what I would do might be very different than what you should do. No matter how much you spend will not necessarily help you overall. While I play for fun I am a student of the game. If you are not putting in the time and effort to study and improve no matter what you do it wont help long term. Also the game is always evolving. You will need to never stop learning and studying the game. Mike sexton said it best. No limit holdem, It take a minimum to learn and a lifetime to master.

As for what you should do, I will make this suggestion. Sit down and really evaluate what you want from the game. Ask your self the really hard questions. If I do this will I be willing to sit for 1/3 of my playing time studying and reviewing the game. Can you be brutally honest with your self? Yes that's a big question. 20 friend can sit there and say it was bad luck but can you honestly review the hand and admit you really did not play that hand well? I meant what I said, can you be brutally honest with your self. Are you realistic with your goals? Many people make this type of investment looking to make some real cash but it may take years to really start making money. Are you willing to accept that? Are you willing to accept losses as you learn? Yes losses. As you learn you will make some big mistakes when trying something new. Its a long learning process.

If your really ready and want please feel free to ask me questions and I would be happy to respond.

FYI, what do I meant by brutally? Last live wsop event before covid we were on the money bubble. I had played well all day to get there. I lost a flip my last hand to be the bubble boy. So why did I not get paid? Many I know say it was just bad luck to lose the flip. I lost the payout because I misplayed a hand 20 minutes earlier is why. My mistake is what cost me not the last hand. Had I not made that error the last hand would not have the way it did. I lost not by luck but by mistake. If you can look at the game this way, you are on your way to something more.

P

pokernomad

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is my recommendation, sign up, explore the packages available and see what you think, i can advise this is a really top poker resource and used/endorsed by several world class leading pros and the best thing is...you can tailor this to you level of play.

https://bbzpoker.com/

Thanks for your reply, I have seen this company my my social media feeds a lot - have you used any of their packages? I would be keen to know any specific packages you have used and how they improved game

P

pokernomad

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem in answering the question is we really dont know about you and what you know. Your wining after 10K hands but 10K is not a lot of hands to really have an idea if your a winning player at that level or not. You need to do this to 50 or really even 100K hands to know.

As for tools. You get what you pay for. Using the free version is great to start and see what you think of the tools but there limitations are usually huge.

So you play for fun so far. I like that as that why you got into the game. If its about the money and you dont envoy it its becomes works. I play for the fun as well and the love of the game. Don't care how much I win and it helps. Does not mean I dont take it seriously.

As for what I would do might be very different than what you should do. No matter how much you spend will not necessarily help you overall. While I play for fun I am a student of the game. If you are not putting in the time and effort to study and improve no matter what you do it wont help long term. Also the game is always evolving. You will need to never stop learning and studying the game. Mike sexton said it best. No limit holdem, It take a minimum to learn and a lifetime to master.

As for what you should do, I will make this suggestion. Sit down and really evaluate what you want from the game. Ask your self the really hard questions. If I do this will I be willing to sit for 1/3 of my playing time studying and reviewing the game. Can you be brutally honest with your self? Yes that's a big question. 20 friend can sit there and say it was bad luck but can you honestly review the hand and admit you really did not play that hand well? I meant what I said, can you be brutally honest with your self. Are you realistic with your goals? Many people make this type of investment looking to make some real cash but it may take years to really start making money. Are you willing to accept that? Are you willing to accept losses as you learn? Yes losses. As you learn you will make some big mistakes when trying something new. Its a long learning process.

If your really ready and want please feel free to ask me questions and I would be happy to respond.

FYI, what do I meant by brutally? Last live WSOP event before covid we were on the money bubble. I had played well all day to get there. I lost a flip my last hand to be the bubble boy. So why did I not get paid? Many I know say it was just bad luck to lose the flip. I lost the payout because I misplayed a hand 20 minutes earlier is why. My mistake is what cost me not the last hand. Had I not made that error the last hand would not have the way it did. I lost not by luck but by mistake. If you can look at the game this way, you are on your way to something more.

Thanks for your response - I have read Dan Harrington on Online Cash Games and Essential Poker Math - both of which are great base texts, although I worry that Harrington's books are a little dated? (it's 11 years old, but maybe that doesn't matter at micro-stakes level).

I am definitely a rec player but someone that is looking to play at a higher level

My plan is to generate a bank roll that allows me to move up the levels into small stakes, and then beyond (hopefully) and I am aware of variance, the ups/downs and the analysis required (thanks PT4!) but I know there is always more to learn.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
BBZ Poker

Thanks for your reply, I have seen this company my my social media feeds a lot - have you used any of their packages? I would be keen to know any specific packages you have used and how they improved game

BBZ as a resource is very much a series of packages set up to tailor your needs so how they have improved my game and how they may help you will vary as we will have different styles and ability levels.

