What rules would you change?

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What rules would you change in poker? It can be for fun or a serious adaptation you think could help the game.

For example, I'd love to play a game where, if you get your opponent all-in with 51%+ equity then you win the pot automatically.

A slightly more serious idea is that in NLHE if the board pairs twice, or makes a straight, flush, quads etc., both of the cards that the players hold still decide where the pot goes.

Any other suggestions? :D

Henry Minute

Henry Minute

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For online poker I would like to see the introduction of the new tournament rule where the player has to be seated when the first card is dealt.

I am sick of being ambushed when I bet knowing the only other player is sat out, only for them to suddenly re-raise me.

lulu pk

lulu pk

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I want the poker without the river card.
Only the flop/turn
You can imagine way i won't that i m sick of the river bad beat.
Good luck on the table

ccocco

ccocco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
would like my players to be charged more prizes in tournaments, at least half of those who played the tournament ... well maybe more players are encouraged to come to the table. eg if 1dolar tournament 1000 players are logged charged 500

L

loomis311

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"If you get your opponent all-in with 51%+ equity then you win the pot automatically"

This is a good idea, but I think it would drive all the fish away. They have to win sometimes otherwise they are not going to play. I know how frustrating it is to get drawn out on. It has happened to me plenty, but your rule would take so much from the game.

It would also change the game in other ways. For example, sometimes you put a large amount of money into the hand and when you get raised you know you are behind, but you call because of the pot odds.

Salvete777

Salvete777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No one. I think all of rules are perfect, maybe sometimes it is unbelivable if you lost all in on river, but other time you will win and say thanks to river. It was just a example.

A

AcesUp747

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"If you get your opponent all-in with 51%+ equity then you win the pot automatically"

This is a good idea, but I think it would drive all the fish away. They have to win sometimes otherwise they are not going to play. I know how frustrating it is to get drawn out on. It has happened to me plenty, but your rule would take so much from the game.

It would also change the game in other ways. For example, sometimes you put a large amount of money into the hand and when you get raised you know you are behind, but you call because of the pot odds.

I swear I heard about some site doing some sort of insurance thing where bad beats couldnt happen. Can't remember where I saw it, but I know it was a real site.

Mr Sandbag

Mr Sandbag

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cards DON'T read. Player has to declare his hand.

akran75

akran75

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no rebuy,,no late registration,every tournaments..

B

BomTombadil

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd like it if only losing players were allowed to sit at my tables. That would make the game really fun for me!

G

gazrosenau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
remove ALL sitouts after the 1st level or remove sitouts when they are all in wwithout a showdown

WeenieSVK

WeenieSVK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
remove river hahah :D I would be a millionair already :D No seriously, I think no limit holdem is perfect, there is nothing to improve for me :)

WeenieSVK

WeenieSVK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
G

gazrosenau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
weenie they do it at stars but not at party, i just think every online room should do so

W

witch3lade

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ban any HUD, any calculator, datamining for hand review can stay.

Limit multitabling to 4.

Limit sitouts to one 5 minute sitout per hour and to two 2 people sitting out at the same time at 1 table.

80bb minimum buy-in for all cash games.

No hide from search option, no name changes, no avatar changes.

New texas holdem variant, special no limit - self CAP game. At any point in hand you cap your betting at a certain value. E.g. you have 200 stack, but you bet 20 preflop and "cap" it - that would treat you as "all-in" for that 20 and you wouldn't be allowed any more bets, same option to cap it on any street you want. This could really damage fish IMO. Maybe not... it would be an interesting experiment.

Mr Sandbag

Mr Sandbag

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Limit multitabling to 4.

Limit sitouts to one 5 minute sitout per hour and to two 2 people sitting out at the same time at 1 table.

New texas holdem variant, special no limit - self CAP game. At any point in hand you cap your betting at a certain value. E.g. you have 200 stack, but you bet 20 preflop and "cap" it - that would treat you as "all-in" for that 20 and you wouldn't be allowed any more bets, same option to cap it on any street you want. This could really damage fish IMO. Maybe not... it would be an interesting experiment.

That would be so awful. You'd have every fish capping their betting with draws, which eliminates a huge source of profit from players who call call-call-fold for the wrong price.

