What are the odds of two people flopping a straight flush poker?

P

PokerSki

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What are the odds of two people flopping a straight flush in poker??

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I did some calculations and I'm gonna call it pretty friggin slim.

rrickir

rrickir

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was confused ,as if you meant in the same hand or just at the same table in different times of the game ,lol ,,,, in the same hand and both on the flop? I honestly don't think that would ever happen the odds are probably astronomical you probably have more chance of winning a huge Powerball lottery:)

mathtree

mathtree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The odds of being dealt a straight flsuh are 1 in 64,974 as for being dealt one on the flop.. Not sure.. It depends on your hole cards. The best odds are with mid range suited connectors, specifically 45s to JTs. For example, with 45s, you have 4 possible ways of flopping a straight flush (A23s, 236s, 367s, and 678s) for both I don't know but I saw in a video of a wsop hand one guy flopped a royal flush and his opponet rivered 4 aces and when he hit the rail the announcer said it was 3.1 billion to 1...but it happened. It's on you tube.

elflake

elflake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So just assuming the basic odds of hitting a straight flush, the chance of two players having one is .00000000024%. That number is even smaller taking into account that both players have to be dealt specific suited connectors such that they both can have a straight flush at the same time, and delimiting it to just the flop gets us into the trillions to one level. In all my years of playing poker I have been involved in one straight flush over straight flush hand in Holdem and two in Seven Stud.

H

have

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
flop

2 on flop 0 not possaible .havefunAA ok went back and looked you said str f iwas thinging rf so could heappen but astromakiel odds still real slim .havefunAA

Last edited:
D

DTM22

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I had this exact scenario happen to me! I had 9h10h, he had 4h5h, flop came 678 all hearts. I'm a poker dealer and this is still to date the craziest hand I've ever seen and will likely ever see. Anyone able to compute the odds of this happening?! I'm all too curious

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The odds are very small for getting such combinations, I once had such a situation in the game that I caught a straight flush and another player also had a down flash straight flush combination I had 67 tambourines on hands and the had 8- on the table 9-10 tambourine - and the player had JQ tambourine cards and we got two straight flush but I lost the hand!

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Losing with a straight flush, what a cooler!

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think no one and never flopping a straight flush in poker is a very strong combination, and the probability that both will have a straight flush is very small.

K

kraurwhite

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
it is not possible to give an exact answer without knowing the pocket card.
for exampleA2 or AK suited hasless chance than 78 suited of hitting the st flush

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As often happens I spent an hour replying to a thread only to time out before I can post it. Alas you are all rewarded with the cliff notes version of the original.

Odds of you specifically losing with a straight flush to a royal flush are 77260583400:1,
but the AK vs 98 situation is only 1 of 8 SF over SF situations so the odds drop to 9657572925:1.

But your question wasn't about you specifically losing SF over SF but rather witnessing it at the table. Assuming that there are ten players at the table and each player has an equal chance of drawing the short end of the straw I will say that the odds increase by a factor of 20 bringing the likelihood of witnessing such an event down to a rather mundane 482878646.25:1.

Playing live at a zippy 25 hands per hour and say you play 10 hours/week you should see this about one every 38000 years, so the last time it happened would have been at that awesome home game in your cave at Lascaux.

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yesterday I made a straight flush on the turn, my opponent made a straight flush older than mine. When I called him allin I thought what chances he would have a straight flush too. It turned out that the odds are 100%

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If you play at pokerstars (or any other client that involves money) you must have imagined that 92.86% probability of winning is just a mathematical number so that we can better tolerate (or quantum mechanics) the variances.

Hand

:kc4: :flute:

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had this exact scenario happen to me! I had 9h10h, he had 4h5h, flop came 678 all hearts. I'm a poker dealer and this is still to date the craziest hand I've ever seen and will likely ever see. Anyone able to compute the odds of this happening?! I'm all too curious
To add the math, (but it depends the interpretation of the question):
the flop is given: 3 card in a row of same color, with lowest >3 and highest < K
player A has the 2 lower hole cards, chance: 1/49 * 1/48 = 1/2352
player B has the 2 higher hole cards, chance: also 1/2352
The chance of both happening in the same hand: 1/(2352*2352) = 1/5531904
Note:
if you flop the lower straight flush like this: the chance of someone else having the better straight flush is 1/2352

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had 4d5d pocket, flop came 3d6d7d, two players went all-in and I called, first player shows AdJd, second player shows 8d9d, the turn was 10d. Not all on the flop, but that is the closest I seen.

skaniol

skaniol

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Yesterday I made a straight flush on the turn, my opponent made a straight flush older than mine. When I called him allin I thought what chances he would have a straight flush too. It turned out that the odds are 100%
According to Murphy's law, that's correct. Better fold it next time!…………………………… J/k <; according to the same law, a fold there surely means that you folded the best hand.

Seriously, considering how more than half of the 5 cards of each player are shared on the flop by all players in a poker game like Texas Holdem (involving community cards), it's more likely that the players will hold similar 5 card hands (flushes, straights), so flush vs flush and straight vs straight should be more common than one would think.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To add the math, (but it depends the interpretation of the question):
the flop is given: 3 card in a row of same color, with lowest >3 and highest < K
player A has the 2 lower hole cards, chance: 1/49 * 1/48 = 1/2352
player B has the 2 higher hole cards, chance: also 1/2352
The chance of both happening in the same hand: 1/(2352*2352) = 1/5531904
Note:
if you flop the lower straight flush like this: the chance of someone else having the better straight flush is 1/2352
The above numbers are 'not correct', looking a bit closer. Corrected, for heads up:
player A has the 2 lower hole cards, chance: 4/49 * 1/48 = 1/588
player B has the 2 higher hole cards, chance: 2/47 * 1/46 = 1/1081
The chance of both happening in the same hand: 1/(588*1081) = 1/635628
Note, not only for heads up:
- if you flop the lower straight flush like this: the chance of someone else having the better straight flush is 1/1081, or 0.1% per other player in the hand.
- if the flop shows as above, and you don't block any straight flush, the chance of each player still in the hand having a straight flush is 1/588, or 0.17%. example: with a 7 way flop, there is 6/588 = 1% chance of someone else having a straight flush.

Full Flush Poker Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator