What is my problem

N

NeoBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys I got a question and don't really know the answer. I have been playing good and all of a sudden when playing i will have a draw or a hand that i know isn't going to win and someone will go all in and if i lose i am out. I do this with cash games too. So I call knowing I am beat i just tell myself F___it and go all in myself. Why do I do this? I don't know but it is killing my game. I have a problem and don't know what it is. Is that tilt or what. I will be doing good in the game till this happens and it happens a lot. What is this and why do i do it.

J

Jai_R

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sounds like you are on tilt and opening for a better outcome. I used to do it and still sometimes I do especially if I am low stack. So it all depends. I had a poker buddy tell me you cant lose your chips if they are not in the pot. I think about being pot committed, but sometimes it is best fold and live to see another hand. Just start saying NO and fold. Good luck.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It sounds like you are getting bored. Possibly because the stakes you are playing at are too low for you. Put a few hundred dollars on the line and I think you will feel quite differently.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The first step in stopping this pattern is recognizing it, which most people won’t, so you’re way ahead of the game by posting about it here! As you’re aware of, getting it in bad when you don’t have the odds to do so is a self-defeating activity that will really reduce your ROI in the long run.

I’d recommend committing yourself to having a very firm knowledge of the pot odds you need in various spots to be correct to get it in with non-made hands. CardsChat has a lot of great free articles on this that should help. Instead of feeling mad at yourself for getting it in bad, then you’ll be able to confidently and correctly identify those spots when you think you’re getting the right price even though you may be behind your opponent’s range overall. Hope this helps and best of luck! :)

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
This means that it is hard for you to control your emotions. I recommend that you try meditation. Sometimes I do meditation twice a day and it always helps me to control my emotional state and be focused.

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey guys I got a question and don't really know the answer. I have been playing good and all of a sudden when playing i will have a draw or a hand that i know isn't going to win and someone will go all in and if i lose i am out. I do this with cash games too. So I call knowing I am beat i just tell myself F___it and go all in myself. Why do I do this? I don't know but it is killing my game. I have a problem and don't know what it is. Is that tilt or what. I will be doing good in the game till this happens and it happens a lot. What is this and why do i do it.

Sounds like Tilt to me.... "Tilt" is soooo Bad, when you type it in to party poker Chat box, XXXX comes out....

:eek::eek::eek::D

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Perhaps you are very confident in the variance in your favor.
Tilt

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
If you are very emotional, I do not recommend you to play cash games. It is better for you to start playing freerolls and thus train your patience and learn to control your emotions.
Good luck.

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's stupid. Need to learn read books watch video, The principles of poker game. Craving for such actions you have to decrease. Develop!

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, sometimes. Good Board, you have a good hand, all chances are on your side, but you have a strong feeling that if you bet you lose. It's instinct. It's hard to explain. There are times that contrary to any logic you need to do as you say the inner voice.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker is necessary to folder at the right time especially in an MTT. you have to be patient and wait for the right spot especially at the end of the game. you must continue to train and be rigorous and disipline. taking all the time before each decision helps to avoid committing too much error.

abwil2

abwil2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Ive had the opposite problem last 3 days best hand gets beat every time to put me out.. Had a good run for couple days but now it doesnt matter what i do I lose. 3 outers 2 outers and even longer shots(straights) are hitting like its the best there is. and i have no clue what to do. Im very patient. I dont play shit hands like i see everyone else winning with or you see every one elses best hand holding but mine. Im so fkin frustrated right now. been playing .50 cent sng 1 sng and 1.50 9 man and 3 dollar 9 man and ive went from 40 to 7 bucks in 2 days from bs bad beats every dam time to put me out. i would love to be stupid and play a shit hand and lose but that isnt whats happening. Im not good to even be in same house with after all this BS. How am i supposed to build a roll if i cant beat a fkin donk or calling station?

R

razzor94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually when that happens you make that decision very fast( at least that was the case for me)
Even though I still have that issue I found that thinking long and hard before every play for your tournament life or your stack in cash games is essential.
Take a deep breath and use your time bank as you are supposed to.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The first step in stopping this pattern is recognizing it, which most people won’t, so you’re way ahead of the game by posting about it here! As you’re aware of, getting it in bad when you don’t have the odds to do so is a self-defeating activity that will really reduce your ROI in the long run.

