Woman at the Table: Are They Treated Differently?

S

Sourtubbie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The other day on Bet online 5 talky, bratty and foul-mouthed players decided to verbally gang up on me and were so obscene, insulting and demeaning I felt like I'd been gang raped. While that was an unusually awful experience, I have found that players do treat you differently if they know you are a woman.

I play under a couple of names, one is obviously a woman and the other is more generic. Same bet, same situation, they call my raise more often with the women's name.

What's your experience ladies?

Think comparing verbal attacks to being gang raped is a little bit much.
Its insulting to those that have actually gone through such a traumatic event,sure you did not mean to write it that way.

The females dynamic only comes into play if you allow it to,meaning no one knows you are female unless you give them a hint. poker online give you the chance to be anonymous as you want to be and you can choose if you want to imply sex in your screen name.
The issue of men being dogs is nothing new online,take a look at video gamers as another example. Some seem to think it is perfectly alright as long as it is tilting or getting the person to act in a set way. Most sites should ban players that choose to take this line and we would have a far cleaner atmosphere at the table.
The dynamic I notice the most is the location of players that tend to want to seduce or act off base due to the perception of ones sexual identity and its a real sad state for some Countries.
Have always felt that poker is limited due to the treatment of women,new players and the male percentage at the table. You can see how unnerving it is for people sitting down at a table for the first time and this is why poker will never go back to the old days (2005-2006) where there was lots of money being thrown around.
Its not a comfortable place for a lot of people and the idiots that attack people are
unable to see what they are creating optically.

Ignore the chat or close it if you are not into verbal sparring with morons.
Lets face it there are a lot of guys that do not know how to treat/talk to women and they are socially inept.

Mka69

Mka69

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My wife sometimes plays poker. Once I have even thought that at her it better turns out, but alas it is only sports interest. In general I treat neutrally any players in poker. :icon_flow

bizarez

bizarez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I come or sit at the computer to PLAY POKER. Therefore, I do not care - the opponent is a man or a woman, I respect the player, even if he is a fool - if he raises a couple of naked 88 and as a result of winning the hand - lucky. But all show a long distance ... Verbally abuse any opponent - is first of all to sink to the level of an idiot and shit!

Fernanda37

Fernanda37

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my case, its rare I be trated differently, but many women relate this, I dont see so many diference

D

Demagog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For women everywhere should be treated with love and respect, including the poker table. :)

A

austin360

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It doesn't matter man or woman I like the or the same

J

JT1013

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The other day on Bet online 5 talky, bratty and foul-mouthed players decided to verbally gang up on me and were so obscene, insulting and demeaning I felt like I'd been gang raped. While that was an unusually awful experience, I have found that players do treat you differently if they know you are a woman.

I play under a couple of names, one is obviously a woman and the other is more generic. Same bet, same situation, they call my raise more often with the women's name.

Since i'm not a lady I don't know if I should be answering this, so i won't. I'll address it as a Male poker player ( between the ages of 20 & 30 ). I have played with females online and at the table live, tournaments and cash. I have seen woman play exceptionally well, and through my sampling Woman live are very conservative ( unless on an obvious heater ) so it is easy to take advantage of. I am not sure if woman are more risk averse, and want to take less risks therefore leaving them at a disadvantage to players who see that through tells. Keep in mind if you are a timid player, a tight player, or a female...You will face the same tests as every other poker player. You will be forced into bad spots by aggressive players, you will be trapped by tight aggressive players. You need to decide your best move at that time, each hand, separately as an individual decision. Assess what you know about the people you are playing with, play your cards and your position, if people are playing you more aggressively and pushing you off hands because they sense weakness, you will have to open your range and start playing more moderate hands. Unless you want to forfeit every hand that isn't the nuts, you would have success putting aggressive players in sticky situations just like they are doing to you. Poker is a mind game, if they are playing you, play them back.:jd4:

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Sorry to hear about the abuse on the tables but as it has been said before, it will always happen.
The only way to deal with the verbal abuse is to know who you are and who you're not.

So many people nowadays let online verbal abuse upset them so, not realizing that they don't know the person on the other end.

These people don't know you like you know you, so don't let some little online ingrate get to you, he/she doesn't know you.

report and block chat is available on most if not all poker sites.

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is always disturbing when you cant play poker without the haters.

My Wife has played for years and can spot these players a mile away. Her playing out ways any of these uneducated imbeciles self indulged ways of overpowering others with their inappropriate attitudes and takes their money most of the time. She just blocks them nowadays. Btw, Her user name is "Misses MUFFY" so you can just imagine right.

Vadimka2704

Vadimka2704

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You take offense at what they write in the chat?

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The woman behind the Desk always nice to see, unfortunately always underestimate)))

Vadimka2704

Vadimka2704

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The woman behind the Desk always nice to see, unfortunately always underestimate)))
Nobody knows what to expect from you:)

I think that if someone insults in the chat, it is weak in spirit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

I2jr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that no one should be treated badly, but the woman is respected above all things, and you have to try the same way if you sit at a table as if you were a pair of us, the most unfortunate of a man Trying badly to a woman at the table is that the authority of the place was no matter what, and no one beyond losing it should blame someone for it, I sympathize with all women who had a bad experience online online as Offline, we still have to endure so many nasty in these times, I repeat no one should be treated badly and the woman has the same rights in the eyes of God we are all the same

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in mid 2000's I would see this a lot on Full Tilt - both sexists and racist comments that would devolve to a cruel level. I consistently reported it, but I have not seen it on BOL yet (online since March with them).

I like to turn off chat sometimes as it helps me to focus. Especially after long hours of play. I know (more so in the past) players would simply single someone out for no reason and make fun of them probably as a ploy to get them to give up their chips.

I always use generic names when I play and have insinuated I was a woman in the past. Haven't done so lately but I did win, perhaps it was because of the above comments.