However - to answer your question, the specific packages i have found to be of benefit are:

https://bbzpoker.com/product/jon-apestyles-van-fleet-webinar-bundle/ - $99.99

https://bbzpoker.com/product/implementing-quantitative-strategies-defending-flops/ - $9.99

The apestyles bundle is particularly relevant to micro stakes level and really helped me but again, this is my opinion and not a recommendation for you - explore and see for yourself.
Also - check out the discord channel for BBZ.

Best Wishes

Glenn

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How to spend a budget (like $500) on poker depends on where you are at in ability right now. If completely new to poker, then some of that money may be invested in poker courses, learning fundamentals etc.

If a much more experienced player, then perhaps some of that money will go to private coaching or keep more in reserve for a higher bankroll.

Personally, I've gotten results I'm happy with with spending very little. There is a myriad of good poker content and resources out there which are free or very inexpensive.

I'd probably spend some money on poker books, invest in HUD or poker tracking software and probably use the rest as my bankroll :)

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Thanks for your response - I have read Dan Harrington on Online Cash Games and Essential Poker Math - both of which are great base texts, although I worry that Harrington's books are a little dated? (it's 11 years old, but maybe that doesn't matter at micro-stakes level).

I am definitely a rec player but someone that is looking to play at a higher level

My plan is to generate a bank roll that allows me to move up the levels into small stakes, and then beyond (hopefully) and I am aware of variance, the ups/downs and the analysis required (thanks PT4!) but I know there is always more to learn.

" but I know there is always more to learn" and you will never know it all and stop learning. That's what I love about this game. Essential poker math is a great book and its good you've read it. Harrington on holdem is not a book I would recommend. I have not read the cash on but the 3 on tournaments I have. They are dated in my opinion. There good for starting out but it you want to move on I thing there is much better..

Just so you know I do play cash but really dont like it. I am a tournament player. SO from what you said and where you want to go I would not necessarily spend the money to fast but you can it you want. There are many site that could help you. They have there good and bad points but many people who I have know have not gotten as much Value as they should. One friend i know spent 3 months on one of the big site and loved it but never really improved. He watched over 100+ videos but never really studied them. He will complain it was not worth it today. If you go this route you need to know its not about watching but slowly studying them and applying them to your game. If you watch a 1 1/2 hour video it should really take 4 or 5 hours to go through. When they explain something writing down notes is huge. Also stopping and looking at a hand from PT4 would be smart as well. Once I am done with a video I go through hands while reviewing my play and seeing what I could adjust in my play or look for mistakes. I heard one Pro say you should spend a minimum of 2 weeks on just one video watching and re-watching and review of your play. You should really keep on this until you have successfully adapted your game. When working on my game 2 years ago i spent 2 months adjusting a part of my game. There lies the issue with this way, paying 50 or 100 a month and taking so much time to go through just one looks crazy but its the best way.

One person suggested something like BBZ. I dont know them but having small modals could be a good and cheep way. If its like he showed and 99 for a modual at least you know your cost straight away and can take your time.

So you seem to have done well learning on your own. There are a lot of great books out there and you can pick and get one as deep as you may like. Modern Poker Theory by Michael Acevedo is a great one. Some people will say you should not worry about GTO and they have a point but its not about learning and doing what GTO says. Its about understanding the theory behind it.

My suggestion would be to 1st study on my own. The course we have here is really good. There is also a lot of free information on there from just how to study to theory and then there are books. Once you have gone through this information they you can spend the money to grow unless your already there. To take the $500 at this time at the level your playing is good but to take the info that's out there 1st and then jumping into bigger might be better. Why pay them for what you can learn now at a cheaper cost.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
It's hard to give you advice without actually knowing anything about you or your game. But in any case, you did the right thing by becoming a member of our community and asking your question. Several members of our community are professional players and you can ask them your question directly, I'm sure they will help you.
Good luck.

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice. I think its about playing comfortably in any game and that practice makes perfect is 1 of the most important things to me when I started. Play different games 6 man or 9 man and try something different and see how it goes.. good luck

thetaxman1

thetaxman1

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stake a pro and Rail. I know its not like reading a book or installing newest and greatest AI software. You have to have a good understanding of odds and all. To me railing a good player can be a great way to become a great player.

Save your receipts and capitalize them you may need them when the taxman cometh.

ChubbySin

ChubbySin

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends:

Assuming you have an intermediate/basic knowledge:

Playing live? Books about human behavior.
Playing Online? A good tool as PT or HM.

Assuming you are advanced: personal coach.

Regards

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would also suggest looking at hand histories and reviewing those, you can also get others to look at specific hands for you and also use the poker tools available to check if your play was optimum.

P

pokernomad

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BBZ as a resource is very much a series of packages set up to tailor your needs so how they have improved my game and how they may help you will vary as we will have different styles and ability levels.

