Why PLO?

D

danielcai

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have always been wondering why the most popular form of Omaha is Pot limit omaha. Why not limited omaha or no-limit omaha?

Just asking out of curiosity, anyone knows the reason why? lol

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No limit Omaha high devolves quickly with people shoving or raising huge with aces pre-flop (since they are a favorite against other hands).

Limit Omaha is fun but you can't make bets big enough to price out a draw and everyone is priced in to continually call given the pot size.

PLO is fun because the pot and bets start small but grow as the board develops. So there is incentive to speculate and mistakes can still be punished on later streets.

Good luck!

D

danielcai

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Then how come No Limit Texas holdem is the most popular form of holdem instead of pot-limit? People can also shove with aces and kinhs which are big hands in holdem

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Comparing Hold'em and Omaha is a bit like apples and oranges.

In Omaha the hand equities run much closer together - aces aren't a big favorite against most hands so denying your opponent their equity by making huge over-bets is a good strategy in no-limit. In Hold'em AA is a 4.5 to 1 favorite against smaller pairs - there is no equivalent pre-flop to this in Omaha.

Each player has 4 cards (or 6 hold'em hands at once) and must play two out of their hand and 3 on the board at all times. The hand strengths are very different, in hold'em a pair is a good hand heads-up and two-pair can win multi-way pots and in Omaha you mainly win with straights, flushes and full houses.

Anyways lots of good resources out there if you're interested in playing Omaha. :)

Good luck to you!

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No limit Omaha high devolves quickly with people shoving or raising huge with aces pre-flop (since they are a favorite against other hands).

Limit Omaha is fun but you can't make bets big enough to price out a draw and everyone is priced in to continually call given the pot size.

PLO is fun because the pot and bets start small but grow as the board develops. So there is incentive to speculate and mistakes can still be punished on later streets.

Good luck!

Well said, after thinking a bit, I would like to play some pot limit hold em. Not too many players do though.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
PLO is entertaining while you are winning.
I went many sessions recently winning in each.
I jumped a buy-in level and soon found that the when PLO variance it bites you, it takes big chunks. Beware!

TinkCzru

TinkCzru

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just started playing Omaha on ACR after a freeroll cash this past weekend. I had somehow forgotten about the game--being only attracted to NLH, but it quickly came back to me. I ran 2 dollars up to 9 dollars in less than 40 hands. The next session I lost It all. Oh well.... (the strategy is so much different--and you really gotta know your stuff)

I'm planning on playing live omaha soon just to see if I can run good but I might chicken out haha. Folks don't fold--I learned that very quickly

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
ive tried all forms of Omaha and it is just to swingy for my liking. I prefer to stick with no limit holdem for that reason. Limit poker is played by a lot of the older generations, but has died off with the newer ones.

D

danielcai

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Comparing Hold'em and Omaha is a bit like apples and oranges.

In Omaha the hand equities run much closer together - aces aren't a big favorite against most hands so denying your opponent their equity by making huge over-bets is a good strategy in no-limit. In Hold'em AA is a 4.5 to 1 favorite against smaller pairs - there is no equivalent pre-flop to this in Omaha.

Each player has 4 cards (or 6 hold'em hands at once) and must play two out of their hand and 3 on the board at all times. The hand strengths are very different, in hold'em a pair is a good hand heads-up and two-pair can win multi-way pots and in Omaha you mainly win with straights, flushes and full houses.

Anyways lots of good resources out there if you're interested in playing Omaha. :)

Good luck to you!

Any good tutorial of PLO you know of? Would you mind sharing them with me? Thanks a lot .

jus7_play3r

jus7_play3r

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just because I think if it was without limit, each game will be pushing all - yin: D. Omaha has so many chicken pox that players try each game with all maps!
Of course, that some cards are good but weak cards have a pretty big chance to win the hand!

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
Honestly, I am surprised. I am convinced that the most popular game is Texas Hold'em. Personally, I do not play anything except Texas Hold'em.
Good luck.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
PLO is a fun game to play. I like it, but I play Texas Holdem way more.:jd4:

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Rolf Slotboom and Jeff Hwang have some good books on PLO.

Poker training sites where you can watch videos of pros playing PLO and talking about their decisions is very helpful too.

Twitch is a good place to learn too - you can find a PLO live stream and ask questions in the chat.

Even googling PLO Strategy gives a lot of info.

Good luck!

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
In pot limit chance to survive depends on maths not on chance.

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It seems to me, that Pot Limit Omaha is just more easier to understand(as a game). People think, that it will be more easier to win in this game.