What motivates you to play when you're not in the mood?

F

freeisfun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Feeling super unmotivated to play today. But I have to because I'm chasing a leader board . Currently sitting in 3rd place can't afford to not play.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Played a league where it was weekends and about 4 month session. Towards the end, it became a struggle to stay motivated and even play. Lot of events would show up and have turn them down.

Main motivation was the results. Trying to always stay in the top ten and then take top three spot. Only reason at the end where didn't "phone in" a game.

D

DenGybka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, usually when I don’t want to play, in general, I’m more specific, I get bored with playing, but I immediately understand that, for example, I wasted time, and time is money. And so I'm going to play, because I don't want to just waste the time I put in.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the only thing that motivates me to play when I don’t want is like your case, only if I’m playing to reach top position on a leaderboard or if I’m already involved in league games. Also if it’s going to have a very good value freeroll, because I know that when I play with real money when I don’t want, I always lose.

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
When I'm not in the mood, I look for the elixir in the game at the table.

JimmyBrizzy

JimmyBrizzy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It’s tough when your trying to put in volume and the motivation isn’t there. I haven’t really found a way because when I’m too tired and force myself to play I’m more susceptible to tilt and making poor decisions. If you want to be profitable you have to play when motivated and energized. I understand you are chasing the leaderboard so you feel obligated.

Something that does motivate me to play is watching YouTube poker videos for instruction or just hands with my favorite players.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Almost nothing can motivate me in bad mood. Maybe only winning some flip coin, and doubling my stack.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
Well in my personal case ... I set goals that I can achieve in the short, medium and long term ... so in this way I try to always have my motivation at the top ... and a tip never play poker if not they have motivation ....

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Chance to KO all haters (in cc games) perhaps

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Feeling super unmotivated to play today. But I have to because I'm chasing a leader board . Currently sitting in 3rd place can't afford to not play.
When not in the mood to play higher stakes nothing motivates me to play them,
freerolls I am always inclined to play as no big downswings in them that can crush your motivation in bigger buy in games though.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good morning.When I´m playing a poker league like the Poker School Leagues we had some years ago on StarsAlso,if there is a good freeroll to play like CC ones

F

fefibecerra

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I realized that when I'm not in the mood it's best not to play at all. I forced myself to do it, but my mind just wasn't into it and ended up playing really badly. Since then I've decided that I need some time to focus before I start playing and depending on how I'm feeling I decide whether I should go ahead or not.

BigCountryAA

BigCountryAA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing. I wasn't in the mood for the last 5 years or more and I just didn't play. Recently came back and have been enjoying it again.

DizzyDeb717

DizzyDeb717

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'm not sure I need motivation, as much as distraction when I'm in that mood. I'll hop in 1-2 cheap side trnies. I find my patience is gone when I'm not in the mood, and I have "fk it" calls way too often. lol If i play a trny or 2 on the side, it seems to help me.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
My opinion is that the answer to this question will usually be subjective and therefore what might work for one might not work for another..

Personally, I have some core goals/ambitions/dreams that motivate me pretty well almost always I guess..

Also, hindsight is wonderful of course but, it's wise not to overreach with what we commit to playing and make sure we're leaving ourselves enough downtime to decompress.

Gotta do what you gotta do at the end o' the day and in the situation where you're obliged and not 100%- give it your best and that's all that can be asked of you.

Regards,

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should watch this video. Damn Elliot is such a m********er, I got motivation after 10 seconds listening his passionated voice

R

Ricardo_lhp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is difficult to answer because I never feel unmotivated to play, sometimes I may be tired or have to do something else, but on the day that I am unmotivated it means that I no longer have the same passion for poker as before.

maksonios

maksonios

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Music and poker streams - best motivation

brunonick269

brunonick269

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I learned to play without mood, if you are a winner and if you survive of this you hqave to know that dometimes you play anyway.

S

sn0112

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing. I don't play if I'm not in the mood.

In fact, I make sure I've got every personal task that's bugging me off my mind/completed before I play.

I've found that not being in the mood is a guaranteed way to tilt.

I understand that some cash game players may not have this luxury as they have to play to make money. For me it's a hobby so there is no point forcing it.

Szyilard

Szyilard

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi!

If there is no mood or you are just nervous then I think you should miss those occasions and not play. Only in money will one notice that there was no income in those days.

EmiTou

EmiTou

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am motivated to improve, to fulfill hundreds of thousands of hands in order to correct all the mistakes I have, the future motivates me