Are you a fish?

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know the term is sometimes offensive. But there is nothing wrong with it. Nobody is born knowing how to play poker. It doesn't bother me to admit it, I'm a fish. And I study every day to stop being it. But if you ask a little it seems that most of the players are sharks, they know exactly what they are doing and how to optimally play all kinds of boards. I have no doubt that there are many sharks in the sea of ​​cardschat. And you? Are you one of them or, like me, are you a little sardine trying to grow?

PokStorm

PokStorm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is barely 4 months since I started to play and yes I feel like a little fish among all these sharks. But I hope that over time the little fish will gain size and who knows, one day it will surely start to eat others. :rolleyes:

christmasscorpion

christmasscorpion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for every strong player there is a stronger player and a weaker player I consider myself to be in the middle class

KasyakoFF

KasyakoFF

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
haha !! I'm a little sardine too)) and now my place in the tournament depends more on luck than on skill! but I try to look for new burrows to get away from the shark!

O

olesyafarion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
:D :D :D Perhaps, Yes! There was a time when on the poker statistics website I had an icon next to my name - a fish was splashing. It was frustrating and annoying. Then, when I started winning something sometimes, the badge disappeared. This is a good sign :D

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As usual the answer is... It depends.
Mainly based on the table someone sits.
Of course anyone who doesn't have any idea of theory is a fish, but I suppose the question goes for the rest <10%.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not a shark,but I'm not a fish either...Sardine, as you say...

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I do not consider myself a fish, but still, compared to more experienced players, I consider myself a beginner. I have been playing for about three years, but I understand that I need to learn and improve my game for many more years.

F

Freepokerfree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all!

At times I am a fish, at times I am a shark and at other times a dolphin hahaha :D, it is according to how I feel, the perception of me can change. Then there are the statistics that express your game in a period of time, those are more real!
We are all learning, greetings! thanks

:ah4::ac4: Natural Heart

EmiTou

EmiTou

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Although I am continuously in a stage of learning and growth, there are moments of the tournament that I behave like a fish but there are moments of the tournament when I also behave like a shark, it is not easy to apply everything that is learned and at the same time As long as I have been advancing in the tournament, I understand that I am facing better players and that is where they make me act like a fish.

Pindiez

Pindiez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that it´s depends of the table that you are playing. In a cash NL2 table I am not a fish, but in a NL5000 cash table I am the big fish :D:D:D:D:D

Sorry for my english :)

MauroMMMM

MauroMMMM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know the term is sometimes offensive. But there is nothing wrong with it. Nobody is born knowing how to play poker. It doesn't bother me to admit it, I'm a fish. And I study every day to stop being it. But if you ask a little it seems that most of the players are sharks, they know exactly what they are doing and how to optimally play all kinds of boards. I have no doubt that there are many sharks in the sea of ​​cardschat. And you? Are you one of them or, like me, are you a little sardine trying to grow?
LOL. I liked being a sardine, I felt totally identified. I'd say I'm a little clownfish, who lost Nemo a while ago. It depends on the days, I almost always sit down and am a fish. I don't mind admitting it, for me poker is a hobby, I don't intend to earn a million dollars with this, although it would not be a bad idea ...:cool::cool:

M

Movi84

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i\m a fish, playing with charts open by side to know which hands to open, rise and fold :))
but ill get bigger in the future

Maxmustdie

Maxmustdie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my schedule says i'm a fish

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hey
I am confused, pardon my ignorance.
from what I know a Fish is someone who chases a hand till the river.
I know a lot of players do that, entering a hand with a suited hand, hitting the 4 flush and then betting till the river to make that hand.
A lot of such players dont really make it in the final table.
If thats not a Fish what is???
please enlighten me...:icon_shak:icon_shak:icon_shak:icon_shak:sheep::sheep::sheep::sheep:

D

damas13251

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
tbh its depends on a day and i know thats but but im working on it

F

fezjones

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when i fold the best hand i feel like a bad player

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree, initially everyone is a fish. Not many people recognize this, and that is why fish remain. You’re already taking the hardest step, admitting that your game isn’t perfect, and you’re trying to improve on it. This is not typical of fish!

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I congratulate you for your ability to be critical of yourself. As a 5 year CardsChat member I wouldn't expect anyone to label themselves a fish. Perhaps you're being modest, perhaps you're being honest, but the willingness to recognize the need for growth, the ability to see strengths in our opponents, and the ability be honest about our results is KEY to growth and the feasibility of attaining continued or future success. Many players never take much time to read or study and claim through only experience to be superior to other fish. They may or may not be correct, as some players can do quite well in their player pool without much off the table study.

To answer your question personally, I'll agree with some of the other posts and say that it depends. In my humble opinion, at most average live 1/2 games in the US I would consider myself one of the sharks. Not that I would be the best player at the table but I usually feel like I'm able to quickly recognize who is who and adjust accordingly to be successful. Obviously this still doesn't guarantee any single session will be a success. I have also been at tough 2/5 tables where I feel like I'm one of the fish. I'm probably also a fish at 5/10 games and larger. Similarly, just because you're "a fish" doesn't make you the worst player at the table or guarantee you will lose the session. It just means that it appears as though you are making more mistakes or -EV plays than most of the other players at the table. I think game variations and modalities also come into play. For example I never really played online cash games (tiny sample pre Black Friday) before November 2019, and after over a decade of live poker and considering myself more of a shark than a fish at live 1/2 I was quite humbled by 2NL. After 1,500 hands of online 2NL I was down 5 buy ins. I was a fish, it was supremely humbling. I felt embarrassed. I was making large mistakes that cost me tons of EV at the lowest online NLHE game I could find. I was eventually able to adjust and after 6,560 hands total, not only had I won back those 5 buy ins to get even, but I had also won an additional 19+ buy ins. Was I now a shark? It's impossible to know with such a small sample but probably not. But the chances that I was still a fish on a heater were also fairly small. As I continue to try to move up in stakes I do not consider myself a fish in the online games I currently play (100NL) but that is only in comparison to my player pool. If I was on a different site with stronger players I may indeed be a fish even at 50NL for example, it's all relative to your competition. The same sort of contrast can be drawn for situational play. Some players are particularly weak at short stacked play, or deep stacked play, or a particular format such as full ring vs short handed, or an MTT vs cash.

The important part, as you've already done. Is to be able to recognize your need for growth and be able to responsibly continue. Whether that means, moving down to an easier game or switching player pools, studying more, playing less, continuing to lose at a manageable rate as long as you're having fun, or quitting altogether.

Last edited:
J

jkersten

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
after 10 years of playing still. fish

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that at some point we are all a fish.
However, there are players who stay longer and others stay less jajaja

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Haha, I have been playing poker for so many years that I don't keep track, and I'm still a fish. Unless you are playing to make a living, then there is nothing wrong with being a fish.

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd answer that question, if I could get this hook out of my lip.

S

some39thing

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was once a shark. Now I'm a little fishy. Any day now I will take it seriously though