Example: Three players in the hand, Flop comes Ac-2s-8s (pot $8), you bet the 3/4 pot ($6), villain 1 calls $6 (making total pot: $20), villain 2 calls/caps with spade draw. Villain 2, who may have been a fish who would chase for any price in a normal holdem game, just made a profitable move. You can no longer bet him off the draw, and he has great odds on his flush hitting the next two cards.

Actually, come to think of it, I could make an incredible amount of money capping draws like that when I have the odds to do so...

W

witch3lade

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
That would be so awful. You'd have every fish capping their betting with draws, which eliminates a huge source of profit from players who call call-call-fold for the wrong price.

Example: Three players in the hand, Flop comes Ac-2s-8s (pot $8), you bet the 3/4 pot ($6), villain 1 calls $6 (making total pot: $20), villain 2 calls/caps with spade draw. Villain 2, who may have been a fish who would chase for any price in a normal holdem game, just made a profitable move. You can no longer bet him off the draw, and he has great odds on his flush hitting the next two cards.

Actually, come to think of it, I could make an incredible amount of money capping draws like that when I have the odds to do so...

You're already thinking the right way.... fish wouldn't know where to cap it. It would give a good player an additional mechanism. We would need to see this in practice.

Mr Sandbag

Mr Sandbag

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're already thinking the right way.... fish wouldn't know where to cap it. It would give a good player an additional mechanism. We would need to see this in practice.

We would. I'm torn between thinking fish would cap it without knowing the mathematical reasons for doing so and thinking they would not cap it in hopes of getting paid off if they hit. I mean, it could potentially be a gold mine for anyone knowledgeable enough to cap it when they've got the odds to do so. I may have to test this out at a home game...

EDIT: There would have to be some sort of rules regarding the capping. I don't think it'd be a good game if anyone could cap it at anytime. Maybe only one person can cap it per street? Or you can only cap if there has been one bet (any raise eliminates capping for that street).

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sitters gone, people who fold to sitters gone, no late reg

LeeCallaghan

LeeCallaghan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Me too! Rarrrrrr those damn rivers!
=( its killing me!:(
I want the poker without the river card.
Only the flop/turn
You can imagine way i won't that i m sick of the river bad beat.
Good luck on the table

A

AcesUp747

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Limit multitabling to 4.

When you outlaw HUD's, only the outlaws will have HUD's.

How do you plan on policing such a policy?

Don't you find it interesting that no site in history has successfully banned HUD's?

The multitabling thing is fine, the softest sites allow the least tables. Most regs like myself would end up multisiting like 3 or more sites anyway.

The capping idea is awful tho. It's No limit for a reason, go play cap if you don't like to play for stacks.

W

WizardRubic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Don't you find it interesting that no site in history has successfully banned HUD's?

Didn't Bovada nerfed it pretty well with anonymous playing?

I'd change the age restrictions down to 16. We can already drive at 16. Why no poker? Poker is safer than driving. The only thing you can harm is your wallet.

Sure, there'll be an influx of noobs at the freerolls. But there will also be an influx of noobs in the cash games so it'll balance out. :)

J

jimmylytle2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I was just the big and small blind on a table, I would want a rule that if I am moved to another table, I am not forced to be the small or big blind 1 hand later. So many games, I would money and this just puts me several positions out of the money because I was forced to be a big blind and small blind on 2 separate tables in a row.

W

witch3lade

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

The multitabling thing is fine, the softest sites allow the least tables. Most regs like myself would end up multisiting like 3 or more sites anyway.

The capping idea is awful tho. It's No limit for a reason, go play cap if you don't like to play for stacks.

Removing HUD would actually be very easy - no more text or xml hand history = no more HUD.

As for CAP game... I didn't say I'd replace NL with it.

I thought this was a fun thread...

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sitters gone, people who fold to sitters gone, no late reg

I would agree with "people who fold to sitters gone"

But why get rid of sitters? If you cannot outlast a player who is folding every single hand, then you don't deserve to cash.

*side note: yes, I have been beat by a sitter who cashed when I didn't

Poker Rules - Poker Games