You cant reason with idiots

S

stuventus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How often to you experience something like this.

You are playing a small tourney, just for a few dollars / pounds. When some eegit starts moaning about "donk calls". Getting annoyed about being called by A2 when he has AK (if the A2 wins).

I was chatting to two of these pillocks. I asked if they would stand more chance of winning if Brunson, Ivey et al were playing in the tourney. They said yes, it would be easier because good players do not make "donk calls".

They actually said that they would win more against better players than bad ones.

They just cant understand that we want "donk calls" because as long as we play better, the AK will be the long term winner.

I know i shouldnt get involved / educate them, but the sheer stupidity of these people really grates on me.

Dogfish44

Dogfish44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I sympathise...

Something similar happened to me recently, I think it was Cake Poker or UltimateBet I was playing on at the time.

It was early on in the $50 Freeroll event and there was a one guy going all in on every hand, making it rather a tedious game. Obviously the better players were folding, although there were always 1 or 2 players at the table that would chance their arm.

After about 6 hands of this one idiot going all in, sometimes winning lots, sometimes losing lots, I had had enough of the tourney in general. I get dealt 23c and push all-in on the bluff... he calls with AK and someone else calls with AQ... the cards were turned over and to cut a long story short, I nailed the flush and knocked him out

The chat box then turned blue for the next five minutes as I was told;

"fu" ... I can only imagine what that stands for!

and

"f**kin idiot" ... I know what that means!!

I can't imagine why, as far as I'm concerned, 'he who lives by the sword, dies by the sword'

If idiots are going to make wreckless all-in calls, early on in a tournament, then they should expect the harsh concequences when beaten. I thought the wide variety of hand possibilities is what makes poker, Poker!

It just goes to show that these types of players have watched a training vid and then EXPECT the AA, AK, KK etc. to win automatically, just because it's advised that the value of the card is more important than the suits. They have not considered the range of hands that can easily beat 3 of a kind!

Although, when playing in a $50 freeroll on Carbon yesterday, I encountered a similar thing again. Early stages of the tourny... I manage to amass about 3K in chips and then get transfered to a different table. There's one guy at the new table, with 6K, whilst everyone else is in the region of 900-1200chips. He the proceeds to go all-in for EVERY hand, regardless of what he's holding.

It was impossible to bet, every call or raise was met with an all-in response. I got bored and went all in with a KQs only to be caught the one time he had a decent hand with AA!!!

I'm not bitter or twisted about it, I just hope I don't meet the likes of them at a poker table in the future....

jolubman

jolubman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The title of this thread is 100% acurate. Plus according to the idiots no matter what you do is wrong. Go figure.

mattzan

mattzan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very good threat...
I understand that donk calls sometimes (when u lose) it's awful, u wanna kill the guy and start the name calling, but I always remember that I have won a lot of money because of these donkies.
I think that is just a matter of time to these guys realize that donkies are very good at your table.

T

ted80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
...i'll add. 1 or 2 donkies at the table is good. if you're in a tourney and 3 are donkies and and the rest are extremely fishy at your table....then welcome to the luckbox

begley01

begley01

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the long term you want to play donks, but in short team they can be very frusrating. I had one 4x bet me preflop with k-10 offsuit and win. Others Chase gutshots and hit and when they hit ace rag two pair on the river for the win. This all happened in a hour seasion today. Playing donks can be ultimatly be frusrating but we all forget the times when they double us with top pair no kicker. Good players will beat you more, but you wont feel bad how you lose :).

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just remember what Dutch Boyd said.
Poker is a lot like sex. Everyone thinks they're the best but most people don't know what they're doing.

lektrikguy

lektrikguy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was chatting to two of these pillocks. I asked if they would stand more chance of winning if Brunson, Ivey et al were playing in the tourney. They said yes, it would be easier because good players do not make "donk calls".

Yeah...right. That's why so many of these morons knock them out of tournaments. Joe Fish heads up with Phil Ivey. Would love to see that.

