Where does your profit come from in poker?

sryulaw

sryulaw

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your poker profit comes solely from the fact that you face opponents below your own.
I've tired of hearing people commenting that "I prefer to play against better players, where my bluffs go" or "I can read better players who know how to play than fishes, who play with anything" and other things, but this is a mistake GIANT.
Money is not a tree, right? So if you play against players as good as you or better than you, where do you expect your profit to go? You can win one time or another, but in the long run you will either tie or lose.
Whereas tournaments charge rake (8 to 15%), if you face players of the same level as you, just by rake you will already be a pretty loser player.
So you need to decide where the weaker opponents are you - the weaker the better! - and only play that field. Until you get better and better.
When you have the illusion (yes, it's pure illusion) that your game "fits better" against the good players, you do not actually realize that your bluff has passed, yes, but in the same way that hand you hit flop and did not draw anything, if it was against a weaker player you might extract a lot more.
On the average, overall, you'll earn less (or nothing) against better players. And if you stop to think, you will see that this is elementary.
The truth is that you must adjust your game against bad players to the point of exploiting them in the best possible way. Does not your opponent bow to your bluffs? So this is a game where you do not have to bluff. You will profit against it by playing for value (who said that playing well is playing beautiful? The simple is sometimes the most correct).
Likewise when he plays with "bizarre hands". You do not have to hunt bluffs of it, nor try to re-bluff, anything like that. If he has any imbalance in the frequencies, if he plays with a crazy range, HE will miss so much that the chips will fall on your lap.
Bad players make bad plays and will make more mistakes than good players. Bad players will be your source of profitability, they are the ones who will pay a hand that they should not pay, they will play their hands more obviously, they will open the way for you in a tournament to accumulate chips. Good players will never give you this softness.
Let's see below the main guidelines for you to find the right road to profitable gambling.
The funny thing is to see in the tournaments players criticizing played because he called horrible and hit something in the end, even here in the Club, has a player who criticizes the partner for giving a Call, or All in with horrible hands, the right and thank, and that If we do not change this thinking it will be a big problem in poker in the future, we need bad players, recreational players, players that play with anything, they come from the profits, think about it,

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good points, up to a point. We need to play against better players to improve. I've learned over time that some of those calls that I thought were really bad, were actually kind of shrewd. In fact I make some of them myself now.

Good players don't just play premium starting hands. They play a whole variety of hands depending on the circumstances. Most flops miss most players. It's how you play post-flop knowing that reality that matters most.

I welcome bad (i.e., predictable) players. They contribute to my stack which in turn allows me to compete with the better players. I like playing against both.

I don't consider myself to be a good player, but I'm not bad and getting better.

sryulaw

sryulaw

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good points, up to a point. We need to play against better players to improve. I've learned over time that some of those calls that I thought were really bad, were actually kind of shrewd. In fact I make some of them myself now.

Good players don't just play premium starting hands. They play a whole variety of hands depending on the circumstances. Most flops miss most players. It's how you play post-flop knowing that reality that matters most.

I welcome bad (i.e., predictable) players. They contribute to my stack which in turn allows me to compete with the better players. I like playing against both.

I don't consider myself to be a good player, but I'm not bad and getting better.

The point of view, but you can play at the shark tables, you will want to know what the profit is, learn how to do it, know what the profit is, learn, evolve, do it otherwise, instead of losing money for the best of the tables.

kratos

kratos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The point of view, but you can play at the shark tables, you will want to know what the profit is, learn how to do it, know what the profit is, learn, evolve, do it otherwise, instead of losing money for the best of the tables.
Playing with the sharks is a good learning for beginers like me.See theyr actions,Open raise,C-bet,bluf ,semi-bluf and so on...

Last edited:
henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play with better players just to learn more, but my profit just come in a smaller field.

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I want neither the sharks nor the fishes that dont respect my post flop play. I dont make money out of good cards, I make money when I play the board good combined with a read to get folds. Donks and fishes are not good at that, and can keep calling with top pair on a straighty board. Try beating a freeroll if you think you can easily make money out of fishes, donks and calling stations.

