Work or live poker, which is more viable?

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think too much risk a person to quit his job and try a life playing poker, unless she has a sponsor who wants to invest and it is also very good playing.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I think it is very important to have a job that will allow you to feel free financially. Poker can only be a source of additional revenue.
Good luck.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, you can quit your job and become a professional poker player. But in this case, you run the risk of moving from your home to your car. Therefore, such a risk is an individual decision of everyone.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Professional poker players make up a very small percentage of the work force, so yup.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that work and live poker are not compatible. But work and online poker are very well suited. Play online poker is much more profitable than live poker. If you have a normalized 8 hour working day then online poker will be a great addition, of course there is not enough time for big tournaments, but you can play cash for 4 hours, or sit-n-go tournaments, now there are a lot of different fast turbo tournaments in different poker rooms.

pedrovitorcosta

pedrovitorcosta

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe working and playing poker is possible and the best choice ...
As good results in your free time playing poker become commonplace and your income becomes bigger than your job, then maybe this is a good time to quit your job and become a pro.
But that won't end the risks (as they said before, leaving home and moving in your car).

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can do both activities..Poker gives you extra money specially online.

Timmi1015

Timmi1015

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Live poker requires a high level of training in order to recoup the time spent.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its possible to work and play poker, there is no reason to rush to quit work. When you play poker full time it becomes your job.

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
need to have a job, poker is a hobby.

beldin2010

beldin2010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me poker is a hobby and my main source of funds is work, work and work :).

Edgerik

Edgerik

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
There are people who live only from playing poker but you can have a job and also play poker if you are good at playing, you have an extra income.

M

mycannon223

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say keep the job as a base. That way if worse comes to worse you still have the job.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah don't quit your job, not unless you're at minimum wrecking mid-stakes online games regularly. Being good at 10NL or the $11 tournaments isn't enough to make a living on. AllinPav streams probably 4-5 days a week and buys in to maybe $5-8k of tournaments everyday he plays. You need that type of volume to handle the swings and variance and earn enough at the end of the day. With his twitch revenue and other ventures/ads, he probably makes a pretty comfortable living. But for every guy like him there's 1,000 other dudes that weren't good enough, blew their bankroll, and went right back into the workforce. I'll also add, he's been in a pretty harsh downswing over the last few months and has probably lost about $50k during that span. Could be variance, he could be getting slightly worse, or the competition keeps getting way better and he's simply not good enough for the big boy games anymore. Long story short, keep your day job.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
For me, poker is a hobby. And I never thought about quitting my job and making a living with my hobby. In my opinion, the risk is too great.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is hard work, that requires a lot of time and effort. I think it's better to find a job, that will be as compatible as possible with poker. Having a stable income at work, it is possible to control your bankroll depending on earnings.

C

carolyne

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The biggest poker players started playing poker at work, and after earning a bigger sum, they started playing at the professional level.

chilindrodolar

chilindrodolar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Game or study after dinner, pick up the kitchen and hanging clothes. And weekends in all the spare time I have, at night or during the day (I don't see the tele). It is also true that there are weekends that it is impossible for me by family obligations or for sport.
There are days that did not play much but others do. If I am very tired one day as rest and I see some film.In cash if reaching the 20k Hands a month. Now at Spin&go to at the moment is a ruin of volume. But without absurd challenges taking into account my possibilities. But as this is a long-term basis.. so too will arrive when you need to get there.
To poker, we have to add 7-8 to take a break optimal value, and then consolidate family life, friends, sports, etc...

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I think this is possible if you get regular income from the game. It is also important to have enough money to avoid worrying about the results for at least two to three years.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is too risky to quit the job to try to be a professional Poker player, I think I will try at some point to be a professional player but always with a job to be mentally calm in case I fail as a Poker player

M

mpkr10

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely work over live poker. Online poker can be good but you can get in good volume to see if you are a winner after work.

xxxSSSxxx

xxxSSSxxx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without work, you would probably, in one moment of your life, had to borrow money. And in my opinion, that is a too great risk.

elJenio8

elJenio8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I plan to have both in my life, i can really do both if i stop losing money on Roullete or blackjack, that games ruin my profit

I

IanP304

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess this is dependant on the individual and personal circumstances. Myself I treat poker as a hobby and nothing more, I work for a living as I have no choice to provide for family pay mortgage etc. I suppose those with less commitments/dependants to support can perhaps afford to take the risk to play poker for a living however the vast majority cannot no matter how good of a player they are. Again rather dependant on individual circumstance.

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it is better to have a job and in your free time play poker online, if you want to be a professional poker player then you have to read a lot, study hard, play many tables, all this while still having a fixed income, the day you already feel that you are a pro, that one of the big poker brands offers you a contract, and you win your first $ 100k minimum tournament, there I think, you can already dedicate yourself only to play poker. Without effort, there is no success in any area of ​​life ;)

Organize a Home Poker Game