D

Donkus Maximus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would resist the urge to criticize such players. These are exactly the kind of player you want to meet time and time again in a cash game situation. Don't spoil it by alerting them to their mistakes.

icecold24k

icecold24k

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This happens a lot especially at the limits I'm currently at. They act like its ok for them to make stupid calls, bets, and raises but when you draw out on them the fireworks begin. Even if you came in with a better hand to begin with they will still try and criticize your play.

J

Jarod1231

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You dont want to play against maniacs, you want to play against loose passive players

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would resist the urge to criticize such players. These are exactly the kind of player you want to meet time and time again in a cash game situation. Don't spoil it by alerting them to their mistakes.

I concur. :)

flint

flint

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This one of those instances why the disable chat was concieved. Online I think that any chat that doesn't help your play is useless. Of course this chat can have some entertainment value if the tournament is boring, but not much else. And of course a lot of people think they can hang with the pros, but a lot of them would be in big toruble.

File this under the same tab as people complaining that they have a lot of bad beats when they should be joyful for the other 80 times the hand held up.

I guess at the end it is just about not caring about anyhting else than making the right moves and doing what is profitable.

mets40

mets40

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In that situation, with patience I'll fold everything but the premium hands. A few times I'll still lose, but the odds are with me. Patience is the key.

regd87

regd87

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of the time I don't use chat box.

J

jduk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the key to this is to know your opponents.

I play weekly in a sit down league - probably 50% of the regulars are at least half descent players ; 25% have very little understanding of the game and play for fun and another 25% are very good.

If I go into a pot I assess who Im up against, if they are the better players who I know understand poker and have been watching me fold all night, I bet big to get them to fold out if I reckon Im ahead but could be out drawn. They understand pot odds and I can bet out enough to win.

On the otherhand if Im up against the weaker players, I limit the risk. I know that someone of them will call my all in with a drawing hand and Im out the tournie if they hit their draw. So I bet less into them so that I reduce the risk of being knocked out by a bad beat.

Ok, so maybe I could have won more on those individual hands but given their loose play, I still win more than I loose against them and reduce the risk to my own stack.

Those times they do get lucky, I know Im hopefully still in the game and the next all in they call will probably double me up and get me back into the game.

The real problem I find is when you are up against good and bad players in the same hand. Do you play to the better ones to get them off the hand? Or do you exercise a little caution at the risk of letting the better players draw the card they need?

Depends on my stack - If Im up on the table, I'll play to the better ones and risk the hit. If Im down on my stack then Im either out or all in!

Since I play against the same 20 odd guys each week, I know how they play - online isnt much different as paying attension to their bets soon gives you the idea who to watch out for as loose cannons and who is tight etc

Thoughts?

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I concur. :)

I concurry (read eggs post again). Dont tap the tank idiot!! Tilters and steamers r cool... Full moon coming.... Dont let them get to u... do the opposite... 001001111

Attachments

• yoshitoshi-moon-hotei.jpg
    yoshitoshi-moon-hotei.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 14
trewtrew

trewtrew

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when idiots or donks are needling or moaning in the chat box u should just ignore it completely. They want a reaction from u so they can provoke an arguement where they hope to make themselves look smart. By ignoring them they get bored and just stop eventually or get knocked out the tournament and if they hang around after they bust to moan, then i think we all know who the real loser is.....

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One more thing:

Attachments

• 4150420060804.gif
    4150420060804.gif
    106.1 KB · Views: 14
dresturn2

dresturn2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lmao...i love that little cartoon....the people who hate getting calls by hands that they dominate are plain dumb....

TJ Cookier

TJ Cookier

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These are the same people who say but how much did you loose when you tell them your up 50k from online poker.

ukaliks

ukaliks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i go by the rule: Dont tap on the glass" too.

But i realy cant help it but chat sum sh!t abuse in the chat box to let off steam. plus who cares? Not like there gonna find me n hurt me. Been givin ppl aubse over the internet for years like playing CounterStrike, i'd get my mic out and start annoyin ppl. Its so much fun.

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm unsure how they expect to beat the pro's if they don't get them to put it in with the worst hand...