When to quit?

S

Shadyginzo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Feeling sorry for myself here, If tragedy ain't your thing probably best move tables now XD

My game is in absolute chaos right now. 40k hands running at - 7.5BB/100.

I'm not going to wheel out bad beat stories or "minus EV" nonsense... because I think the reason is I'm simply terrible at this game at this time. My VPIP is the generally tighter side of normal and 3-bets are where they should be. And I seem to be making straights and flushes around as often as I should. The only anomaly over 85K hands is sets, which to put it simply don't happen XD (connecting with something like 3-4% of pocket pairs).

I started out great, 10k hands of NL2 for 12bb/100 (not a decent sample by any means I know) and moved to NL5 where I got 7.5BB/100 over 30K hands. (again, could be a bigger sample but at this point I felt good.)

Since then, just pure insanity. winning less then 1 in ten sessions, often down by multiple buy-ins. Zero confidence in my ability.

Now a massive factor in this was moving to zoom. Maybe naively but this seemed like a good place to go "back to basics" after the downswing started. I simply can't think what else to try. I'm now in 0BB/100 all-time territory and can't seem to find anyway back on track.

When do you stop blaming variance for the downswings, and accept that it was the UPSWING that was luck!? :D

Or have you been through this downswing and come out of the other side with your sanity intact?

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
For starters, take a break for at least a month. Take a break and think about what poker means to you. If for you it is only roulette, lottery, opportunity to lose money and thus receive adrenaline, then you better find yourself another hobby.

C

craiggg123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
take a break, is the obvious answer having time off may help get your enthusiasm back :)

swimbles

swimbles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
take a few days off minimum, go outside, stop stressing about it. when you can reenter the game with a cool head and more ambition, i think you'll find your game will improve.