When losing more often, what you do immediately

F

Fair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always manage bankroll to never defeat but after losing some game by most unbelievable ways - likely you can lose and then.....
Whenever this happens i just lose control then using bankroll madly with bigger buy in and allin, more aggressive, bluffing.. sometimes back to zero

What you do for this situation?

H

HungryLyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some reason since it happened to me first time, I always that of winning back losses but it never worked. Now I understand the bad beats and tilted like crazy happens and I am just used to leaving poker and play again another day because I know that the variance in poker is there. So just leave poker after and always stick to your bankroll management even when you losing.
Thank goodness I'm a recreational poker player and I treat it as fun as possible whether I'm winning or losing.
Good luck at tables

RimworldDoctor

RimworldDoctor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I lose, I usually take some time to reset. Eat, drink some water, do some pushups. It's a natural spot to remind your body to get up and move.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you find yourself tilting massively and losing your bankroll when dealing with a bad beat, it sounds like the reaction is much more expensive than the initial situation. While this can be frustrating of course, the good news is that this is the part that you can control and you’ve managed to identify the problem—which is a huge first step.

Personally I’d go with a hard and fast rule if I had this problem myself—stop playing immediately when you feel tilted. If you’re still in a tournament of course play it out, and try to be mindful of your self-destructive tendency. If you’re playing cash though, sit out right away.

In addition to that, I wouldn’t let myself play again until I’d studied a pre-determined amount of time, and I’d start with studying stuff to specifically strengthen my mental game—something like “I have to study 6 hours and feel ready before I play again.” I know the 6 hours probably won’t all be able to be accomplished that day, and that’s part of the point. Hold yourself responsible for playing well and hopefully you won’t lose your roll making plays you know to be suboptimal in the future.

Best of luck to you and hope this helps! [emoji4]

P

PEGAMEUALLIN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I leave it to play another day, because if you try to recover with a hot head it won't work

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I keep playing, doesn't matter

HeshamTwix

HeshamTwix

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
EG
Chips
i just keep folding until i get a good hand like AK, AJ, AQ or any pair but not lower than 99, and i play it smartely not going all in

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
If you find yourself tilting massively and losing your bankroll when dealing with a bad beat, it sounds like the reaction is much more expensive than the initial situation. While this can be frustrating of course, the good news is that this is the part that you can control and you’ve managed to identify the problem—which is a huge first step.

Personally I’d go with a hard and fast rule if I had this problem myself—stop playing immediately when you feel tilted. If you’re still in a tournament of course play it out, and try to be mindful of your self-destructive tendency. If you’re playing cash though, sit out right away.

In addition to that, I wouldn’t let myself play again until I’d studied a pre-determined amount of time, and I’d start with studying stuff to specifically strengthen my mental game—something like “I have to study 6 hours and feel ready before I play again.” I know the 6 hours probably won’t all be able to be accomplished that day, and that’s part of the point. Hold yourself responsible for playing well and hopefully you won’t lose your roll making plays you know to be suboptimal in the future.

Best of luck to you and hope this helps! [emoji4]

Hey Katie,
I was about to reply to the initial post when I stumbled on yours and realized that there is nothing I could add or say better, so I refrained. But I'm taking this opportunity to thank you so much for the 30 day course. In fact, I feel that my game has improved since I took it, it really helped me in some areas where my game had a couple of leaks.
Thanks again to both of you.

F

Fair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some reason since it happened to me first time, I always that of winning back losses but it never worked. Now I understand the bad beats and tilted like crazy happens and I am just used to leaving poker and play again another day because I know that the variance in poker is there. So just leave poker after and always stick to your bankroll management even when you losing.
Thank goodness I'm a recreational poker player and I treat it as fun as possible whether I'm winning or losing.
Good luck at tables

:D Good for you recreational player, fun and sometimes money come is this “rich life”

F

Fair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I lose, I usually take some time to reset. Eat, drink some water, do some pushups. It's a natural spot to remind your body to get up and move.

