thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The poker shows relied on 6 or 9 handed tables either play cash games or MTT. All those games were shut down with the Covid 19 quarantine. I guess we will have to wait for the players and the sponsors to comeback.

Don't watch TV but there is plenty on YouTube including livestreams. A lot of people teaching poker too, some know what they're talking about, others don't.

J

JOHNNYROD143

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
TV IS EXTINCT! I have never watched poker on T.V. Instead, as many other commentators have noted; YouTube is the way to go. There are endless hours of it on YouTube and I love it. The Phil Helmuth's and Negraneu that people used to see on T.V. don't bring people in any more. Instead, the vloggers of YouTube like Brad Owen's are the people who bring in new players. New times have brought out a new medium for watching poker. T.V. is of old and YouTube is of new.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
now there are lots of channels online , streamers ...the tv is not view as before , online exploded in all this many forms

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I know you can watch any number of poker streamers these days and of course the big live events.
But why did all the smaller televised games seem to disappear?

I'm from the UK and used to love 'Late night poker'. I understand that the glory days of the general public liking poker may be over but it's a shame that some of the more quirky poker shows have gone (unless they haven't and i just don't know where to find them)

I am also from the UK and find more fun choosing games, I like to watch on Youtube, There are thousands upon thousands, including Late Night Poker, and The Shark Cage, which was one of my favorite show's, another series I enjoyed watching was where a unknown amateur would take on 5 Pro's and keep everything they made over and above the 100 K they were staked in a High Roller game.
I do miss the old games that featured players like Dave Ulliott (Devil Fish) and the lads from The Hendon Mob, but a lot of the playing styles they used, seem outdated by today's standard of play.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

martinlgs

martinlgs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Two fundamental reasons ..
The quarantine still has everything turned off, television and the transmission of these events helped the first massive impulse of poker, that is undoubted, the second wave of promotion was due to the internet.
And this, the internet, is the second reason that TV has been displaced, not only from poker itself, few sponsors and in Yoput Twictch is the content.

Still I think there will be some big events coming back to TV in the next few years.

Normino

Normino

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It still on where I live on sportsnet, I just don't know for sure if the games are live or replays.

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Idk..I see it on but its probably some live but probably reruns because of the the covid stuff. Its on cable TV in the evenings or at night sometimes I jus don't pay attention to it to much anymore. Good luck.

M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I am also from the UK and find more fun choosing games, I like to watch on Youtube, There are thousands upon thousands, including Late Night Poker, and The Shark Cage, which was one of my favorite show's, another series I enjoyed watching was where a unknown amateur would take on 5 Pro's and keep everything they made over and above the 100 K they were staked in a High Roller game.
I do miss the old games that featured players like Dave Ulliott (Devil Fish) and the lads from The Hendon Mob, but a lot of the playing styles they used, seem outdated by today's standard of play.

When the fun Stops, STOP!
I also like these shows, and sometimes I watch them on you-tube too. It was from these shows that I learned about online poker.

Viper ChipIt

Viper ChipIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep I agree, I grew up watching WPT on a Friday night on FOX8 ( Australia ) and the wsop on ESPN. Used to be my favourite shows, old school Gus Hansen was the best player to watch. Good old days

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
America happened

Poker being illegal plays a major part! Companies like PokerGo don't help! Triton was a breath of fresh air!

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Not seeing live poker on tv, but lots of recorded stuff still out there.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I live in brazil and here poker is growing so I see more poker on TV nowadays than 10-15 years ago. Of course it does not compare to other sports, but the main events of poker are on TV, which would be unthinkable a few years ago.

J

jason2626

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Big Jay wants to know

When I was growing up it was popular ivy and so I missed watching wpt

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know you can watch any number of poker streamers these days and of course the big live events.
But why did all the smaller televised games seem to disappear?

I'm from the UK and used to love 'Late night poker'. I understand that the glory days of the general public liking poker may be over but it's a shame that some of the more quirky poker shows have gone (unless they haven't and i just don't know where to find them)
I believe that television is losing some space in the media to the internet.
But there is also the issue of the pandemic.
It's for reflection.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
I believe that television is losing some space in the media to the internet.
But there is also the issue of the pandemic.
It's for reflection.
Streaming will take over if it hasn't already.

:)

Bambini7777

Bambini7777

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
they disappeared because their ratings fell and there is no point in doing them:eek:

NiallPlays

NiallPlays

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I watch a lot of live play on twitch, it’s about as good as it gets at the moment

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
When black Friday hit poker became taboo. Sponcers dropped all there sponsorships and TV did not want to promote the game due the questionably of online games. Its dad how that one dumb moment in time changed and ruined suce a good thing.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good afternoon.Thanks to poker tv shows like High Stakes Poker or the WSOP Main Event on ESPN,I knew this nice game.These days only on YouTube we can watch some live events. like the WSOP Europe.I don´t like to watch Twitch streamers too much.

TCHUCO2005

TCHUCO2005

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello, we had some tv poker programs, the problem is that now they all went on the internet, and the nostalgia is over. Are we turning professionals?????

Belpster

Belpster

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know i can still watch the big live events, using streaming services.
I was more lamenting the demise of the slower paced, lower budget shows like the UK's Late night poker. It was great seeing Devilfish, Boatman etc, chatting, joking and playing cards.
Watching a streamer is very different, its their perspective and not an overview.

Yeah, I miss those late night poker tv shows, I might look and see if they're downloadable, they were def one of the reasons I got into poker. Devilfish v Clive Sinclair... you can't make that up!!!

Pokerstar's tournaments used to be on ch4, James and Stapes, but this seems to have moved to their YouTube channel and this seems to be less so recently, maybe due to covid. I wonder if EPT Prague will be on TV or just YouTube.

A

AceOfJax

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The early 2000's was a huge boom for the poker scene. It went from being on tv almost never to being on almost constantly. I think the reason it's not on as much is because the craze died down. I sure wish it was on more often.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yeah i have not seen poker on tv for a long time either here in germany . which is very unfortunate . years ago there was a lot of poker televised here on sport channels . including poker after dark and / or high stakes poker

JOSEALBERTV

JOSEALBERTV

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, as a result of the pandemic, everything has changed, hopefully it is just a stage that must be overcome, so that everything returns to normal and we can continue to enjoy