What mistake do you make the most when you play poker?

What mistake do you make the most when you play poker?

• Play too many hands

Votes: 13 14.1%
  • Bet the wrong amount

Votes: 10 10.9%
  • Bluff too much

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Play too tight

Votes: 14 15.2%
  • Play too predictable

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • other (please list)

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Mistakes? Me? You're kidding right? I'm the best poker player in the WORLD!

Votes: 9 9.8%

• Total voters
G

gtycoon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm thinking the mistake some poker players make the most is playing too many hands.

I sometimes bet the wrong amount.

Which mistakes do you make the most when you play poker?

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You seem to have forgotten a couple of crucial options for your poll:

1) Bastard

2) Cake

SeanyJ

SeanyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I overvalue top pair an unimproved overpairs. I know I do it and I'm thinking about it when I'm betting but I keep doing it like a moron.

PokerVic

PokerVic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I pay off the best hand on the river a little too often. But, only if the price is good.

R

RayG59

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Often I'll make the betting mistake of giving my opponent the right odds to call also I tend to play a little tight especially in tournys.

momoney2

momoney2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play way too long after I'm tired.
Play way too distracted, like reading and responding to poker forums while playing on-line. Whoops, there I go again.

flint

flint

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lately been forcing the action too much and not listening to what players tell me with their bets.

Mehman

Mehman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im in the other field, i find i play far after i feel that im playing my best poker, i'm usually good for about 4-5 hours most of the time anything after and i'm abit drained but still find myself on the tables :p.

l Love Beer

l Love Beer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^^ Agreed 100%

For one i play too much when i'm tired/frustrated... Often i will be up a couple of buy ins for a session, and before i know it it's all gone. Another would be that it is very hard for me to lay down big hands IE: just lost a combined $30 w/ a set of 10s to a straight, and with a straight to a rivered flush (he was firing the whole time w/ nothing more than 4 to a flush...) I'm trying to work on these though, especially the first one.

S

sin2win

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my problem is heads up i tend to get very aggrasive and dont stop. i get so happy raissing and reraising all the time that i often misread my oppent and lose, also i overplay my hands that way.

diamond_06_06

diamond_06_06

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably drinking beer while playing and not concentrating. I sometimes get bored playing and often surf the net or play the arcade games here on cardschat.

riverboatrat

riverboatrat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Allowing other people to catch up.

This mistake cost me a major tourney on Sunday.

I was probably triple the average stack and on my way to probably my biggest live cash when I got pocket 8's, I raised, there was a call then an all in, the all in was 2000 more chips, which I called so did the 3rd person.

The flop came qq8

and instead of moving all in on the flop, I checked hoping to extract a bet from the other caller who checked behind me, turn was a 10, I then bet out got raised, I reraised all in and he flipped pocket 10's

lesson learnt, when you have the best hand, protect it

fcumred

fcumred

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My biggest mistake is not knowing when to stop betting.

If I've got a marginal hand and someone raises me then I have to prove a point and try and go one better.

If I raise 200 and he raises over the top then I have to try to go one better and go all in. Only to be hit by a better hand.

If I could stop doing that then I would do far better.

I know I am doing it, and I know I shouldnt, but somehow I just keep on repeating the same basic mistake.

ukpi_hutch

ukpi_hutch

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play to tight I think, also I miss a lot of river bets.

N.D.

N.D.

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bluffing the unbluffable. I mean really, some people can't fold a pair. So I take a stab and cut myself instead of my opponent.

Beyond that? Not too sure, don't think I play too many hands since I play 6 max tables. Considering how many players in the bb will fold to a small raise or just check a call, I'd say 30% is probably average for even a good player at that size and penny stakes.

blott

blott

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm an hour into a tourney with 2-3k chips flop TPTK bet half my stack and call the raise leaving me all in and usually beat. Happens often but I never learn.:rolleyes:

newfyninja

newfyninja

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm horrible when I raise before the flop and then draw a blank. I'll raise with AQ for example and if the board hits J 8 3 I'll usually throw out a bet. I simply have no will power to check and show weakness.

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I misplay my BB when it's just me vs the SB in an unraised pot and I flop top pair. I keep calling, thinking "he can't have it that." Duh.

Oh! My biggest mistake at ring games is probably my love for green stats in PokerTracker. If I'm winning I have no problem leaving a game. But if I'm losing, even if the table is very difficult, I'll stay a lot longer than I should in an attempt to turn some sort of profit before leaving. It's a gross mismanagement of my time. I mean, I could move to other tables where I'm much more likely to win at a better rate, but I stick it out because I'm stubborn and don't want that red stat in Poker Tracker.

And in tournaments my biggest blunder is thinking that I have to be above average in chips, so I panic and overplay to catch up.

Last edited:
SAH89

SAH89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends which game, in Holdem I play too tight, in Omaha I sometimes over value my hand and sometimes I undervalue my hand, in Stud I value andy 2 pair too much.

R

rvp11

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My biggest mistake is not knowing when to stop betting.

If I've got a marginal hand and someone raises me then I have to prove a point and try and go one better.

If I raise 200 and he raises over the top then I have to try to go one better and go all in. Only to be hit by a better hand.

If I could stop doing that then I would do far better.

I know I am doing it, and I know I shouldnt, but somehow I just keep on repeating the same basic mistake.

Bingo! I have the same problem. Also bluffing the unbluffable.

Wolfpack43ACC

Wolfpack43ACC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Allowing other people to catch up.

This mistake cost me a major tourney on Sunday.

I was probably triple the average stack and on my way to probably my biggest live cash when I got pocket 8's, I raised, there was a call then an all in, the all in was 2000 more chips, which I called so did the 3rd person.

The flop came qq8

and instead of moving all in on the flop, I checked hoping to extract a bet from the other caller who checked behind me, turn was a 10, I then bet out got raised, I reraised all in and he flipped pocket 10's

lesson learnt, when you have the best hand, protect it

Yea the only reason to check down when you have someone ALL IN is because you didn't catch a nice piece of that flop. Learned from your mistake though. Guess the guy had more chips than you?

R

Ray

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once the money is in the pot, its no longer my money. Even so i have a hard time letting go. I know i am dominated, i know i cannot scare/bluff the other guy out of the hand but i try anyway:mad:

I sometimes wish I had my mom around to slap me once i start doing that.

Come to think about, perhaps not having my mom around to slap me is properbly my biggest mistake when playing poker.

North_Bank

North_Bank

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My mistake, maybe not slow plying as much as when I should. If I flop anything lower than a set, I dont' slow play, and that is not my problem, I did slow play top two pair before and too often it was a mistake. It's more like when I flop a set that I need to slow play more often. If someone is up against a set the chances of catching up is fairly slim and a risk I should be willing to take more often. If I flop a straight I dont like to slow play, maybe I should more, but all too often people have two pair and hit the boat, or the next card opens a further straight etc. I think I should take more risks, but Im just one not to slow play which works ok, but I know at times I could have waited.