Maybe i could do this like you, it seem be good for both healthy and our money.
But pushups, i never have done over 3 reps each times, this workout for strong people or im so weak

J

JDolla

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to take an honest assessment of my play and decide whether or not I think I’m down-swinging (inevitable at some point ) or not playing optimally. After that I either take time off from playing or go study/do work off the felt and regain my focus

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You're describing 'TILT'.
There's no good reason to continue playing while on TILT unless you're in a tournament.

B

bruno1234poker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to keep calm and go to the next challenge.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Katie,
I was about to reply to the initial post when I stumbled on yours and realized that there is nothing I could add or say better, so I refrained. But I'm taking this opportunity to thank you so much for the 30 day course. In fact, I feel that my game has improved since I took it, it really helped me in some areas where my game had a couple of leaks.
Thanks again to both of you.

Awww thanks so much, that’s extremely kind and so glad you enjoyed the course :)

Thiagon

Thiagon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It really is difficult not to lose control and patience when we lose it in unbelievable ways.
I've taken several bads in a row in the same tournament or in different tournaments.
I learned to stop, close the program and cool my head.
Otherwise, the chance is high of using the bankroll and losing $.

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
I step away from the game. Stop playing. It is the only way for me to control myself when I know I am on a tilt.

Honestly, it doesn't happen to me anymore as I matured with the game but previously and if it to happen again the only solution for me is to take a break. No matter how long it is needed. I am talking days, weeks even months.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks like you've already taken some good steps to "fix" your problem just by posting on this forum. Katie Dozier's advice is perfect but let me add a little to the pot. Sometimes our only real hope for change comes after a poker crash. You lose to variance, blow up, and then lose a lot more at higher stakes or by making bigger bets when you just "know" you're going to win. You probably have to go through this more than once before you finally get the handle on your emotions. Once you do you need to simply see things as they really are. Variance in poker is beyond your control. All you can do is learn to minimize it's effects. You do that by making up some simple rules. Things like 'Don't chase - fold' , 'Don;t assume the other guy's big bet is a bluff because it usually isn't'. Put your rules on sticky notes where you can see them when you play. Keep a pad beside you and make a mark with your pen whenever you follow one of your rules. Heck, just the two I mentioned will get deeper into tournaments more often than you have in the past. Compare the number of marks with how well you did...I'll bet the more marks you have the better your results. Good luck.

A

azgeda

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I manage my bankroll, study/review my hands, or take a break. As a good bankroll management is crucially important, reviewing hands helps a lot with analysing mistakes, and not repeating it in the future and taking a break could also help.

D

Daen27

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately, I either lose everything or return mine and calmly go to watch the video or sleep)

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First thing you should do is to take the game more seriously. If not, thank you for moving the poker economy!

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I continue to play the right poker, try to make the right decisions and reassure myself with the words that distance will bring everything back, and what other choice can there be?

K

Kingsti95

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just getting a break, day or two, sometimes a week or more.

HeshamTwix

HeshamTwix

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
EG
Chips
When i lose a bad beat or something like that i just take rest for sometime, then play once again it just was a bad luck.

kirkham69er

kirkham69er

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always manage bankroll to never defeat but after losing some game by most unbelievable ways - likely you can lose and then.....
Whenever this happens i just lose control then using bankroll madly with bigger buy in and allin, more aggressive, bluffing.. sometimes back to zero

What you do for this situation?

I got sucked out to a raise all in with some moron in the BB calling almost 1/3rd of his stack with 37 to go in a 1200 player tourney and my KK was beat by 69s... yes i almost had a fit, but with that bad luck is rare... play that hand out a million times and he will lose more often than not... in this instance i took myself away and brushed it off.. getting angry will only result in another hoodie being ripped off by my teeth and i cba with that again.... so lesson learnt

KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You do it once, you do it twice, but then you have to start to learn that you will not win when you are in this mood. Better watch a movie, the tables will be awaiting you tomorrow again!