Your Three Poker Truths

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you could go back in time to when you were first starting to learn poker what three "poker truths" would you tell yourself?

These are the top three poker strategies or knowledge that you have learned to be absolutely true from all your experience playing and learning the game now.

I will start:

1. Always trust the process and ignore your short term results.

2. Work ethic and discipline are what separate the pros from the amateurs.

3. Never think you know it all, because you don't.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started playing poker about 4 years ago and I had no idea how important it was to be patient. For the first two years, my poker game was like blackjack. Now I understand how, through patience, I can improve my skills and gain valuable experience.

DMAlv7

DMAlv7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1: Position
2: Aces
3: Read the books by BlackRain (honestly), as they helped me achieve in a week what I had been fighting for nearly 2 years.

(4): Evan Jarvis vids about tilt also helped.

(5): Start at #3.

The last 2 helped, all for different reasons but #3 seemed to explain things in a way I understood better than any I had read before..

P

PrinceJigger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) Take careful notes on your opponents because you will probably run into them again.

2) Spend time away from the tables studying poker and reviewing your hands.

3) Manage your bankroll wisely and practise smart game selection.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1,Not losing money that you can not afford to lose is very important.
2,Fight tooth and nail for every dollar and dime every game also play freerolls and pay attention to special promotions.
3,Make that withdraw button your friend it is ok to quit behind and specially ahead.

alexand8r

alexand8r

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh, this is a really interesting thread!

1. Never play there where the outcome of an event depends on luck more than on your skills.

2. You won’t be able to win every game, but strive to win 30% of games played.

3. Learn all the nuances and analysis of playing freerolls before participating in paid tournaments. The skill of playing and concentrating in chess is to come in handy.

J

jorgetorres0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1-be disciplined about all things 2- You have to be mentally as strong as possible 3- Always check your hands so that you learn from your mistakes

Aremaz95

Aremaz95

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1) Be patient not all hands are won. 2) learn to fold KK and AA much more if you are in the bubble it can be a deceptive trap. 3) Remember that the variance exists and no hand is invisible at first, if you are smart you will know when to fold or go for everything with your pair of 22

jeanpierre1279

jeanpierre1279

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I have three thoughts about poker, not truths that I believe no one has:

1- Be patient, there will always be good spots in the game, which you may miss, but the chances of occurring will decrease a lot in them.

2- Always analyze your villains: I prefer to do it in person because I make notes bigger than HUDS but you have to be able to extract good information from them, I think this is even more important than the technique used when playing a hand.

3- Play with pretensions according to your bankroll and do not look at the lobby to see what position you are (perhaps in the interval) better to take care of growing your chips.

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
1. Sits down to play with a good mood and patience.
2. play on cards, do not be afraid to lose
3. believe in luck:)

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. Patience and discipline are essential for poker success
2. Bankroll management, always always follow the bankroll management
3. Learn to accept the bad beats and do not tilt

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i play mtts, so these are focused towards that and they're what i remind myself on occasion.

1. don't waste your time, focus, and energy on things that don't matter and won't help you improve your game.

2. understand that you're going bust out of mtts a lot. the top profitable mtt players have an itm of 10-20%, so your 15 game downswing is nothing.

3. if you want to win mtts, you have to be willing to lose. and sometimes you have to be willing to lose in big spots with big hands, while still maintaining focus and not letting short term variance affect you from reaching your goal.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh, this is a really interesting thread!

I like this thread too, but as someone basically just starting out: I don't have 3 things to contribute, so I just read everyone else's.

One thing that helped me though is the realization that I don't have to be in a lot of pots. The "tight is right" is a good concept. I probably see myself as a LAG player, but it only takes a little nudge to push me into maniac territory, so sometimes I have to remind myself to tighten up a bit.

Reminds me of Daniel Negreanu (imitating a hispanic accent), "sit back and play tranquilo." (Spanish word for "calm" or "tranquil") Basically, stay alert for winning spots: but you seldom need to force them.

leoronin

leoronin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my three poker truths
#1 never play with money your not willing or can afford to lose
#2 no matter how good you are luck is a huge part of it
#3 never play with emotions or drunk or both