Why the self-hate internet players? internet players rock!

Merlin333

Merlin333

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why the self-hate internet players? internet players rock!

I just read a blog, one of many I've seen, the purpose of which it seems to me is to "put down" internet poker players. We have all seen commentary about internet players - how bad we are, what luck boxes etc. etc. etc.

I have recently seen commentary from Daniel Negreanu, Chris Ferguson and many other pros that indicates a change of attitude about the quality of internet players. I heard a discussion where, as best I could determine, the complaint of pros was the widespread adaptation of aggressive play which all of the most heralded players used back in the day where it's practictioner's dominated other more popular styles of play- Doyle Brunson talks of this in Super System 2 the other complaint is tournament size.

I responded thusly to the blog:
I wish I was "donkey" enough to win 12 million dollars at poker! This year he,by his own admission and my own observation, played poorly. Last year although he got very, very lucky - with the exception of his infraction of hand discussion rules that no one suprisingly complained about, his play was not that of a donkey.

I often wonder why the internet players are singled out for suspect play (by some pros and suprisingly some internet players) and the professional players make plays similarly suspect nothing is said. I can't imagine what would be said of Varkonyi, MoneyMaker, Raymer, Hachem, Gold or Yang if they won their tournaments by playing
card_Th.gif
card_2c.gif
TWICE to boot!

It's funny, the one thing that everyone who writes poker books agree on is "change gears to match your opponents style" but the main thing they do about internet players consistently winning is wine about tournament size and to "change games" what will they switch to when (if) internet players dominate HORSE - pinochle? - lol

Merlin333
cool.gif

What I always say is "you're better beat 'em"

ps. I've seen a million photos of Doyle holding 10 2 and smiling after having won the WSOP - I have NEVER seen it with such a derisive caption.
I can see a certain self serving element to the argument pros make while making derisive comments about internet players. I might too if, just as holdem became the most popular card game on the planet a bunch of "overnight" interlopers swoop down and snatch up the big cash!. I put it in the same place of the guy I just busted from the button with trip 4's who played
card_Jc.gif
card_Jd.gif
UTG for a min raise who has nothing better to do than namecall and whine in the loser's lounge about my "donkey play" - get over it - play better - you're better than me then win. I have NO sympathy for the "tournament size argument" every internet player is intimately familiar with 2, 3,4, 10 thousand player fields. (Don't give me the faster hands argument either. No matter how many hands per hour, the time taken to win a 10 thousand player tournament you have to beat 10 thousand players). I'd argue it is easier to start big stack, spread the game out over days and slow blind increase. Plus the influx of players because of the internet is the reason for the big payday.

Internet players stop the self-hating. There are a lot of top flight internet players you can go to any site that has pros and see them whacking a pro or two on a daily basis. In the local games I play in (and I'm a newbie) if I'm not whacking the local pros some other internet player is. A lot of us are good and thats the fact Jack - the pros who can't just have to get used to it.

What do you think?

Merlin333
cool.gif

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I wish I was whacking a couple pros everyday :) but I'm sure there are many more pros online and unknown to the majority then there are known pros who play live events. jmo

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've heard the opposite, that there are some amazing online poker players. Brian Townsend comes to mind, he held his own in HSP.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I often wonder why the internet players are singled out for suspect play (by some pros and suprisingly some internet players) and the professional players make plays similarly suspect nothing is said. I can't imagine what would be said of Varkonyi, MoneyMaker, Raymer, Hachem, Gold or Yang if they won their tournaments by playing
card_Th.gif
card_2c.gif
TWICE to boot!

There's nothing suspect about playing T2 heads up, FWIW.

And Hachem won with 7-3 - an even trashier hand, in theory.

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont hate on online players- i hate on online players who feel the are the hottest thing and that they no everyone
it is not online players we hate on , it is those stuck up ppl we hate on

A

Adventurebound2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You don't supose this all came about due to frustrations of internet players basically taking over the Lion's share of major tourney wins from the big names??? How out the fact that most of those names you wrote are pro's that got their start via internet games themselves? The few who didn't start on the internet most cerainly do play online now.

Another thing.... Seems to me there are a lot more Pro's than there are tournaments. TV Advertising....Now that's what's keeping the limelight on making familiar faces!

In defence of the infamous 10 Duece, they were both in heads up play. Heads up play is a whole different thing than full table. Doyle has said many times he thinks those two cards are terrible to play and he normaly won't play 'em.

I have to admit, I did hate an online player last weekend. He busted my pocket Aces with and 84os on the river even though I'd played them hard preflop. My hate only lasted about 15 minutes or so. Got my chips back with plenty of intrest added on plus his empty chair to boot....:D

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to admit, I did hate an online player last weekend. He busted my pocket Aces with and 84os on the river even though I'd played them hard preflop. My hate only lasted about 15 minutes or so. Got my chips back with plenty of intrest added on plus his empty chair to boot....:D

Was he doing the CC scavenger hunt? That would explain the 84o :)

Merlin333

Merlin333

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont hate on online players- i hate on online players who feel the are the hottest thing and that they no everyone
it is not online players we hate on , it is those stuck up ppl we hate on

Clearly every one hates arrogant, clueless, name calling idiots, what ever their hobby or profession. I am referring to what used to be and is now somewhat less, the train of thought verbalized by some pro's that internet players can't play - clearly many can play.

Anyone who follows poker has heard this. My point is that any profession has a range of skill levels, much is sour grapes as someone in this thread indicated.

It perhaps is natural for any profession that had a particular slow progression of accomplishment at one stage, then when the progression is suddenly quicker and the money is astronomically higher that alone engenders some bad feelings - that's one thing but claiming these new people have no skill is another. Let me give another example, in the NFL "old days" to be QB of an NFL team took years, good college players were expected to languish on the bench until the "old guy" petered out. Fast forward to the future - a guy comes out of college, is expected to start quickly and with signing bonuses more than career salary than the likes of Bart Starr. The debate goes on but no one buys the "new guys" are all no good - many are very good, very quickly.

Merlin333

Last edited:
M

muddawgg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i enjoy the game and have learned alot playing online