Why K9?

C

ChicoRSC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why are there people that prefer K9 than other hand?

Why K9, not KT, KQ, KJ, KA???

Thanks

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Annoying me a couple of cards - AA. She is constantly losing. I do not lay any hopes on this card pair.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a normal fold for me unless it real short table. If it is a 3 to 1 call, I'll see a flop. Don't see the value in the hand though.

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thanks

K9 is
Doyle Brunson's Favorite Hand... Every time I've had them I've Had some trouble lol I think he must mean its his favorite hand when his opponent has them lol

KJ is a hand that Tony "G" has claimed never ever keep when you're playing against him, and has a book where he states some thing about it and cussed and ridiculed an opponent for losing to him with KJ and even said "You said you read my book and I wrote in there even how dangerous KJ are to keep, and then you try playing me with them" I have seen him hold them on a cash game once and it struck me he must be reaching for any hand at that point... lol

AK is notorious for coming up against AA or any pocket pair really, well at least for me and those I've read about...

I Like that I've heard "Any two cards can Win a Game","You're dealt two random cards and each card in the flop and river are Random cards so any hand is likely to hit"
That's why so many people will bluff...

you just need the confidence to semi bluff...

so when you get these Pretty hands AK KJ KQ KT AT AJ AQ you think YEY!!! I'm going to push and ram this right down your throat aaaaggrgeeesssaarrhhhhh!!! some one has pocket 3's and hits a 3 on the flop... lol owwwwwwwww wtf just happened lol but others just fold the 33 pocket when some one with KJ bets in enough ... 33 is thinking F'that im not into the way that guy just went aaaaggrgeeesssaarrhhhhh!!!All-in ram jam push!!!

Good Luck

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
K9 is a loser in my view. Only time I might keep them is if they were of the same suit. Then you have a chance at a good flush

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally in preflop I prefer K-Q than K-9, since 9 represents a low kicker. (If the opponent had K-J, it would already be below his range)
It is true that the 9 blocks style combinations Q-10, J-10, K-J. And I will take away odds from my rivals, who have these combos.
This point is very valuable from the flop, where the development of the hand begins.
K-9 I especially like in boards that allow me to have enough outs, as to continue the hand. Otherwise, it is not a hand I like very much.
Greetings.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Thanks

Anybody that preferes K9 over any of those other hands has no concept of math. K9 is a marginal hand at best. There are some situations where you might play it:

- In LP at a very tight table if nobody has entered the pot
- In a limped multi way pot where you are getting good pot odds
- With a short stack, shoving in LP when nobody has entered in front of you

Even KT, KJ and KQ can very easily get you into trouble since any raise before you has a high chance of dominating you with a hand like AK.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The answer is simple because better K9 does not come, and the stack conceals.

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the most people only play K9 when the situation calls for it.
If they're shortstacked, can see a flop very cheap, against a very loose player...

D

dark IPA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no one expects you calling big bet with K9, such stealthing can help you :)

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After thinking about this, I came to the simple conclusion that it's because they can... tourists (considering of course that he not is short stack, if is the case, is another history)

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oddly enough K9 is has won me a lot of hands. I wont play it with an expensive preflop raise but if you let me come along cheap I'll see a flop. I rarely see K9 but when I do I usually always hit 2 pair

Aremaz95

Aremaz95

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this hand is good for simple reasons almost always people get involved with hands and do not evaluate other hands and consider that K9 are bad because you do not aspire to much but if you think about it is a connector for the ladder 10JQ and also almost they never expect you to play that hand, many throw it away

Serbianbeauty

Serbianbeauty

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting thoughts as I almost never play K9 except on blinds. Something to think about and consider.....

alfiyka

alfiyka

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like this couple. She rarely plays for me. I throw it off most of the time.Although looks nice.

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
K9 is quite stretava map, especially if suited it can be a monster in principle, even go all in, I like K9 suited. The average street card, and the king does not look bad. Still better than the Q10 or QJ, if a showdown before the flop. So K9 battle tank.

LeeCallaghan

LeeCallaghan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
local or big time? small cash or big cash? cash or tournament? thanks

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
A difficult question but an easy answer. Because people are different. Some are more like sharks, others are more like perch. Personally, I never play with cards like K, 9.

Natta777

Natta777

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I often play K9, because from experience and observations this pair often wins. I will only reset on the bubble.

andsws

andsws

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
RO
Chips
Same here, I like to play with K9 and have won lots of hands especially in early game.

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not know,I prefer KK, KA.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually prefer all of the other hands mentioned in the OP to K-9. In fact, under most circumstances I am more likely to fold it than to play it. But I do remember one night winning a tournament, largely on the back of K-9.

It was deep in the tournament and after being coolered and drawn out on a couple of times, I found myself down towards the bottom of the leaderboard. I was in the BB, facing a button raise and decided to defend my blind with K-9. I flopped two pair and ended up taking the pot down. So when I found myself again looking K-9 the next time my blind came around, I decided "what the heck". Even though the pot had been raised and called in front of me I decided to give K-9 another whirl. This time I ended up making a straight.

After that, I kept playing K-9 for the rest of the night, raising and even calling raises with it. Before I knew it, I was ITM and close to the top of the leaderboard, largely due to the success I had had playing K-9. If I remember correctly, I do believe I ended up winning that tournament. I did catch a few other strong hands in there, of course. But for the most part K-9 was the horse rode to victory that night.

It didn't become my new favorite hand or anything like that. But nowadays, from time to time, I look down at K-9 and remember a night when I went from the bottom of the leaderboard to the top on the back of that hand and decide to give it a whirl.

dzemer

dzemer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im playing K9 only suited and after seeing flop. If preflop someone raise more than 1 bb i fold. K9 is dangerous.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It all depends on each individual situation, but it is better not to play with such cards in online tournaments.