When did every pair become an all in hand

supernuts25

supernuts25

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What happen to folding a pair it seems now almost at any stage of a tourney, people call off or shove there whole stack with any pair.
When did this become a thing ??

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Degradation is a real thing, mate.
As easier to play as better for most

D

DancingNancie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the ranges have changed a bit for what people are willing to jam with and still have a larger stack. Flipping for a stack isn't nearly as uncommon as it used to be.

K

Kraanjhb7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its only at the low stakes or freerolls that you get those. A lot of guys gets eliminated this way. Even me with AA today.

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any pair has a 51% to win before preflop. S-o if YOU dont know-how to play after flop YOU go all in before.calculator odds fold

I think there's something in this that. In some situations where it's marginal to play either raise or shove, a player with weaker postflop skills may feel more confident just rolling the dice on a low pair. Indeed, many threads on this forum see players expressing problems playing lower pairs, so I can see why this appeals.

It is essential though to understand that in a great deal of situations, you will end up in a situation where you'll force a fold of weaker hands and only get called by better, which of course is exactly what you don't want.

M

Meroveus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jamming any pocket pair used to be a tactic used by people that bought in to cash games with 20BB
I don't think many poker rooms even off 20BB buy-ins any more
In tournaments there are a lot of spots where open-shoving any pair is proper play.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The game is becoming more aggressive, and the best way to pressure is probably all-in, which is probably why players with not very strong hands are more often faced.:)

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I was just wondering the same thing. It used to be face cards were an early push, but now it seems any pair is good enough. Should be easy to pick up chips early on, but the bad beats are really painful.. Nothing like losing with aces to pocket fours in the first level!

C

Clean

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What happen to folding a pair it seems now almost at any stage of a tourney, people call off or shove there whole stack with any pair.
It depends how you feel

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A Thing for the non-thinkers..

Any pair is a shove for those who: 1) don't like to think, or 2) those who put their fate in the poker god's hand. Of course, my last tourney,KK pocket lost to a suck-out straight run-out, nothing more than luck on opponents side, that's the way it goes, life goes on, post suck-out.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"their whole stack" means nothing without knowing the blinds.

there are going to be situations where, depending on blinds, going all in with a pair is going to be the best option, a bad option, or somewhere in between.

P

ProfessorGrind

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m some cases It’s GTO. If a HJ opens with a min raise and you have 8s in the big blind, that’s a standard jam for 20 BBs.

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When the stacks are medium sized, to small to give you good implied odds and too large to shove its often best to fold them.

supernuts25

supernuts25

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Sorry I should have been more specific, I mean 50bb plus. It can even be raise and reraised and I see so many people jamming so much with hands your almost always beat.
Even late in tourneys it just seems crazy.
But seems lately to be happening often I folded bigger pairs giving way to much credit I guess

qWald0

qWald0

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I noticed that too, especially from the small blind.

UM3SH

UM3SH

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of the players with lower BBs shove their stacks with any pair.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
In a high stakes tournament you rarely see anything like that.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I think that players who follow these principles of the game will never be able to make a profit in the long run. In essence, these are bingo players.
Good luck.

M

Maggio_A

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At least it was a pair :D I´ve lately seen some all-ins with cards like 10 and 6, not short stacked players, just believing in some high entities :D still cant process how many times it worked for them :D

L

lintsikka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Who wouldn't like flipping coins :D
But really it depends a lot what you are playing normal, turbo/hyper, deep, ko... and stage of tourny.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From Chapter 11 of my forthcoming book: PAIRS SUCK

Unfortunately, we will play with nothing more than a pair a large percentage of the time, so we had better get good at it. We will win a bunch of hands with a pair and we will lose a bunch of hands with a pair. The trick in a tournament is to not overplay them. That is how you get busted in a tournament. Sets and 2 pair hands are completely transparent to us, so we should not be surprised if we run into one of these hands with a pair. With 2 players, a pair is the best hand no more than ~42% of the time.

There are times when shoving with a pair, either pre-flop or a pair on the flop, is a good play, but do not expect to survive with this as your only play.

Good luck and God bless.

masik6

masik6

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Shove all pairs in a row is stupid weak pairs need to be played through the check count exception only if you have a very short stack, Alyn only AA and KK remaining pairs through the raise this is my personal opinion.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands