Lipki3

Lipki3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Both of these are very important. I would even say that without one of these things it is impossible to win at poker.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I think psychology is more important than mathematics! Since math can count outs and your exit will close at a turn or on the river, this is probability theory and may not close. But psychology plays a big role here, you watch your opponent play and you can forcefully fold your hand stronger than your bluff, put pressure on him, if you have an advantage in chips, you can set various traps, make your opponent believe that you have nothing. What do you think?
Hello
Both together, as well as mastering poker strategies, knowing that psychology will help you a lot in live poker

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hate to be on the fence on this question but I think it is pretty equal. Math may be a little more important in my opinion though.

apLike

apLike

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
online poker is math, live poker is psychology. I think this is the most correct answer, based on the circumstances in which you are in each of these types of poker.

Stringy

Stringy

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
think psycology because you can make someone doubt the maths

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think psychology is more important than mathematics! Since math can count outs and your exit will close at a turn or on the river, this is probability theory and may not close. But psychology plays a big role here, you watch your opponent play and you can forcefully fold your hand stronger than your bluff, put pressure on him, if you have an advantage in chips, you can set various traps, make your opponent believe that you have nothing. What do you think?
The two points are very important, there is a balance for good performance.
However it can vary from person to person, some will have a harder time with math and others with psychology.
I find math easier, it is stable and accurate and with effort and exercise anyone can learn it. On the psychological side, I want to emphasize that it is not just about inducing or intimidating movements vs opponents at the table, but also a matter of self-knowledge, understanding your limitations, discipline and stability.

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sounds to me like if you'd followed the math, it was an easy win.
:LOL:
Well then, this is the overriding question, how to decide when to abandon mathematics and follow intuition?
And what decides what goes between one or the other?
When I was a beginner I had tried to play solely 'by the numbers', i.e. only according to the principles of probability and logic, disregarding all possible bluffs and behavioral patterns of my opponents, and my pockets were swiftly cleaned out. Alas, I was still very inexperienced. I became more careful and observant and step by step I found out that no matter which cards you're holding, if you can predict within a small margin of error the reactions of the other players, Poker becomes less a game of chance and more a stage on which you perform your role. If I play super aggressively for example, people shy away from seriously confronting me, regardless whether I've got anything or not, and if I play tight people believe me when suddenly I raise a large bet, even though I'm bluffing. Adapt, adapt, adapt, in whichever fashion you can afford at the moment and what exploits the weaknesses of others the most. I can't say that I've perfected this art, far from it in fact, or else I would've been rich by now.

It really is an art! Mathematical patterns only lend themselves to being used by you, and playing with them to your advantage. And not to follow them as rules.
It would be as if you thought you were chasing a lion to hunt him down while he was taking you to his den for dinner.:sneaky:🦁

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Both are important but I think math is more important because it is the basis of your play. We don't need to know it deeply to perform well though.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
For me psychology is more important although mathematics plays an important role. Mathematics is an exact science and poker is not exact like chess for example. So the mathematical domain needs to be supported by a strong psychology to work in Poker. I would say if you had to distribute 10 skill points between the two I would distribute 6 to psychology and 4 to math.
Poker math is used to calculate out odds and hand ranges.
Psychology is used to have self-control, strategy, cold blood, analyze opponents and apply your strategy.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Both of these factors are important, and psychology and mathematics. But in my opinion, the key factor is patience. Only patient players have a chance of success in the long term.

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very interesting your question, graii2011.
I understand that it's a blend of the two skills, math and psychology go together in poker. Anyone who knows how to reconcile these two sciences will certainly achieve success in poker.

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The most important thing is luck, no matter how you play a hand, if you have bad luck you will lose to AA KK etc.

reeseflamees

reeseflamees

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
I Think math , because is more important the probability of winning than the bluffing ore raising bet

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the beginning, psychology was more important for me, because I fell into tilt. Math is more important now

85champ07

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Both math and psychology are important in poker, but psychology will always trump math. Everyone at the table follows the same set of rules when it comes to math. As human computers we can assess the math to find out our odds at catching the flush on the turn card, but we can also use it to estimate our opponents cards, just to find out they had the Ace high flush all along. Our math skills can compute how many blinds we have; and if we have another opponents chip stack covered without putting us in danger.
In all reality, this is riding on psychology. The psychology of our mind can manipulate our gameplay. Our mental state can affect how we weigh out risk/reward, how we practice patience, and when we can recognize a weak/strong opponent. Making hero folds really suck and our brains are working hard to tell us to call and not back down. Discipline is the only way to train your mind. Taking care of your body and mind can help increase focus. Sleeping and eating habits can decide whether you win or lose on a regular basis. Want to win more than 50% of the time, take your mental state seriously. The other outlook to psychology is how you want to be perceived at the table. Bluffing or slow playing a hand can be thought of as external psychology and can sometimes be a dangerous practice, but again, recognizing positions, paying attention to opponents, and mental patience are the key.

choche0372

choche0372

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think both. The combination of psychology and math is the cornerstone of good play.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
my opinion it is the patience :)

J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In Zoom games I rely on math, but in tournaments, when I can observe, I would opt for psychology.

speper

speper

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Money with good management and keeping it

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What is very interesting about this question is, how does one know they have the psychology of poker correct? Honestly, even math too! Sometimes we can be overly analytical and it can misguide us. Poker is funny, you never are quite sure if your results are from proper strategy, or simply from "rungood." ;)

Because of this, I suggest a third practice of self-awareness/self-assessment/spirituality/whatever you want to call it. Reflection on the self! There we go! Wait, who said that?

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Math is most important on poker , to know how to play with offs with the RNG , to know how to play specific weak players

Maximus1980340

Maximus1980340

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
in poker, both factors are important, but we must not forget about patience, I think this is the most important thing, and then it's like nothing else lies on its way

S

S1cK

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
What math? In most cases its enough to know that two pairs give around 65% winrate. Just some simple knowledge. Psychology is much more important, especially via face2face

M

micchhaaeell

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Great question I think it’s 50/50