What is more important in poker? Math or psychology

julio gonzalez

julio gonzalez

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello. I think both are important. but I assign 80% to mathematics and 20% to psychology

ChubbySin

ChubbySin

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think psychology is more important than mathematics! Since math can count outs and your exit will close at a turn or on the river, this is probability theory and may not close. But psychology plays a big role here, you watch your opponent play and you can forcefully fold your hand stronger than your bluff, put pressure on him, if you have an advantage in chips, you can set various traps, make your opponent believe that you have nothing. What do you think?
Playing online, math! Playing live both

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think all aspects are important,
Mathematics, Psychology and game theory.

Psychology becomes more important when you are in a downswing which is inevitable in poker.

Mihail Grinvich

Mihail Grinvich

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If you take as a percentage, then to win poker you need to have good skills: in psychology -70%, in mathematics -30%. But it is also worth highlighting: luck and strategy.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
Psychology and mathematics are equally important in poker. It is difficult to achieve good results if you are good at psychology but bad at mathematics, and vice versa :)
Good luck.

gena31

gena31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
I think all aspects are important, they complement each other. And the best thing is luck, without it you will at least be a laureate three times in mathematics and psychology, this will not help you.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I don't want to go deeper because I've studied psychology and I just like a branch of psychology that I can't take advantage of playing poker (The branch is that of Carl Gustav Jung) if you're a psychologist you know what I'm talking about. deep psychology.
As for poker, I will tell you that without mathematics we could not even play live poker, let alone online poker.
With this I already expressed what is most important to me.
Which does not mean that I respect your opinion. They are just disparate opinions like those of the rest of our colleagues.
I always say the same thing, you can be expressing all your aggressiveness against an opponent at a table, you consider him weak. That opponent is calling your bets because he has a hidden nut or a possible nut to hit. If the nut already has it or materializes, which is the mathematically perfect winning move, and you keep betting, your supposed aggressiveness collapses against the supposedly weak opponent.
If you took the CC course https://www.cardschat.com/strategy/become-a-winning-poker-player/
There you will realize the great influence of mathematics on your decisions, especially with regard to ranges and equity, it is very interesting.
But as I told you brother, I respect your opinion, I only express my concept freely.
Greetings and very good post. Everything that serves to analyze and think is essential for life itself, not only for poker.
Cheers;););)(y)(y)(y)

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Psychology is the more important, but both together makes for greater ITM games. Namaste mates.

angelluv725

angelluv725

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think Psychology and mathematics are both important in poker. Best wishes to all. 🍀. Namaste!

N

Niykk

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Both are important. However, I think math has an edge over psychology because If your game is only math-based, you will be winning in the long term; but if your game is only psychology based, then you'll lose.
Best case scenario is a mix of both.

nerobs9

nerobs9

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think both are important in poker.
The modern game has progressed so much that in order to stay at the top, you need to know both aspects of the game.
The basic things that worked before become public and elementary over time.
Therefore, it is necessary to put emphasis on both mathematics and psychology.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Math is more important than psychology by all means . But most important is to know how to play according to RNG standards , betlines , know the tricks . Maths and pot odds will then help you the most . It's disgusting the way players try to manipulate pot odds with RNG tricks , that's why many simply limp . Or some JokerStars , having 6-8 blinds , limping , then calling 4 ,5 or 6 BB or even almost all in , see the flop then all in and win . And then you ask if online poker is rigged or not , lol .

Rost

Rost

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Both factors are important. Only the combination of these factors can allow the player to receive a stable profit in the long term.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Really hate to put more preference on either. Should develop all skills, regardless what you think you might use or what is more important.

Only_player

Only_player

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
in modern poker, a combination of both of these factors is important. if you are a professional, then you should be well versed in both
also if u play online i think psychology not so important as math

Ketienne

Ketienne

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's more a hybrid of both. You have to be able to read your opponents to be profitable and at the same time make your decisions dependent on probabilities.

P

pokerD

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
I think both should be taken into account during the game. They need to be evaluated together, and aftermake a decision.

A

alabos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Psychology i think because its not easy too calculate all and never easy to play in front of computer so go with feeling and watch card on table

kucu2014

kucu2014

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think they're both equally important.

thwenth1983

thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Good morning everyone, in poker it is essential to master several fundamentals and between mathematics and psychology, in my opinion mathematics is the most important of the fundamentals, if you play your games according to equity, it will be profitable, but it takes a good psychological forever keep that line.
I have a little bit of math knowledge and I don't always play my hand according to the equity it has, but I'm trying to fix that.