When To Quit

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There comes a time in every players game when he/she thinks, "it's time I folded the tent". When this point is reached, is it when your Loss Limit is reached, or some mathematical method based on the number of Buy Ins or BBs, or even a gut feeling that you are getting nowhere, or something else?

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The idea is to have a limit up and one down so you always know when you are ready to go winning or losing good luck greetings:cool:

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No need to wait until your bankroll runs out, or you get tired of poker. You need a reasonable approach to the game and the allocation of time for the game and other things.
You need to decide that for you poker is a hobby or job that gives you income.
In addition to the game, you need to devote time to study, and if you are wise to approach learning, you will play a plus.

S

SweetLemonz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only 2 times you should quit is if you got other life priorities , which i guess is an obvious one or if you are not enjoying the game anymore 100% just cash out your account and head on your way. If you got no money just play freerolls and try to make some bank , you can enjoy poker still when your broke.

R

Ricardo_lhp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For those who play for hobby I think that there is no such moment, you are only there to have fun if you lose everything well now if you earn a few dollars or a few hundred dollars it will be very gratifying. Now for a professional he knows that he will have many bad moments in his career, the important thing is to study and persist, otherwise he will never leave the place even then the best is for!

DanyDGD

DanyDGD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are only there to have fun if you lose everything well now if you earn a few dollars or a few hundred dollars it will be very gratifying.

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I leave the game when I have zero on the account or I have won a lot - I do not like to be break even.

H

hermaeris

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There comes a time in every players game when he/she thinks, "it's time I folded the tent". When this point is reached, is it when your Loss Limit is reached, or some mathematical method based on the number of Buy Ins or BBs, or even a gut feeling that you are getting nowhere, or something else?

Your question is a bit ambiguous - some people answer when they (would) quit poker in general, some when they quit a game or a session ...

I think that quitting is, in general, the biggest challenge and the point where you can see whether you have a healthy approach or not - if you want to see it.

A friend of mine told me about the post of a professional poker player (I haven't looked it up, maybe it was even here?) just a couple of weeks ago who had an incredible run at en event (not in the tournament, but playing cash as I understood it) and came as far as having a plus of $900.000. Yet, he absolutely wanted the million and ended up being in red numbers of over -$200.000.

Quitting after winning might be the hardest thing. Afterwards you know what your highest win was and that you should have stopped there, but while your playing, your winning and losing all the time and you just don't know when the final decline starts.

So in this case I think that you have to countertrick your mind that keeps telling you you should win back what you just lost, and draw a red line - if this poker player had drawn it at $500.000 it would have felt like losing $400.000 in the situation but afterwards he would have realised that he won an incredible half million dollars!

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had thoughts to quit, but when I lost my bankroll, I continued to play and try to raise from 0, I just like the game of poker and it’s good when I win somewhere, many players need to learn to have patience in the game and learn how to manage a bankroll Did not lose your entire bankroll immediately after each win!

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I win something, I'm out.

C

corieaddison

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with all these comment. You should never quit playing a game that is fun. Just manage your bankroll better and go from there. play freerolls and build your bankroll.

Good Luck Out There!

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it's drastically affecting your personal life (relationships, marriage, mortgage, car payments, bills, ect) then I think it's a good idea to call it quits for a while at least until you get everything back in order.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the most important thing is to have a good time playing poker. Making money online is not a priority for me. If I manage to gain so much better, it is not really a problem or a goal to reach at all costs.

Reload

Reload

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Before quitting, i think everyone that thinks in doing it, should make a pause, maybe days, weeks, etc. Think on what can you change, so that your game improves, and give it a second chance.

GordyPoker

GordyPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a really tough one in my eyes

If you are doin well and lots of BB in profit - you want to stay in the game and keep our edge

If you are stuck lots of BB then you want to stay and try and recoup

In Cash a games I will take 2-3 buy ins - if that goes then I’m gone - apart from that I don’t really have a quitting time

muse713

muse713

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a daily stop loss. If I'm having a winning session I will play until my spidey senses tells me to quit.

walluyo

walluyo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you have something to do with, then stop play.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If poker has entered your life then there is no way out, it's forever

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
If you are passionate about poker ... you should not consider stopping playing in any way ... you should only analyze what you are doing wrong ... read a little more or watch some videos that intrude you better ... and you have the necessary corrections to improve ..!

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I try and call it a day while I'm still playing well.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not playing for cash right now. But when I played, I tried to leave when I lost half of the money taken at the table or when I doubled it.

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with a lot of posts, in that you must have a win and a loss limit, and have the discipline to quit when you reach either of them

Ricey155

Ricey155

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only you can make that decision my friend, poker is very frustrating online your never sure if a clown is raising with junk and moving AI most hands until you call and get done over.

Freerolls are a waste of time and effort pennies for hours of work, I've set myself level 50 on 888 and that's it I'm playing the poker club games only and withdrawing my bankroll if anything left.

My next challenge is Coinpoker and Virtua Poker when lauched. learn a new shuffle system :)

G

Gr34tWh1t3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you can't keep up with your life priorities , and neglect your family over the poker game or when you lose more then can afford and this leads to serious problems in your everyday life the are enough people that play/gamble money they don't have and put themselves in serious trouble.
Or sometimes you just have to know when to call it a day after you won .