what are people thinking ??

T

tuckerthecat

Guest
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Total posts
32
This just happened in a $20.00 SnG I was in...

Blinds were 10/20 ( start at 5,10 ) & were about to go up to 15/30, I havent played a single hand yet ( including BB thanks to pre flop raises )
My cards were just horrific so I was in small blind & decided I was going to play the next hand like I had AA no matter what I was delt ( as long as nobody raised pre flop )
3 limpers before me, I'm delt K,8 ( best hand I've had all SnG ) I raise 60, 2 call, 1 fold. Flop comes 4d,10d,5c, I lead out with a pot size bet ( $200 ) 1 fold & 1 call ( uh oh ). The turn is a Qs, ( ok hopefully he is on a draw I think, & raise all-in ) I have this guy covered by 200 or so chips & he calls!!@

Oh god I'm going to be crippled & embarrased, going all in with K high..what does he have...

2c,3h!!!!!!!! omg I'm winning

river.....Ace

I lose

Very next hand I'm delt AK, I raise 60 get 2 callers.

flop comes A, 9, 6 I go all in & get called by 7,10 & lose when he catches the gutshot.

I find lately that I get my pre flop raises called often by complete junk & end up paying them huge when there junk turns into a monstor on the flop, turn or river.
 
T

tuckerthecat

Guest
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Total posts
32
re

I had to post an update cause this was even worse!

10th or so hand of a SnG

I'm in the BB & get delt AA! UTG raises to 60 ( blinds are 5,10) , 3 people call. I re-raise to 200 ( keep in mind everyone starts with only 1000 chips ) 2 people fold, 2 people call.

the flop comes Qs, 9s, 5d

I am paraniod about getting my AA sucked out on so I just lead off all-in, well they both insta called

villian #1 shows 5s,8s

villian #2 show Qh, Jc

J came on the river, I lose to two pair!

I've about given up, I think I'd be better off sitting out till all the morons bust out. Having your aces cracked by crap like this is really really frustrating to say the least.
 
joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Joined
Jan 14, 2006
Total posts
4,193
yes. it is a good idea to not play the first several hands of a tourney and get a read on the table.
 
F

Fish

Rock Star
Joined
Feb 5, 2006
Total posts
367
So you made a Donk play, then got sucked out on? What's the issue??
 
KillerKat

KillerKat

Guest
Joined
Aug 30, 2005
Total posts
240
Fish said:
So you made a Donk play, then got sucked out on? What's the issue??

Oh Fish , your full of wonderful responses.:rolleyes:
 
t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Joined
May 20, 2005
Total posts
6,914
Awards
1
The AK hand was a bad beat. K, 8 is not a bad hand to bluff with but after the flop and a call on your raise you shouldn't have gone all in. Still, luck wasn't on your side on this sit n go.
 
Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Joined
Apr 13, 2005
Total posts
4,281
Awards
1
joosebuck said:
yes. it is a good idea to not play the first several hands of a tourney and get a read on the table.

Even with Aces in the hole? That's pretty tight joose.
 
Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Champion
Joined
May 21, 2005
Total posts
13,273
Awards
9
#2 buyin SNG. Pretty normal play. $5 buyin SNG pretty normal play. online poker.
 
zinzan1000

zinzan1000

Legend
Joined
Feb 13, 2006
Total posts
1,716
Seems you are risking all of your chips very early in the S&Gs you have described.
Maybe the trouble can be found therein.
Unless they are short handed Turbo's, i think you should slow down a little.
Good luck.

zinzan1000
 
JessieBear15331

JessieBear15331

Legend
Joined
Mar 6, 2006
Total posts
1,022
Take zinzan's(Uncle Zinny!) advice; slow your play. Believe me, it's worth it in the end. One thing I've learned by playing SNGs and reading about them here at CC is; be patient. Patience is key. You did pull a donk move, but we'll forgive you, you being new and all. Just try to improve (read articles, books, etc.), and try to slow your game!
 
twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Joined
Apr 24, 2005
Total posts
2,380
Sit and go's are very fun to play.

