Chips
Do you think you can live off poker?

G

grari

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes. many people do it. Will you become rich? Not unless you get very lucky and win some very big tournaments, and even then most of the time the players that win those are staked and only get a portion of the money. You will not be leading an easy lifestyle.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can you make a living from poker?

I can do it if: I set a goal, I stick to the game plan, I analyze my game and the game of my opponents, I follow bankroll management.

CBETKA

CBETKA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some people make good money in poker and live off it. I'm not in any danger of that. since I do not set myself such a goal.

adoadoado76

adoadoado76

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:)

I don't know in my life such people are not known to live from poker, for me this is more fun socializing:)

A

Aguna

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think yes, that you can make money, and there are examples of players for that.

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't because I'm not good enough but lots of people can and do.

Sschafell

Sschafell

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
yes, it is possible but it is not easy.

D

Daen27

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have a starting bankroll and the opportunity to play poker, then yes, everything is possible) Otherwise, an ordinary person has a better job and poker will be like additional income

TPA

TPA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should always search for soft games. Then its not that hard.

If you want to compete against solid opponents, you should put at least 1 year into studying on regular basis + playing a lot. If you do not give up, you will see big improvements with time and be able to compete with the best.

D

drakongad

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
rarely is anyone able to live off the game of poker

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I definetly can't haha

D

DIANTA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, but only by making large investments (training and finance, self-discipline and developed thinking, full-time business approach). It seems to me much easier, for example, to buy an apartment and rent it out. Play poker for a fun/pleasure and random "jackpot".

S

screamingmidget

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've got a large social media following (3+ million), so I get to play poker all day.. and it's feckin depressing! I earn a lot more from online businesses than poker and I do alright. Currently a 17% tournament win and that includes me playing for fun when I'm drinking at the weekend.

So many people get lucky and you bring another group of people around, THEY, then get lucky. Even playing the correct odds, you lose. I think it's more about playing people physically. Your presence and cred can go a long way, but online that doesn't apply.

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have a much better chance at live poker. Online is much tougher. But either way you have to work has hard as any other job to make a living, if not harder. There's no easy money. If there was everyone would be making it.

HeshamTwix

HeshamTwix

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
EG
Chips
Look, if you good at poker, you could do it by winning some good amount of dollars then you can make withdrawal and investment of the acquired amount in something that will make you have a stable income, then you can play poker whanever you want.

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I don't think I can live solely on poker, it is a great responsibility to do so. Personally, I prefer to see it as a way to earn extra money

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
You can't make a living from poker if you play poker for less than $ 10. This is fun.

E

Elfina777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can earn a living with poker, I know one person who has not worked anywhere for 10 years, but earns a living from poker, he earns $ 50-60 a day, he has enough for a living.

kucu2014

kucu2014

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can make money from poker. But I think it’s impossible to make a profit every month. But this is just my opinion

MURDACK

MURDACK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Although I enjoy the game I can't make this for living because I'm not good enough... I would love to make this my life but is a hobby for me.

But must be stressful to be a professional player... Specifically in big stacks like Daniel, Hellmuth and others

W

woodeng

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a bit like sports -- few people have that talent and skill to make a living as a professional athlete . . . The difference between sports and poker is an athlete does not win with 'luck', he needs to be skillful to win, but a poker player many times will use luck and not realize he has won with luck as opposed to skill. I think Phil Ivey said it best when he was compared to Tiger Woods by a journalist and he quickly corrected the journalist being much more articulate than me. So the answer to your question is no I don't think a lot of people can make a living at poker . . .

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
Yes, of course I am totally convinced that if you can make a living from poker ... and that you don't need to be a genius to achieve it ... but if a very disciplined person ... who has emotions under control ... I mean to become in a tympanum of ice ... and be very persevering ...
of course putting all this together at the same time is not easy ...!

H

Houdini9

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not impossible. But I think you have to have cash game capability for some consistency. I remember one player I met online and after he won about $110K in a wsop event, he decided to turn pro. He played a few WPT games (yes $10K buy ins) and kept playing online. He said the caliber of competition was shocking. It was nothing like he expected. It was stressful and he lost most of what he won playing professionally. He did not play much cash. He was a MTT player and did not last long in his new career.

My brother tried playing cash games pro before he was ready and lost about $20K at high stakes. His career was over in weeks.

If you are going to try to grind, remember this. If what you enjoy so much as a hobby is what you would like to make your career, then you will eventually not love the game like you do today if you do make it a profitable career. It becomes work. In my mind, you still lose if you win.

So now to answer your question. No.

GL GL,

HOUDINI9