When it all starts to crumble...

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just want to remind everyone that even good players (yes, I consider myself good), have periods of time where nothing goes right and everything seems like it is crumbling.

Yesterday, I lost 80/20 after 80/20 and it used to be a spot where I would get on tilt to start to "win back" that money that I wasn't "supposed to lose."

This is folly.

When you feel like I did yesterday...take a break. Turn off the poker and open a book. Or even better, take a walk in nature.

:)

I lost $75 yesterday, but had I not stepped away it could have been hundreds. :)

I feel refreshed today and ready to slowly and steadily continue to add to my bankroll.

A fox 666

A fox 666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most important difference between a good poker player and a bad one is the ability to stop in time!

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The most important difference between a good poker player and a bad one is the ability to stop in time!

Exactly! My biggest losing sessions were the ones where I was chasing lost money, trying to play make up.

SecksyGambler

SecksyGambler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do this far too often. I'll lose a few too many hands without seeing anything go in my favor and I'll act irrationally. I don't think that I play differently until I jam a three-bet with A5s. As per expectations, They always have me beat.

I think my problem is the fact that I lose favorable spots more often than I win less favorable spots. It feels like my actual values are substantially worse than my expected values. I cant be sure I don't have any tracking software. But, I'd be willing to bet on the fact that I'm just an 'unlucky' player.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
... and when I think about how many times I will go through those phases ... hmmm!

D

DeathView

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
And i hat it if you loose with a Hand with aces just to see that your next hand with let´s say 5 9 of suit flops a Full House

pitoplay

pitoplay

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
everyone has good as well as bad phases
what separates a good player from a bad one is bankroll management.

F

fmbordini

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the psychological part is one of the most complicated, because we only found out after the problem happened ... it is difficult that I never have tilt

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do this far too often. I'll lose a few too many hands without seeing anything go in my favor and I'll act irrationally. I don't think that I play differently until I jam a three-bet with A5s. As per expectations, They always have me beat.

I think my problem is the fact that I lose favorable spots more often than I win less favorable spots. It feels like my actual values are substantially worse than my expected values. I cant be sure I don't have any tracking software. But, I'd be willing to bet on the fact that I'm just an 'unlucky' player.

You've basically described the illusion of luck. Luck doesn't exist. I've had some very "unlucky" things happen to me, that end up being "lucky" once enough time has passed and I see the full scope of the event.

Keep getting it in good and take a break after you've lost several 80/20s in a row. Come back with a refreshed mind that forgot about the prior day's results.

Remember, you can flip a fair coin 100,000 times and it's possible for it to land on heads every time. :)

Perhaps we should refer to the outcome of a hand as chance, not luck. :)

C

crabcruncher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you learn more about poker skills by playing on when you are losing to bad beats. We all know when tilt starts gnawing at our brains. Use that knowledge to beat tilt, and play well. Tilt is one part of everyones game that they have to control if they want to win tourneys.

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for sharing your experience. Sometimes it is necessary to take a break and reorganize the thought calmly.

R

Rabberto71

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with every bit of this
I think it’s been one of the hardest things for me to learn
Some days just don’t go for you, the important thing is to not change how you normally play too much and just realise that sometimes you just get bad luck
As long as you’re happy with how you have played:D

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’m on a bad run on poker now, in the last 2-3 weeks I lost the count of the times that I ended on or near the bubble in the tournaments. Today I ended up on the bubble again, but I just close the poker room and did something else. I was happy to realize that I’m learning to deal better with the losses :)

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with every bit of this
I think it’s been one of the hardest things for me to learn
Some days just don’t go for you, the important thing is to not change how you normally play too much and just realise that sometimes you just get bad luck
As long as you’re happy with how you have played:D

I’m on a bad run on poker now, in the last 2-3 weeks I lost the count of the times that I ended on or near the bubble in the tournaments. Today I ended up on the bubble again, but I just close the poker room and did something else. I was happy to realize that I’m learning to deal better with the losses :)

Yes :)

Focus on the gameplay, not the results.

I like sharing my current experiences, because it helps me stay rational and think through what I should be doing.

Right now I'm back at my MTT game, just taking what it given and not trying to force anything. I know I will continue to win, as long as I continue to have fun. :)