Your 1st hand, you were impatient. The blind were extremly low still and you raise with K,8 in a bad position, bad equity value based apon that position with others to act behind you. Going to guess that you played at most 30 hands before the K,8. How many notes did you have on the other players? Did you watch thier betting habits? See what cards they like to play? Is there a passive player at the table that won't raise with a top 10 pre-flop hand? Is there a player who limps in alot no matter what position?
Is there someone who likes suited cards? When you aren't getting the cards this is where you should be paying attention and taking notes.

The 2nd hand even though you lost to the gut shot straight is what they like to call taking out the guy with the small stack. If there is a chance to take out the small stack on such a small %, most people will call it.

With your AA's you did the correct thing. The %'s do even themselves out completly but you have to remember that they aren't always guaranteed to win.
 
twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Joined
Apr 24, 2005
Total posts
2,380
And never slow play a top 10 pre flop hand. The more people you let in the hand ,the more chance you have for that hand losing to the inferior hands.
 
joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Joined
Jan 14, 2006
Total posts
4,193
dont think i said to fold the aa, just said not to play many hands at the start of a sng. not that hard to lay down the mediocre paint hands like kj/kq/k10...
 
CYP05

CYP05

Guest
Joined
Mar 27, 2006
Total posts
18
tuckerthecat said:
This just happened in a $20.00 SnG I was in...

Blinds were 10/20 ( start at 5,10 ) & were about to go up to 15/30, I havent played a single hand yet ( including BB thanks to pre flop raises )
My cards were just horrific so I was in small blind & decided I was going to play the next hand like I had AA no matter what I was delt ( as long as nobody raised pre flop )
3 limpers before me, I'm delt K,8 ( best hand I've had all SnG ) I raise 60, 2 call, 1 fold. Flop comes 4d,10d,5c, I lead out with a pot size bet ( $200 ) 1 fold & 1 call ( uh oh ). The turn is a Qs, ( ok hopefully he is on a draw I think, & raise all-in ) I have this guy covered by 200 or so chips & he calls!!@

Oh god I'm going to be crippled & embarrased, going all in with K high..what does he have...

2c,3h!!!!!!!! omg I'm winning

river.....Ace

I lose

Very next hand I'm delt AK, I raise 60 get 2 callers.

flop comes A, 9, 6 I go all in & get called by 7,10 & lose when he catches the gutshot.

I find lately that I get my pre flop raises called often by complete junk & end up paying them huge when there junk turns into a monstor on the flop, turn or river.

Why exactly would you go all in after you were called with your 200 bluff and you have bascially nothing? You should of laid it down there I would say 95% of the time you were dead when you were called even though in this case the guy had nothing.
 
A

Allsopp

Guest
Joined
Mar 19, 2006
Total posts
113
the minute you enter a hand with K 8, be prepared to lose to anything. its not a good hand, espiecially early on in a sit and go where fish are looking to get chips for cheap. no sympathy for plays like that...
 
AlurOne

AlurOne

Rock Star
Joined
Mar 30, 2006
Total posts
155
yeah i'm not sure about that K 8 hand - i think going all in was a little aggressive. then again, what was the other player thinking when they called you? when two players make the wrong play against eachother, something's gotta give, and he got the luck this time.

i feel your pain, however. this type of thing is happening to me a lot lately. just recently, i have AA pocket and bet large pre-flop - just to have a this donk decide to go all-in against my raise (he's short stacked, and i had him covered no problem). so i call him and he flips a 3 7 off suit. what is he thinking? well, turns out the FLOP is 4 5 6 and he doubles up off me with a straight. sometimes its tough playing with people who really don't know how to play, but over time these are the people that you want to have call you even though it ends up in a bad beat here and there. . .
 
Top