Would you play differently, if somebody would watch you?

NightStalker

NightStalker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I would play the same way.

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Would you fold more/less or play more rational?
Wow, this is a very complex issue. it depends a lot on who was watching me, whether online or live, type of interaction.
I believe that my actions would not change much, because today I have a greater command of the game.

W

whyfold that

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nope i play the same either way

P86

P86

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes I yend to do less stupid things when someone i know is railing which is weird in my opinion...

J

JonasUMP

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting. I was always wondering how the players on TV actually play off camera

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
no , i don't chance my game , never ...it is my decision how to play hands

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
No, it didn't affect my decision making. My poker skill is what it is, it doesn't change if somebody is watching heh

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Would you fold more/less or play more rational?
Hello, I think that I would probably play more careful if someone watched my game! It seems to me that everyone will play more careful if it will be someone to watch from his game, you will just feel a certain responsibility! But this is a pure opinion! I wish everyone good!

CriesuaID

CriesuaID

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably yes, I do a lot of stupid moves and I would take more care to play the "correct poker" is someone is watching me.

M

Medina

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I specifically don’t like being watched while playing. Yes, i definitely play differently. Thinking about your question, I play much more cautiously, with restraint. I fold a lot more and play less aggressively
I definitely need to pay attention to that in the future :)

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
An audience watching your play is sort of cool, but I don't think it changes how I play. I could understand if some people get more nervous when the spotlight is on them, but it doesn't really impact me either way; probably because my competitive days with golf. Ask even a recreational golfer how they play when no one is watching versus when some random golfers are watching you tee off :D

For those unaware, almost always, people crack under the pseudo-pressure of people watching them play; even good golfers. It doesn't matter if the "audience" are random golfers, maintenance workers, or a "real" crowd at a tournament. I've always done just as well with players watching me, but I think my tournament experience and competitive background with golf is a big "training" tool which helped me overcome this.

I can imagine how playing poker is similar where some play worse when with an audience (pressure, or ego to impress perhaps?), but just like golf, probably the most experienced poker players aren't really fazed when there is a spectating crowd. :cool:

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I want to say I would play the same but would most likely play more tight and not do anything that makes little sense. But I’m not sure if thats a good thing or not.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I think I would play more conservatively, but I really don't like to have someone watching me playing.

W

wpilson70

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What value would you gain from watching people play freerolls?

All I ever see on this forum is freeroll this freeroll that.

At least I don’t see as much of the Kool Aid where everyone says CC rolls are way better than shitty rolls on other shitty forums. I haven’t seen that in a couple weeks…..people may finally be wising up and that is good for poker in general…..if a majority of the “350,000 plus members” actually play online……

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not really, would play the same way.

W

WJMKAM

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hard to say. I am not consistent enough to know. What may look like a stupid play can be an incredible bluff. I play better when I remind myself to be more conservative.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sticking with my game..

If someone is watching me, I'm still playing for myself, not an audience, or group of followers. It's my game, my decisions, right or wrong. I will play my game, to try to win. If I'm making risky moves, to satisfy my audience, that's just like a TV show, not real poker.

badbanking79

badbanking79

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DK
Chips
I once played by telling my girlfriend exactly what to do, she told me the hands and the raise, flop etc.

That somehow made me make flawless decisions.

A

arsenalcho_1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi

in principle I shouldn't, but knowing that I have to send a tournament I've played to my coach, I'm more careful about what I do, although I make more mistakes even that way.

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Differently. I try to explain the rules and what I do in the different situations. Then the concentration is shared.

T

Tiltmode1987

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol... Idk bro. I guess i would play differently if i were being watched. No one wants to get bluffed or make absurd calls while an audience is watching. If you take yourself seriously as a descent poker player, you obviously dont want to make rookie mistakes for everyone to witness. Idk tho maybe some people just dont care. I wish i could say that i wouldn't care what an audience would think if i were to do so, but i know i personally would be pretty embarrassed to have people watching me play and play terribly.

T

Tiltmode1987

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
63burner... I need to learn to live by what you said. Play for myself. Well said man. Not only in poker but in general as well. I am trying to learn to not worry about wtf other people think. It creates unnecessary stress.

IXIX

IXIX

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I’ve pretty much got my playing style that won’t change with or without someone watching me, it’s just hopefully I can get lucky 🍀 in the right spots and win all flips 👍🏽

Xcoder

Xcoder

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn't necessarily play different if someone was watching me, however knowing/ having somebody talking to you while watching, asking questions etc. Can be extremally distracting and throw off concentration.