But its not fishes or sharks and nothing in between. There is a whole middle average players. And certainly I try to play against an average player that is a level below me.

Last edited:
PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Most here will not understand it and many will completely disagree with you.

But you are 100% correct from my viewpoint.
Your poker profit comes solely from the fact that you face opponents below your own.
I've tired of hearing people commenting that "I prefer to play against better players, where my bluffs go" or "I can read better players who know how to play than fishes, who play with anything" and other things, but this is a mistake GIANT.
Money is not a tree, right? So if you play against players as good as you or better than you, where do you expect your profit to go? You can win one time or another, but in the long run you will either tie or lose.
Whereas tournaments charge rake (8 to 15%), if you face players of the same level as you, just by rake you will already be a pretty loser player.
So you need to decide where the weaker opponents are you - the weaker the better! - and only play that field. Until you get better and better.
When you have the illusion (yes, it's pure illusion) that your game "fits better" against the good players, you do not actually realize that your bluff has passed, yes, but in the same way that hand you hit flop and did not draw anything, if it was against a weaker player you might extract a lot more.
On the average, overall, you'll earn less (or nothing) against better players. And if you stop to think, you will see that this is elementary.
The truth is that you must adjust your game against bad players to the point of exploiting them in the best possible way. Does not your opponent bow to your bluffs? So this is a game where you do not have to bluff. You will profit against it by playing for value (who said that playing well is playing beautiful? The simple is sometimes the most correct).
Likewise when he plays with "bizarre hands". You do not have to hunt bluffs of it, nor try to re-bluff, anything like that. If he has any imbalance in the frequencies, if he plays with a crazy range, HE will miss so much that the chips will fall on your lap.
Bad players make bad plays and will make more mistakes than good players. Bad players will be your source of profitability, they are the ones who will pay a hand that they should not pay, they will play their hands more obviously, they will open the way for you in a tournament to accumulate chips. Good players will never give you this softness.
Let's see below the main guidelines for you to find the right road to profitable gambling.
The funny thing is to see in the tournaments players criticizing played because he called horrible and hit something in the end, even here in the Club, has a player who criticizes the partner for giving a Call, or All in with horrible hands, the right and thank, and that If we do not change this thinking it will be a big problem in poker in the future, we need bad players, recreational players, players that play with anything, they come from the profits, think about it,

22meandu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I make a profit from bankroll management . Small deposits and withdrawals at a certain amount . I have a deposit limit per week and a % loss limit per deposit . If you see me in a high entry fee tournament , it means i have satellited into it using profit made . I learnt early in my gambling career , never chase and always run . A small win is sOOOO sweeter than a loss .

bekel285

bekel285

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, the more donks the better.

R

Rolco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most here will not understand it and many will completely disagree with you.

But you are 100% correct from my viewpoint.

Please don't pretend that it takes much intelligence to deduce this.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you and with
bekel285, that the more donks the better, and you can perfectly raise on such players and get good results in tournaments and in the cash game to win money!

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing micro-stakes for MTT and SnG are place to make profit. It is slow going but were to find a profit.

R

rafffinamore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think you should play good players in the most cautious way possible, and if you realize that you will not be able to withstand post-flop pressure, the best thing to do is to fold in the pre-flop even if you do not want to lose more chips. And if that player does not get into the hand, take advantage of exploring other players, because in a tournament you will not only be playing against him but seven more players most of the time. That way you can maximize your winnings by cutting losses as fast as possible and letting your profit grow by extracting as many chips as possible. Good luck.

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Agreed 100%
you dont need to play with better players to learn, you can watch them to learn

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
play whatever and wherever but take more than what was invested, and that is the profit

M

matnautico

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You gotta find a format and stick to It. My main game type is hyper turbo sit&gos.

Leomil

Leomil

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes!! You said all. The players that justify their weak game with those arguments are the ones who make our games profit to haha