When and how to play tight

B

badia232323

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to play tight at the early stage of MTT because there is no need to take risks, and sometimes in cache game because most of caches game players are gamblers, you will beat them easaly if you play only a strong hands and you call in position with a suited connectors or a small pairs waiting for the set in the flop...
The tight players fold all hands exept very strong hands lik AA or KK or QQ or AK... they fold also somes good hands like KT offsuit or KT ofsuit if they are out of position.
They plays meduim suited connectors like 89, 9T, TJ in position.
Tight players like the famous Daniel Negreanu are most of the time limping, they raise or bet only if they feel that they have beter hand than there opponent.
Don't forget, there is always an exeption for every rule, as I sayed in previous post, you have to be a creative player and never follow the rules blindaly.

T

twoG1cup

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early game I follow these guys' advice:

O

obli

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that the bubles period is also the reason to play more tightly than before, of course if you are not a chip leader or you have a hand like AA KK QQ

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always play very carefully. I try to wait patiently for strong cards and always use the position at the table. I am convinced that patience is the key to success.

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always say the most important lesson in poker is learning how to fold.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play tight against loose players or tables and just wait for my opportunity to strike. It's easy sometimes to get loose players when you're playing tight because the loose players play a wide range of cards and you just have to wait for your hand to get their chips.

D

Dlbcanuck

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always play very carefully. I try to wait patiently for strong cards and always use the position at the table. I am convinced that patience is the key to success.

My biggest problem when playing cash games is boredom which is linked to patience.
Playing tight in cash games till you know the table is important.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
The boring thing about NLH with only a small and big blind (cash games and early tournament play) is that you can play very tight (nitty tight) and still be a winning player. It is not optimal play, but you can win small against not so good players.