However - to answer your question, the specific packages i have found to be of benefit are:

https://bbzpoker.com/product/jon-apestyles-van-fleet-webinar-bundle/ - $99.99

https://bbzpoker.com/product/implementing-quantitative-strategies-defending-flops/ - $9.99

The apestyles bundle is particularly relevant to micro stakes level and really helped me but again, this is my opinion and not a recommendation for you - explore and see for yourself.
Also - check out the discord channel for BBZ.

Best Wishes

Glenn

Thanks for this, I have had a look and I think there are some interesting packages that I will take a look at - thanks for the tip!

P

pokernomad

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
" but I know there is always more to learn" and you will never know it all and stop learning. That's what I love about this game. Essential poker math is a great book and its good you've read it. Harrington on holdem is not a book I would recommend. I have not read the cash on but the 3 on tournaments I have. They are dated in my opinion. There good for starting out but it you want to move on I thing there is much better..

Just so you know I do play cash but really dont like it. I am a tournament player. SO from what you said and where you want to go I would not necessarily spend the money to fast but you can it you want. There are many site that could help you. They have there good and bad points but many people who I have know have not gotten as much Value as they should. One friend i know spent 3 months on one of the big site and loved it but never really improved. He watched over 100+ videos but never really studied them. He will complain it was not worth it today. If you go this route you need to know its not about watching but slowly studying them and applying them to your game. If you watch a 1 1/2 hour video it should really take 4 or 5 hours to go through. When they explain something writing down notes is huge. Also stopping and looking at a hand from PT4 would be smart as well. Once I am done with a video I go through hands while reviewing my play and seeing what I could adjust in my play or look for mistakes. I heard one Pro say you should spend a minimum of 2 weeks on just one video watching and re-watching and review of your play. You should really keep on this until you have successfully adapted your game. When working on my game 2 years ago i spent 2 months adjusting a part of my game. There lies the issue with this way, paying 50 or 100 a month and taking so much time to go through just one looks crazy but its the best way.

One person suggested something like BBZ. I dont know them but having small modals could be a good and cheep way. If its like he showed and 99 for a modual at least you know your cost straight away and can take your time.

So you seem to have done well learning on your own. There are a lot of great books out there and you can pick and get one as deep as you may like. Modern Poker Theory by Michael Acevedo is a great one. Some people will say you should not worry about GTO and they have a point but its not about learning and doing what GTO says. Its about understanding the theory behind it.

My suggestion would be to 1st study on my own. The course we have here is really good. There is also a lot of free information on there from just how to study to theory and then there are books. Once you have gone through this information they you can spend the money to grow unless your already there. To take the $500 at this time at the level your playing is good but to take the info that's out there 1st and then jumping into bigger might be better. Why pay them for what you can learn now at a cheaper cost.

Thanks for the suggestion of Modern Poker Theory by Michael Acevedo - I will check it out - I have been lightly skimming (ha!) Applications of No-Limit Holdem by Matthew Janda which I believe is on the same topic? Let me know your thoughts on this if you have read it

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With $ 500, I would hire a coach for different aspects of the game. For example, heads-up, push-fold, analysis of the base played over the entire time to find out possible problems.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are currently playing 5NL, and have only played 10k hands, then the best way to spend 500$ is to deposit it to a poker site, move up to 10NL and then play at least another 50k hands. Studying is all well and good, but you cant learn poker without playing it. If I am to recommend one additional piece of software for a microstakes cash game player, then I would spend 100$ on a 1-year subscription for PokerSnowie.

Its all well and good with advanced training sites. But if you only study and dont play, you will become very good at talking about poker but not at actually playing it against real people. Even worse the training sites are usually aimed at high stakes games, so you might even risk end up leveling yourself against opponents, who are just not thinking on that level. Check-raising the river as a bluff on A7699 with 76, because you block some full houses, wont do any good, if the opponent is going to snap call with A4, because "LOL I have two pair".

P

pokernomad

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are currently playing 5NL, and have only played 10k hands, then the best way to spend 500$ is to deposit it to a poker site, move up to 10NL and then play at least another 50k hands. Studying is all well and good, but you cant learn poker without playing it. If I am to recommend one additional piece of software for a microstakes cash game player, then I would spend 100$ on a 1-year subscription for PokerSnowie.

Its all well and good with advanced training sites. But if you only study and dont play, you will become very good at talking about poker but not at actually playing it against real people. Even worse the training sites are usually aimed at high stakes games, so you might even risk end up leveling yourself against opponents, who are just not thinking on that level. Check-raising the river as a bluff on A7699 with 76, because you block some full houses, wont do any good, if the opponent is going to snap call with A4, because "LOL I have two pair".

Thanks for the reply - I think this is a really good point - I am never sure about what aspects of theory I should take into a game at this level as it's so low, other players are not thinking in the same ways (you can't bluff idiots yeah?) - and the idea that training sites are aimed at higher stakes makes a lot of sense

Top 10 Games