I’d recommend committing yourself to having a very firm knowledge of the pot odds you need in various spots to be correct to get it in with non-made hands. CardsChat has a lot of great free articles on this that should help. Instead of feeling mad at yourself for getting it in bad, then you’ll be able to confidently and correctly identify those spots when you think you’re getting the right price even though you may be behind your opponent’s range overall. Hope this helps and best of luck! :)

My first thoughts were not applying pot odds. Glad I read through the replies before posting, because I would't have said it so eloquently. If used correctly in those type of scenarios, you would be plus ROI.

+1

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My first thoughts were not applying pot odds. Glad I read through the replies before posting, because I would't have said it so eloquently. If used correctly in those type of scenarios, you would be plus ROI.

+1

Thanks for the nice compliment, MrPoker :)

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Ive had the opposite problem last 3 days best hand gets beat every time to put me out.. Had a good run for couple days but now it doesnt matter what i do I lose. 3 outers 2 outers and even longer shots(straights) are hitting like its the best there is. and i have no clue what to do. Im very patient. I dont play shit hands like i see everyone else winning with or you see every one elses best hand holding but mine. Im so fkin frustrated right now. been playing .50 cent sng 1 sng and 1.50 9 man and 3 dollar 9 man and ive went from 40 to 7 bucks in 2 days from bs bad beats every dam time to put me out. i would love to be stupid and play a shit hand and lose but that isnt whats happening. Im not good to even be in same house with after all this BS. How am i supposed to build a roll if i cant beat a fkin donk or calling station?

Hello
I feel you
Having the same identical problem.

Solution;- waiting my while.
Not getting frustrated and accepting what is happening and hoping it passes soon.:)

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try to force yourself on freerolls not to enter dubious moves. If your gut tells you what you need to fold, then you do it. It happens that the intuition brings and says not correctly. But such cases are few.

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wel on tournaments those risk are even desarable at some points if you want to win big field one, but in cash game everything is maths...

D

Damian Air

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds like you've suffered some bad beats and you're psychologically locked in certain circumstances. It takes practiced discipline to shake off fatalistic attributes once collected. Remind yourself NOT to prove yourself right when you have that fatalistic voice in your head. Each hand played is a new opportunity to adjust, adapt and overcome, even fold.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey.
I think you need to see hand statistics when you didn’t want to call, but called, lost or won. And maybe you will find a way out and you will find a way to avoid mistakes. It will also be an additional incentive not to play these cards in the game.

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
NeoBandit
I see you have a lot of problem posts ..., write your problem, the most difficult, and I will try to help you solve it. What would you like to get rid of?

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi hi
i had that problem a LOT and it caused me to bust out of tournaments knowing i had the worst hand!
i discussed it with a friend/coach (shoulda been a psychiatrist)
i finally figured why i often do such a suicidal thing...
i am an independent young girl .. i no like be pushed around by men lol
so that's why i wouldn't fold to a guys shove
dumb huh?
so i know now and i do it less - less... i workin on it lol

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
It comes from bad habit you probably have won many times before in same spot and believe you can do it again. Just because you won a hand once does not make it right play.

"So I call knowing I am beat i just tell myself F___it and go all in myself"

This is the main cause of your problem you must take your time and consider all options on every street and have a plan from start to finish for hand. examples- before betting consider if I bet x what am I trying to accomplish? and if player goes all in when i bet what am I doing? do I really have best hand here? do I want to risk all of my stack with the holdings I got or can I wait for a better spot?

When starting out the best thing is to take a couple of sessions or tournaments and write out your decision making on a piece of paper for every hand played. Do this a few times and you will start to see areas you can improve on and it will get you thinking about hands. When it is physically there to read it sometimes easier to spot your mistakes than if it is just in your head.

Here is a link to some great content here at Cardschat. I suggest reading all of it (Except for the non-holdem games parts if you are holdem only player).

Do not try to read all of it at once read a little bit each day. I suggest reading "Getting Into Poker: 8 Lessons" and "The Math of Poker" sections multiple times there are very important information in those.

https://www.cardschat.com/poker-strategy.php

VivicvrMga

VivicvrMga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have already encountered the problem, now your focus should be the solution, ie no longer take the attitude that makes you less profitable.
Do not always give a hero call

frank174

frank174

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with Kate's response well thought out