When do you decide it's time to give up?

guccipix

guccipix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been honing my skills for almost a year now and have played a lot online and quite a bit live, but have yet to bee in the green (profit). In live tournaments I keep getting out pretty close to the bubble and it certainly is frustrating. I love playing but if I only continue to lose money, at what point do I accept that not all players can be winning players and just give it up?

S

SlavaUa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also think about it and now i decided to play only freerolls and some tourny if i have money from free.

M

Malette82

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you enjoy playing stick with smaller tournament's smaller payout but much easier to beat the bubble. I personally like 6 man trny top 2 get paid been able to make a few bucks. Hope this helps best of luck at the tables.

R

rafbam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
look online for "Bankroll management"; there are a lot of good videos and tuturials availeble.

Here a small sumary:
1 tournaments:
You are most likely to lose in a tournament, so you should only invest 1% off youre bankroll money in tournaments.

2 sit and go:
here you can spent up to 10% off youre money, but the most important trick is to stop in time! The most used strategy is to stop at (at least) 5 times youre input. (eg: you have 100$ in youre bankroll; so you can play for 10$ (take sit and go tables where you can pay max 10$) and if you have more then 50$ in that game you stop and stand up (you can join another table if you want for again 10% of youre bankroll)

this way you are less likly to go bankrupt as fast as now, and if you get more and more experiance, you will see that youre bankroll starts to grow.

A few downsides to this way of playing: if you get a bit low you most play for more then youre 1% ore 10% and the system doesn't hold enymore; and you have to get a good starting amount (100$ or more) and if it goes up, it will do so slowly. But remember, better to grow slowly then to lose fast!

greetings Raf

NoPlace4U

NoPlace4U

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should give up if you dont want to keep playing but if you still like the game keep doing it, play the micro levels and study until you can beat it.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would suggest looking into getting away from holdem, and start playing PLO, Hi/lo, Stud, and Razz. Trust me I was there a few months ago. The grind its just too hard now a days to really be consistently profitable. now don't get me wrong. as long as you can control your money, and know what limits to play you will be profitable for the long run. Your downswings will suck a weeks worth of pay out of you in a heart beat, and you gotta learn to accept that. There are just too many good players out there. when you have a group of good players all playing at the same table you take a lot of skill out of the game, and it just comes down to who gets what cards at what time.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can get back to lower stakes till you improve enough your game or even go to freerolls for some time if you do not want to risk more of your money. Very important is to constantly improve your game by reading books, watching videos and analyzing your own game.

nopainnogain

nopainnogain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that you should give up when you start spending too much money and this reflects in your personal and family life.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Maybe the targets you have put are too high, or maybe you have tio many targets! You must target to a lower lever which will be at your measures.

aqqr

aqqr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been honing my skills for almost a year now and have played a lot online and quite a bit live, but have yet to bee in the green (profit). In live tournaments I keep getting out pretty close to the bubble and it certainly is frustrating. I love playing but if I only continue to lose money, at what point do I accept that not all players can be winning players and just give it up?

Hey. Please do not stop to play. You can't always win. If you like playing, then even more so. The main thing is to find a friend with whom you could communicate, it is very important. Alone very bored learning.

Vuske111

Vuske111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont give up,just try to get better,learn about game,read books,watch training videos,watch twitch,get coach,anything that can get you better and you can become winning player too,never give up !

R

Rskeyyy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't give up if it's for fun, but if you want to earn money by plying poker... it's not a good idea. now i play on real money if i earn it in freerolls.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems roughly 15% of poker players are making any money.
Like you, I want to be part of this group.
My solution:
- play freerolls
- get sufficient BR
- when I'm sure ROI is ok, then start at low buy in
known disadvantage: building BR from freerolls is very slow.

guccipix

guccipix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I think if I had a close friend or two who also grinded it might be better. Thanks for the motivation!

guccipix

guccipix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I’ve decided I’m gonna try to build up slowly with freerolls- if you win it’s great, if you lose, you’re not losing money

Leomil

Leomil

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You cant see things like this! you need to study your game to find leaks and improve them, and continue playing tournaments, trying to increase your volume of games... than you will start making money ;)

K

koskesh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You don’t have to go broke trying and if this is a dream of yours then you certainly should never give up but simply adjust your choices of games appropriately i.e. play more freerolls if your bankroll is low or enter cheaper tournaments etc.

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would give up if it was no longer fun to play.

If you are going busto then I would only play recreationally.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think, you need more patience and little more discipline.
Try to play only freerolls. I am convinced, that over time you will start to make money.
Enjoy the game. Good luck.