Would you play differently, if somebody would watch you?

L

LosJay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would you fold more/less or play more rational?

Johnny78B

Johnny78B

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Yep, usually I play more accurate when somebody watching and cheering for me, it makes me to be more responsible in the game.

T

The Long Shot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tried streaming my play online once, via Twitch, talking through my decisions out loud as I made them.

While I'm 100% certain no one was watching any of it at all, I found the process of explicitly articulating my thoughts very helpful and led to better play and fewer mistakes. Mostly because by speaking aloud I wasn't able to switch into autopilot mode, or make questionable calls 'on a hunch'.

So if no one's watching...pretend someone's watching.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would play the same,,, :) My friends n family love watching me play,,,i'm very vocal and make things exciting and funny,,,everyone says i should Twitch but i havn't the time to do it. :D

DPo320

DPo320

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never had an audience so It's hard to say, but I would guess that I would play more conservative and Safe when someone's watching. I Probably wouldn't take as many chances.

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think playing with a balanced strategy is the good way when playing against good opponents , so you can't be exploited.

Last edited:
D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And why should I play differently if someone is watching my game. I will play my game rationally as always.

Xcoder

Xcoder

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would definitely play differently, the only times I allow someone to watch is when I am teaching them. Other than that I block out everything and focus. People watching is destracting, and if they have input or advice while I'm trying to play it can be frustrating.

L

LosJay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for your answers, sometimes I feel like I'm playing to passive and feel bad, because I know everyone would advise me to call/fold in this situations, when I'm too scared

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No. In fact I turn it into a teaching opportunity.

Rost

Rost

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Whether someone was watching my game or not, I wouldn't play with junk anyway. I'm not trying to create a dramatic effect during the game, I'm just trying to increase my bankroll and that's my main goal. :)

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Somebody always watches us but yes? No?

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its an interesting exercise. Definitely worth giving a try. Many people do it as it can boost up the attention to small details and also not getting into autopilot mode where most of the hands are not mentally filtered anymore.

B

bsamra

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You don’t want to be made a fool watch:

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
During the game I always follow my own rules and principles. I don't care if someone is watching my game. I try to think carefully about my every decision and this is the main thing for me.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

It is called "sweating" and it is a great way to get better at poker. When you have someone sweating you, you will often think just a bit more before acting, and that is often very good. Sweating someone else is also a very valuable practice.

You have someone sweat you so that you can get used to that thought process when playing alone.

As in: (being sweated) "I am in EP with K5o, and I will call just to see what happens.................. Oh,. wait. I will look like an idiot. Why would I do that? No, a terrible play. Nope, I am folding this, jeez, how could I not see that from the get-go...... Thank goodness I did not embarrass myself by calling there. I fold"

(Not being sweated): "I am in EP with K5o, and I will call just to see what happens.... I call"

Yea.....

L

LosJay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is called "sweating" and it is a great way to get better at poker. When you have someone sweating you, you will often think just a bit more before acting, and that is often very good. Sweating someone else is also a very valuable practice.

You have someone sweat you so that you can get used to that thought process when playing alone.

As in: (being sweated) "I am in EP with K5o, and I will call just to see what happens.................. Oh,. wait. I will look like an idiot. Why would I do that? No, a terrible play. Nope, I am folding this, jeez, how could I not see that from the get-go...... Thank goodness I did not embarrass myself by calling there. I fold"

(Not being sweated): "I am in EP with K5o, and I will call just to see what happens.... I call"

Yea.....

Thank you that's a great example and that's what I wanted to hear

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always try to play right no matter what. Any discrepancy from the optimal game leads to undesirable losses.:(

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips

Habit. I don't like anyone watching how I play, and if this happens to me with someone in my family, it just distracts me and my focus.

TulasMoreno

TulasMoreno

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
I think yes, lately i think ive been playing so bad, i need to improve that.

Sulfuros001

Sulfuros001

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When someone is watching you

Yes, I would definitely play with more concentration and excitement when im backed up by a friend or someone is cheering for me. It would add a dose of responsibility on the game. This would make them proud too.