What poker rooms can teach board game cafes

S

samu22

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Someone asked a question regarding board game cafe culture, which got me thinking about something that has been bothering me for a while.

When I walk into a poker room, I don't just sit down and start playing. I need to go to the front desk and inform someone what games I want to play. That individual writes my name or initials on a board, usually one that is visible to the public, so I can know where I am on the list. If the waiting line grows too lengthy, they may bring in a dealer and begin a fresh game. The point is that this service is included in the price, or rake, I pay as a player.If I travel to another city and want to play a game, I may not have enough time to go on MeetUp or BGG and find a group of people to play with. It's strange to approach a group of people, most of whom I'm sure know each other, and ask if I can join them in Maracaibo. And, let's face it, no one is going to approach a stranger and ask if they want to play a game.Also, if the store assists in game steering, players will be aware that this is a possibility and will be prepared for it. This appears to be a win-win situation... and I'd even pay a few dollars to have my name written on a marker board next to the words "would play any Euro or 18XX."

In any case, why don't more cafés do more to encourage people to play games?

Edit: I love how I'm reading roughly equal amounts of "This is ridiculous and would never work" and "There is a place near me that already does something similar to this." I'm not sure what else to say about gamers and gaming culture in general if it doesn't sum it up.

I'll probably just sit off to the side, sipping coffee and watching people play... but if the café can get me into a game, I'll stay longer, spend more money, and, most importantly, return to play more games.

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
hello

If it would be good, in my country I have played with unknown people and I have had a lot of fun apart after a while socializing with them and making friends and sharing games once or twice a week, unfortunately due to the pandemic it has been cut! but those times of coffees and games will return!

Top 10 Games