Why use the term royal flush and not end it at straight flush for best hand??

M

mp3player

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As a newbie you have to see which type of hand ranks better i just don't know why they would add another term called royal flush... Which is unnecessary why can't they just end it at straight flush (who ever has higher flush wins).
Now that i know how to play it's ok but starting of as a newbie this chart below can be intimidating to remember which was why they should have ended at straight flush.

Poker-hands-sheet.jpg

SopianaeExtra

SopianaeExtra

between my 2 ears
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I wondered that myself. It makes no difference whether to call it this or that, it's just the strongest Straight Flush there can be. Giving it a special term is simply redundant and confusing.

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Hi mp3player,

Royal flush is simply a name/term/label for that hand. You are absolutely right that who ever has the highest straight flush is the winner, and when we are at the table we can all see what is happening.

But having different labels is easier when we talk about things later on. And when someone says that he had a royal flush we all know to what he is referring to.

Who ever came up with that name I do not know...

pocketace222

pocketace222

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's gives it a deeper meaning and as you can actually have a straight flush be beat by the royal flush, rare as ever but I've had one card to a straight flush lose to one card to a higher straight flush so this happens everyday somewhere

Papadejro

Papadejro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's more efficient.
You can just tell "I had royal flush" instead " I had a Ace to ten straight flush".
And it sounds cooler :)

skalibur

skalibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's not very dificult

I don't see much difficulty in this chart since when I started because royal is from 10 to A of the same suit and straight flush h are sequences that go from any sequence of the same suit

P

pockerman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It’s just a name for easy to understand. As example: I have a car. It’s average, but when you say I have Bentley… from one side it gives same info as previous sentence, but from other side it give direct info.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ranking in poker is only for evaluating the strength of a hand at showdown.

skavenger

skavenger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is a historical term, just to gratify those who manage to form a difficult hand, even more difficult.

Full Flush Poker Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands